Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)  (Read 7281 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 05:37:45 pm »

Dead Space. I never got any further than chapter 6 or so out of 12 and I think I even uninstalled it.
There were times that I played for ten minutes without seeing a single necromorph and it still scared the fuck out of me.
I have come to the conclusion that games like this aren't made for me :S

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 06:17:11 pm »

Dead Space. I never got any further than chapter 6 or so out of 12 and I think I even uninstalled it.
There were times that I played for ten minutes without seeing a single necromorph and it still scared the fuck out of me.

Forgot to write that on my wishlist.. Damn! :(
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 07:48:54 pm »

Horror-action games are like that until you get callus to their form of horror. I had the same thing happen to me with Resident Evil 4, Doom, etc. Just play around other people until you get used to it, then its not scary whatsoever.

Oh, oh, and remember that part in one of the first chapters where you take a elevator up and immediately after the door opens, you see a necromorph charging right at you? I sprayed more then bullets!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:52:43 pm by Rex_Nex »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 08:24:50 pm »

Horror-Action games are only scare for a while to me, after some time it sorta starts to mellow out. The fact I know I can kill those monsters takes a big chunk of the scaryness away. Games in which you're either helpless or when fighting is almost never the best option are considerably scarier.
This is why the thief series was really scary at times. You could fight the monsters, but it was never the primary option, or even practical at times.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 12:32:02 am »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has had it's moments for me when I was new to it. I mean, the setting was perfect, the atmosphere was very well done as well (even in vanilla), and you have to be on your toes and keep your wits about you if you want to survive. After a good while, looting eventually just becomes secondary to making sure the AI doesn't get too smart, and maul you in the most horrible way imaginable.

Had my share of experiences where despite being armed to the teeth and wearing some epic armor, I only had to reply with "Oh crap.", and only have a 10% chance of survival, and have quickload at the ready. Even worse, sometimes the AI learns from the quickload/quicksave, and they're even worse the nth time later. Had my share of surprises in that game, and accidentally walking into an anomaly, especially while chased down by a pack of blind dogs and such sucks. Don't get me started on the panic that comes when you can see a blowout coming, and only have moments to find cover, in the middle of a battleground sometimes.

I'm not easily scared, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was one of those games that actually struck a chord with me on the fear factor; and in a good way. It was the fun scared, more than the common "brown pants" level of scared everyone else experiences. Felt more like a survivor situation than a well-made haunted house. I suppose primal fear is more my kind of fear.

I mean, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. truly felt more like a post-apocalypse than the Fallout games ever did. I mean, that game was creepier/more startling than the Dunwich Building in FO3. A legion of feral ghouls and a demonic artifact of unlimited power, so what? A smart enough pack of blind dogs that know how to efficiently and effectively hunt you in packs, and use other "flora" and fauna to their advantage so they can get a meal? Oh crap. A situation like I illustrated would scare me more than facing a horde of zombies or the legions of Hell. In one case, I'm just plain (un)dead, in another case, I'm food. My best worry in that situation is that I hope whatever's bound to eat me, better know how to cook.

EDIT:
If I know a situation could easily go sour and I can spot some bandits, monos, or any other hostile human(oid) on my radar, and their paths intersect, I tend to get a good laugh watching an elite armed/armored team take on what I regularly dealt with solo (especially when I can spot both dangers at a distance and bide my time until the fun happens). It doesn't end too well for them, and it thins the numbers of the victor.

Something else equally funny to witness is a wild board stumbling into an anomaly, and being imploded. SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE-*BOOM*!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:22:01 pm by Itnetlolor »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 05:58:02 am »

I want to rate above user winner.
But i loose my shit on both. Can you recommend me the best stalker game?

The worst thing is that i get brown pants in both kinds of horror

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 07:40:06 am »

Well, If you're like me and get scared rather easily, I would recommend Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall. The way the monsters make noises... Good god, It scared me alot!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 07:43:21 am »

Horror-action games are like that until you get callus to their form of horror. I had the same thing happen to me with Resident Evil 4, Doom, etc. Just play around other people until you get used to it, then its not scary whatsoever.
I didn't actually read the op I guess. The game can hardly be called a horror game when playing with other people.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 08:41:20 am »

Daggerfall is easily the scariest game that is not meant to be scary.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 09:35:41 am »

This thread finally convinced me to fight through the Haunted Mansion in Vampire: The masquarade bloodline. I'm so proud of myself! Now I can finally enjoy the rest of the game, instead of replaying the first part 10 times XD

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 09:49:34 am »

While it seems to be bright and cartoony abandonware game Ecstatica is pretty creepy. I never finished it but I still remember running away from wolf demon years ago.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 12:17:49 pm »

Oh, and guys, i dont like games where you have to kill dogs or where they die. I got a really soft spot for dogs.. Thats actually one of the main reasons why i dont play DF anymore..

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 12:36:00 pm »

lol? I love dogs myself, always had atleast one in my life but when rabid dogs are trying to kill me in a game where I also kill people, mutated warthogs and god knows what more, I don't care :P Especially not in DF, where newborn dwarves can get mutilated in the most horrible ways XD

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 01:15:08 pm »

Probably not the kind of game you're looking for, but still terrifying: AI War (and its expansions)
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 04:16:20 pm »

Probably not the kind of game you're looking for, but still terrifying: AI War (and its expansions)
QFT. It's more of a subtle kind of terror, but terror nonetheless. The atmospheric music (especially the title screen; good God, the title screen!) doesn't help.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6