Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Patches?  (Read 1299 times)

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Patches?
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:33:45 pm »

Is Dwarf fortress Being updated?
Any public versions that is... Last one i saw was from marsh last year ....
I love DF , and i would love to know if theres any newer patches

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Patches?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:49:38 pm »

Yes :)
Here is the developers' blog, if you wanna keep updated.

In short, the next version will come out soon. Definition of soon is up to Toady One.

Spoonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 04:02:54 pm »

Hehe, you must have been playing Dwarf Fortress on Mars to miss the fact that its still in development. Check bay12games.com and you can follow the games progress. As I understand it the development is following a series of 'arcs' with the current one being the 'Caravan Arc.' When thats released Dwarf Fortress will have a deeper trade/economics feature. Given DF is being made by one chap, things take there time.

Theres plenty of mods to try in the meantime.

I myself decided not to play DF until the next release but having just watched The Lord of The Rings Im back in the mood for some dwarfs, elfs and 'FUN'.

Check this out also, http://dfstories.com/

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »

Hehe, you must have been playing Dwarf Fortress on Mars to miss the fact that its still in development. Check bay12games.com and you can follow the games progress. As I understand it the development is following a series of 'arcs' with the current one being the 'Caravan Arc.' When thats released Dwarf Fortress will have a deeper trade/economics feature. Given DF is being made by one chap, things take there time.

Theres plenty of mods to try in the meantime.

I myself decided not to play DF until the next release but having just watched The Lord of The Rings Im back in the mood for some dwarfs, elfs and 'FUN'.

Check this out also, http://dfstories.com/

Ohh i didnt know it was being developed by 1 guy , Then it takes time =)
Thanks for reply

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 06:12:30 pm »

Yeah, major updates like this can take a while.

You should've seen the wait between updating from 0.28.181.40d to 0.31.01, that was something. The former came out in September 6 2008, and the latter in April 1 2010, and there we no updates in between, it was just one big jump. To be fair, it did had a lot of new stuff.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:09:25 pm »

You should've seen the wait between updating from 0.28.181.40d to 0.31.01, that was something. The former came out in September 6 2008, and the latter in April 1 2010, and there we no updates in between, it was just one big jump. To be fair, it did had a lot of new stuff.

So i Should be expecting some major changes? =)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:16:26 pm »

If you only play Fortress mode, there won't be as many changes. There will be additions like necromancers (and the ability to raise zombies), vampires, and werewolfs, though. And I imagine the modders will be able to do some neat stuff with the new interaction framework that those creatures use.

In Adventure mode, a lot more is being added—he's redoing cities, so that's a big deal. And with it comes basic catacombs and dungeons and sewers. There's also some "under the hood" stuff about resource tracking, though I'm not sure exactly how that'll show up in gameplay.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 04:46:24 am »

I hope it finally makes the trading interesting :).

And of course there are many minor things which will drastically change the fortress mode experience (that is, if you like to play around with healthcare and justice system and play until Dwarven Economy strikes).

Of course, that's the reason it takes so long.
It's Toady's schedule: he works for a VEEERY long time preparing a framework for major features to come, and once he releases a "base" release, he will start patching it frequently. Then once it's got all features for the "arc", he goes in a long development cycle again.

Right now we are somewhere near the end of that "waiting" period, looking at the amount of work he's done on catacombs, curses, cities and trade.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 05:00:43 am »

I'm curious as to how you learned of Dwarf Fortress and found these forums. Most places I've seen it mentioned, the development situation is something you'd be made aware of.

I hope it finally makes the trading interesting :).
I don't think it's going to do too much for us there yet. It should be solid by around the middle of the Caravan Arc, but that's still not for a while.