Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)  (Read 7258 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 12:29:23 pm »

Two that stand out for me: System Shock 2 and DOOM. Not the whole games, just certain situational moments.

In System Shock 2, there's nothing like being in a small room with lots of nooks and crannies and hearing the cooing of a psi-monkey and frantically looking all over the place trying to spot it before it spots you; or the distinctive mechanical lullaby of a cyborg midwife and realizing you don't have any armor-piercing ammo. Or even the annelid spiders, giant black widow things (sometimes invisible) that would leave you hunting for antidote if you got bit. And they were crazy fast. Lots of backpedaling and firing wildly at the ground.

And DOOM, just because when it first came out, we played it at a friend's house with the lights out and the sound card wired into his surround sound system. Cue that one spot in level 2 or 3, where you walk into a dimly lit alcove, the lights go out and hidden walls slide back on either side, loosing those big pink demons for the first time. All we knew was that everything went dark and we suddenly hear "GRAAAAAGGHHHH!!" from behind us:P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 02:01:21 pm »

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - the biggest scare i ever had in a game was with this one.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2011, 03:45:06 pm »

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - the biggest scare i ever had in a game was with this one.

And its not a jump scare?
Holy shit that Justine part of Amnesia is replayable as fuck, the experience never dies, evne though i got like 25% through before, i went nope.avi today D:

Me playing Amnesia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 03:52:27 pm »

True, ED:SR has quite a few jump scares, but as sanity decreases there are a number of genuinely scary and subtle things happening. Pretty landscape paintings turn into barren wastelands  with dead people in them, the walls may start bleeding, stuff like that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 06:34:16 pm »

The only horror game that I couldn't finish was Amnesia.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2011, 01:45:45 am »

The only horror game that I couldn't finish was Amnesia.

I love Amnesia, its atmosphere is screamtastic.
People ask me how i can play it for more than 5 minutes, i say love and dwarfy courage

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2011, 05:05:42 am »

I've got a few horror games on my mind currently so here they are,

Condemned Criminal Origins
You are this cop that does something wrong, is on the run blah blah blah.
Long story short, the only reason the story line exists is to give some thin context as to why you are going to every dark abandoned place in the city. The story isn't exactly top of the line and the characters might as well not exist. But thats no concern. The game has a really tense atmosphere backed up by some solid combat. It can get frantic whenever there are more than 2 guys on screen. The game isn't exactly hard, its just unnerving and sometimes you would just find yourself standing still and backing up next to a wall even though it gives a severe disadvantage in the battle.

Call of Cthulu Dark corners of the earth
A horror game based on cthulu mythos, I haven't played it myself but have heard many praises about it. It is said that the game is really scary in the beginning but loses focus when firearms come in the equation. It was published by Bethsoft so be careful.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2011, 06:42:22 am »

The void

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 08:10:44 am »

The void

The Void isn't a horror game. Sisters (like that one) never attack you and brothers look funny.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2011, 08:50:13 am »

The void

I'd say its more of an intriguing concept than horror. The only horror it presents is unfamiliarity. Thats not what makes it completely horror.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2011, 10:24:44 am »

The void simply worked for me, because (spoilers):

I played Amnesia, but found the void to be more effective, on a different level.

There are games that make me go "Oh thats a scary thing there, I better hide", but the void made me "terrified" of other things (above), by playing to my fantasy which holds all the true fears of ones mind... no mather what you paint or skin in your game, planting a idea in ones mind can spawn more horrible things (for that specific person).

Just my 2cents, gentlemen, I can understand if you find other games more terrifing, but the constant strugle in the void was more "scary" then sitting on a box in amnesia and bashing the dog in the face (playing it wrong, obviously...).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2011, 03:35:12 pm »

Try Doom3, in a dark room, with decent surround sound. The gameplay isn't too awesome, but the atmosphere gives you a good adrenaline and fear rush at some points.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2011, 04:30:22 pm »

I've heard that Eversion is pretty creepy, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
Play it at night, with the lights off, in a sealed room, with no other source of light other then the screen. When the first Words popped up on my screen I jumped from my seat. DO NOT LET ITS CUTSY GRAPHICS FOOL YOU!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2011, 02:42:02 am »

First of all, the second Silent Hill was the scariest.  I will not be convinced otherwise. 

Although, the third one gets an honorable mention.  The fourth one ... just isn't doing it for me as much anymore.  Maybe I'm just getting acclimated; I'm not sure.

However, I am disappointed no one has mentioned Fatal Frame (PS2) yet.  My god.  And yet, my significant other is unimpressed with it, but can barely stomach any Silent Hill.  I think ghosts and things suddenly appearing/disappearing are the scariest for me, hence Fatal Frame shaves years off of my life. 

Rented Eternal Darkness once, hoping for a good experience.  I personally found it painfully dull/boring. 

Doom3 (and by extension, many Resident Evil games) are scary only because of "stuff jumping out at you".  I never found the environment to be generally scary/creepy like Silent Hill.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2011, 08:05:33 am »

Played Amnesia together with a friend yesterday. We got discouraged when we saw that place where he had "experimented with" (read: Brutally fucking tortured) dogs.
I know its a spoiler, but for you dog lovers out there, dont play that game, it will ruin your day. Violence and gore is ok in games, but anything that cannot defend itself, like dogs is just unneccesary fucking crap. Im ok with children dying in games, but i am also alot disassociated with people, so thats only me.

One day i will make an act to stop depicted animal cruelty, seriously.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6