Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)  (Read 7256 times)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2011, 06:14:57 am »

I'm surprised with only one other mention of Fatal Frame.

It has its own amount of jump scares, but really getting into the journals and photos, seeing a ghost, and realizing why they are they way they are sends chills up my spine. It also doesn't help that the girls of Fatal Frame can't seem to run with any sense of urgency.

And dolls. I hate dolls.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2011, 11:53:07 am »

What kind of "meaningless violence"?

If you're playing a mature rated game, you should already be expecting that kind of thing. If the game is cartoon-y, the violence is so sugar-coated that one can always assume that the monsters are merely knocked unconscious.

Please clarify.

Hey i like things going splat, i love meaningless violence to people and farm animals(The kind you eat)
Dogs are just a special case for me :P

I love games with some humor but not the "LOL DOG/CAT GOT RAN OVER AND LOST HEAD OLOLOLOLOL" kind of "humor"

I dont want a toggle button for violence, Hitman did that enough. I just want a new PEGI indicator for violence to animals.
Its obvious that a shooter would include atleast a bit of gore and meaningless violence, but its not always obvious that you will have to kill a dog too, unless its called "Dog Slaughter Sim 2003"
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2011, 01:36:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One game that freak me out indeed is Stalker.
I don"t need i need to explain myself, as some other people did it well.
But the ambience freak me out, i cant berely do a mission because i "fear" the outside of the Stalkers shelter.
lol when i get out of the shelter, i come back in it 5 minutes later xD
But a thing that really stress me out are emmisions! Thats mainly why i fear being outside for longer that 5 minutes! You never really know when an emission is coming, so i
fear exploring most of the zone without being in the range of a shelter.

Anyway, like i say some explained better, so yea....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:43:21 pm by Jimmitheking »
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2011, 02:32:02 pm »

If you're playing a mature rated game, you should already be expecting that kind of thing. If the game is cartoon-y, the violence is so sugar-coated that one can always assume that the monsters are merely knocked unconscious.

Please clarify.

Hey i like things going splat, i love meaningless violence to people and farm animals(The kind you eat)

I love games with some humor but not the "LOL DOG/CAT GOT RAN OVER AND LOST HEAD OLOLOLOLOL" kind of "humor"

I dont want a toggle button for violence, Hitman did that enough. I just want a new PEGI indicator for violence to animals.
Its obvious that a shooter would include atleast a bit of gore and meaningless violence, but its not always obvious that you will have to kill a dog too, unless its called "Dog Slaughter Sim 2003"
"Violence to animals" is covered under "mild/cartoon/strong violence", at least here in the States with ESRB. If you so much as slap a gorilla in the face with a paper fan, you get some level of violence tacked onto the rating.

Why should dogs get such special treatment?
(big) Cats are frequent targets, as are birds, bears, warthogs, rodents, and reptiles. Is it just because dogs are "man's best friend"? What makes dogs, even monster dogs that try to rip your face off, more deserving of (virtual)life than other humans?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2011, 04:50:31 pm »

Please clarify.

"Violence to animals" is covered under "mild/cartoon/strong violence", at least here in the States with ESRB. If you so much as slap a gorilla in the face with a paper fan, you get some level of violence tacked onto the rating.

Why should dogs get such special treatment?
(big) Cats are frequent targets, as are birds, bears, warthogs, rodents, and reptiles. Is it just because dogs are "man's best friend"? What makes dogs, even monster dogs that try to rip your face off, more deserving of (virtual)life than other humans?

Strong affective value to the main percentage of the 1st world population?
It seems you never had a dog before, i tell you, they might not talk, but their body language tells so much.
They are social.

What are people?
People can be friends, they can be enemies, they are not automatically a friend like that puppy you bought 9 months ago.
We destroy what is around us, knowing or not. We think we rule everything. There are millions of people, most of them dont care about you.
They are useless.

Dogs, give them 5 minutes and you are their best friend(s)

But i am biased, having spended literally the whole of my life with one, not counting theese 2 years without him.

In a game, they are still cure and cuddly for me, and i hate when they yelp and whine, you know why? I had a traumatic experience with some dumb fucks that probably played some dumb game about kicking dogs that assaulted my dog when he was just a little puppy, i swear, if i could, i would have axed them to death, all of them. And if i knew them today, i would still seek venegance, and throw their loved ones on the floor, and kick them untill they bleed and whimper for mercy, just like they did with my best friend, my dog.

Now lets get back on track and just discuss scary games.

flamoot

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack was a Legomaniac.
    • View Profile
    • ansistego
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2011, 04:51:12 pm »

Earthbound

Emoclew ot Moonside
Oh, someone finally died of thirst

Jack was a Legomaniac. Then they treated him with Thorazine. Now all he does is watch TV

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2011, 04:57:07 pm »

Actually, I do own a dog, and my friend has four(!). I like them enough in their own way, but I'm more of a cat person. Dogs may be social, but they aren't people, and neither are cats or any other critter.

But I digress. I don't really have any suggestions for scary games that haven't already been mentioned, because I don't play many scary games. Maybe I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2011, 05:15:34 pm »

Actually, I do own a dog, and my friend has four(!). I like them enough in their own way, but I'm more of a cat person. Dogs may be social, but they aren't people, and neither are cats or any other critter.

But I digress. I don't really have any suggestions for scary games that haven't already been mentioned, because I don't play many scary games. Maybe I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

I want to play many scary games, i find my featureless dreams useless. And WILD'ing is hard as fuck, too impatient for DILD and MILD.

People are different, i consider dogs as much people as i consider people, if you look closely, dogs have a personailty and taste for stuff. My dog loves conifers and sticks from evergreens, but she dosent like bush sticks. She loves carpets and small shiny things, look into her bed and you will find a life saving of screws and small plastic toys my littlesister no longer cares for. Look outside and she got a huge collection of conifer/evergreen related things. She even seems to have a taste in music, she dosent like Necrophagist and runs away when that is on, when its meshuggah she just stays, and no seriously, i can get my dog out of my room with Meshuggah, she has a strange affinity towards Allan Holdsworth. I might just be overthinking, but seriously she has taste and humor, just like a person would have. She also really loves "Decorating" her bed with random carpets and rags she finds lying around, she is really one of a kind.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]