Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)  (Read 7280 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »

Probably not the kind of game you're looking for, but still terrifying: AI War (and its expansions)
QFT. It's more of a subtle kind of terror, but terror nonetheless. The atmospheric music (especially the title screen; good God, the title screen!) doesn't help.

Title screen? When you make a wrong move against the AI and its interest on you still fairly small fleet increases, now thats true terror.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2011, 05:38:30 pm »

Probably not the kind of game you're looking for, but still terrifying: AI War (and its expansions)
QFT. It's more of a subtle kind of terror, but terror nonetheless. The atmospheric music (especially the title screen; good God, the title screen!) doesn't help.

Title screen? When you make a wrong move against the AI and its interest on you still fairly small fleet increases, now thats true terror.
I meant that the title screen music quite easily creates a feeling of dread. It's not the scariest part of the game, it just sets the proper emotion.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 09:46:15 pm »

"Doo de doo got a new ship type but burned half my fleet doing it, time to start buil- OH GOD THE AI IS GATHERING SHIPS OH HELLLLL NOOOOO."
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 12:55:48 am »

Hmm yeaaaah i really see space ships and zombie ghoastz AI ees teh skari! :P

Nah just kidding, AIs can be really scary at times

Any good Amnesia mods? Im buying the game today you know.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

tian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 10:09:31 pm »

Have you guys tried Scratches? It's an indie game, It scared the hell out of me a few years ago, pretty cool...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:23 pm »

Bleh. I wish I could play scary games, but I can't.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 01:24:37 am »

I just recently heard about a couple of games called "All of our friends are dead" and "Au Sable". Played all of our friends are dead and yeah it's pretty unsettling. Still haven't gotten to Au Sable. If you google them, be sure to slap "game" on the end of it or you'll get some christian website for Au Sable.

EDIT: Also, play All of our friends are dead first, supposedly it's a prequel? Although the game is pretty abstract to begin with so maybe it's not that important.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:46:24 am by Seriyu »

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 01:52:42 am »

I find it hard to be scared in any game that gives you a gun. I'm a bit like Arnold Schwartzenegger where I think, "If it bleeds, we can kill it."

I suppose that's why I liked Amnesia so much. No weapons?! Holy smokes! What am I supposed to do to defend myself?! OH GOD! IT'S COMING TOWARDS ME!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 02:05:13 am »

Well if you break down anything scary enough you can always find a reason to not be scared (I mean really, you just have to press A to get away from it pffffff; etc), but I can't disagree with you too much, because I failed to mention the third game, the hunter (I think? Good luck finding it on google. If there's interest I'll dig up the link I got on MSN a while back), specifically because it's an FPS, and I have a hard time being scared of things when there's a gigantic cannon of a gun sticking out of my FPSman torso.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 08:33:24 pm »

An Action 52 minigame called Non Human is terrifying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9BKH5PC4I

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 11:03:20 pm »

One level of Vampire the Masquerade, Ocean House, is just sublime in its fright factor. It's only scary if I don't spoil it, but suffice it to say, it's a combination of the atmosphere and story behind it that makes you creep out.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 12:07:11 am »

One level of Vampire the Masquerade, Ocean House, is just sublime in its fright factor. It's only scary if I don't spoil it, but suffice it to say, it's a combination of the atmosphere and story behind it that makes you creep out.

Agreed, thats the only part of the game which actualy scared me. The atmosphere is pretty intense, and more then half of the time you'll be walking in near total darkness. The first level of protean helps you navigate but actualy worsens the whole thing a bit by applying a red tint to your vision.

Except.. There's another thing that scared me in that game. In hollywood, a part of the main quest requires you to retrieve an elusive tape which is basicaly a supernatural snuff movie. You actualy get to watch it later on, and its not actualy scary to watch, but in the final scene, when the things corner the girl and it cuts to a black screen, you get to hear her screams, and the very last screams are downright terrifying to hear, they're not just screams, they're pain induced screams, and they sound very realistic.

But yea, I'm with everyone who says that any scary game that lets you hurt whatever you're fighting through combat stops being scary very soon. After the first encounters any fear I could be feeling is blown away with the monster's brains everytime I level a 12-gauge at something's head.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:10:49 am by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 11:23:30 am »

I want to rate above user winner.
But i loose my shit on both. Can you recommend me the best stalker game?

The worst thing is that i get brown pants in both kinds of horror

For horror, I'd recommned SoC over the other two.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

zekiel321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 12:11:53 pm »

it's been a while since I played something that scared me. It was on the PS2, Silent Hill 4, The Room.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6