Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)  (Read 7257 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Me and my friend are going to have fun soon, by scaring the crap out of each other, anyone care to suggest some games that really makes you "Holy Shit TURN OF THE FUCKING COMPUTER"

Please. Help.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: Games that can make you absolutely terrified?(Read: Amnesia etc. etc.)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:39:14 pm »

Well the penumbra series is really good for that it is made by the same people who made amnesia the dark descent and is really scary
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 04:40:55 pm »

System Shock II

Thief

Penumbra

Have fun.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:41:53 pm »

I also heartily recommend Penumbra, but everyone should know about that by now.

Silent Hill is pretty good. The Cradle from Thief.  Dead Space 1 and 2 also have their moments.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 05:27:38 pm »

Mondo medicals and the sequel I forget the name of are supposedly pretty good. And free to boot. I wouldn't know as I am a wuss.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »

Mondo medicals and the sequel I forget the name of are supposedly pretty good. And free to boot. I wouldn't know as I am a wuss.

Thanks for reminding me of them, they are really disturbing games.
Gonna buy Amnesia, Penumbra and stuff like that, and check out Thief.
He really just loves watching my poor nerves twitch when we play theese kind of games.

Also a Digipen game called monster mall is cool, kids game graphics but fucking terrifying

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 07:05:30 pm »

I've heard that Eversion is pretty creepy, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 08:53:06 pm »

Amnesia, Penumbra, most Silent Hill games, this one flash game called exmortis (if you play it at night with everything closed). There's also this game called yume nikki, made on rpg maker if I recall correctly, that is pretty disturbing sometimes and pretty horrifying at others, but is mostly just creepy. If you do play it, be careful when you wander into the are that looks like a shopping mall.

There's also that japanese flash game called the red room which is basicaly a creepypasta-game, with a nice twist in the end.

Hmmm, there's that LSD dream simulator for the PS1 if you use an emulator. Its not a scary game per se, its just its very nature makes it unsettling. It won't make you super scared, but you might have a few nightmares with it, its a pretty unique game with a few mysteries hidden in it.

Didn't find eversion actualy scary, but I sugest you play it, won't regret it.

If you never played it, I sugest you try Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. Its the last game made by troika and that uses the old world of darkness as its setting. Its not actualy a scary game, but one of the first major quests you get involves breaking into a haunted hotel to find an object to put the ghost to rest, and the whole things is pretty scary the first time you do it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:04:27 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 07:54:38 am »

Amnesia, Penumbra, most Silent Hill games, this one flash game called exmortis (if you play it at night with everything closed). There's also this game called yume nikki, made on rpg maker if I recall correctly, that is pretty disturbing sometimes and pretty horrifying at others, but is mostly just creepy. If you do play it, be careful when you wander into the are that looks like a shopping mall.

There's also that japanese flash game called the red room which is basicaly a creepypasta-game, with a nice twist in the end.

Hmmm, there's that LSD dream simulator for the PS1 if you use an emulator. Its not a scary game per se, its just its very nature makes it unsettling. It won't make you super scared, but you might have a few nightmares with it, its a pretty unique game with a few mysteries hidden in it.

Didn't find eversion actualy scary, but I sugest you play it, won't regret it.

If you never played it, I sugest you try Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. Its the last game made by troika and that uses the old world of darkness as its setting. Its not actualy a scary game, but one of the first major quests you get involves breaking into a haunted hotel to find an object to put the ghost to rest, and the whole things is pretty scary the first time you do it.

I played LSD dream emulator back in the old Facepunch times. I played it at night, with another friend of mine. I was in a garden with a huge hole in the middle, out of it floated an elephant, then some flying dino kind of jumped at my face, we got so scared that we turned off the computer. But thanks

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 07:58:41 am »

Terraria recently added clowns.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 09:53:35 am »

Silent Hill 1. Despite playing it long past its release, I found it unsettling most of the time, even scary in the other world parts. And I consider it a leap above most other horror games, because it didn't rely on jump scares at all. And I utterly hate jump scares. Throwing jump scares at you is not scary, it's annoying.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 01:46:08 pm »

The Penumbra games aren't as scary as Amnesia, but I enjoyed them more. If you're playing everything in a row, I'd recommend playing Amnesia before Penumbra. If you're playing them separately, I'd recommend Penumbra first.

There's a small freeware game called Which. It's very short (probably about 10 minutes to complete once), and quite fun. Definitely scary.

The first Dead Space made me absolutely terrified. The main thing is probably that the monsters could be just about anywhere; they're usually rather loud, but they can and will surprise you frequently. Makes you hesitate before turning the corner or approaching someplace something could be hiding. (Particularly the air ducts.) Ammo conservation is also a factor. It doesn't have a deep fear like Amnesia and Penumbra do, but it's certainly more than just things jumping out and scaring you. It's also a pretty long game.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 04:37:21 pm »

The Penumbra games aren't as scary as Amnesia, but I enjoyed them more. If you're playing everything in a row, I'd recommend playing Amnesia before Penumbra. If you're playing them separately, I'd recommend Penumbra first.

There's a small freeware game called Which. It's very short (probably about 10 minutes to complete once), and quite fun. Definitely scary.

The first Dead Space made me absolutely terrified. The main thing is probably that the monsters could be just about anywhere; they're usually rather loud, but they can and will surprise you frequently. Makes you hesitate before turning the corner or approaching someplace something could be hiding. (Particularly the air ducts.) Ammo conservation is also a factor. It doesn't have a deep fear like Amnesia and Penumbra do, but it's certainly more than just things jumping out and scaring you. It's also a pretty long game.

Thanks alot, Wich made me shit my pants and go Nope.avi as soon as i.. well i am going to shut up now.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 05:27:19 pm »

I have a curiosity to be sated: has anyone ever played a text-based game that was creepy or frightened them? Interactive fiction, Roguelikes, or similar?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6