Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small Forts - Elite seven only  (Read 1714 times)

Gomun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Small Forts - Elite seven only
« on: December 02, 2011, 05:05:26 pm »

What I'm after is stories about your small forts with only the original 7 dwarfs.
embark profiles, what you bring, skills for the dwarfs etc

Gomun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Small Forts - Elite seven only
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:04:47 am »

Doesnt anyone do this? I'm not at home right now, so I havent event started trying to create mine.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 01:06:54 am »

I haven't attempted anything like this - I like my forts to be large and busy - but the main issue I know some people come up against is that the first two migrant waves are hard-coded, so you would have to kill them before they became friends with any of the starting 7. I know this can be as simple as locking them out and waiting for them to starve, but I'm one of those rare people who try to look after everydwarf and keep them safe and happy. :p
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 01:21:12 am »

I've tried to do this, but watching the migrants starve outside causes me to open the gates and let everyone in. That's why I wish you could request/deny migrants when the caravans came, because it's not cool how they just show up uninvited.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 04:40:10 am »

I think the solution to that is walling the original 7 in and letting the migrants set up an outpost with their herded animals and the wagon wood.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Gomun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 07:39:44 am »

I think the solution to that is walling the original 7 in and letting the migrants set up an outpost with their herded animals and the wagon wood.
Thats... I might actually do that instead of just walling off the first 7 and letting migrants be. Gona try embarking in a more fierce biome than bunnies and badgers..
Any idea on embarking points/builds etc.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:05:47 am »

I sometimes play with a low pop cap and look after the founders and hard-coded migrants. I've never tried seperating them from the original 7, but that might be interesting.

I remember having a sealed fort once that wouldn't even trade with the outside world, but somehow the outpost liason managed to get inside. I think he may have dodged into the river and been swept into the cistern, where he climbed out of the emergency staircase into the maintenance tunnels, down into the drain, and then up into the well room. That's the only design flaw I remember having.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:09:43 am »

I just got idea related to this (?).

Starting seven wall themselves in a small area in the middle of map.
Migrant waves build new walls around the starting seven.
Each wave lives in its own area, until you run out space. Then survive!

Insane enough?
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 10:38:42 am »

I'm going to have to do that after this fort crumbles, that is genius.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 11:13:48 am »

If you can manage to find an island that will fit entirely within an embark, you should have no migrants. This only works if there are absolutely no tiles on the map edge; the last time I played an island fort was in 40d, so I'm not sure if migrants will just try to come in through the caverns now, but it's worth a shot. The main problem is finding an island that small in the first place, but there should be a thread floating around here somewhere about it.

As to how that fort went, I had to make two of my dwarves champion wrestlers to deal with the elephant population on the island, so they obviously couldn't work after that. With the remaining five, I constructed a giant stone sphere, half underground, half above. I built an entire fort inside it, moved all the dwarves in, and then
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 12:25:01 pm »

Starting forts like this is a real pain in the ass. Not from the lack of workers but from all the initial time you spend trying to find a way to kill off all the immigrants who show up in spite of whatever setting you have set in d_init. Then once they're dead you have to find some way to deal with their bodies or else you end up with a completely haunted fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 02:20:45 pm »

Starting forts like this is a real pain in the ass. Not from the lack of workers but from all the initial time you spend trying to find a way to kill off all the immigrants who show up in spite of whatever setting you have set in d_init. Then once they're dead you have to find some way to deal with their bodies or else you end up with a completely haunted fortress.

Have them build their own graves, and one by one kill them off with a simple gravity trap, until the last migrant has finished clearing up the bits of Dwarf, and then send him off to the tower of doom...