Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with armory!  (Read 923 times)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help with armory!
« on: December 02, 2011, 02:27:28 pm »

Is it possible for dwarves to actually put their weapons in the chest or what! And also... when you assign squad to a chest it says press -p- to assign position. What does that do!

btw my question mark is disabled on this keyboard

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with armory!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 02:48:09 pm »

Dwarves don't store weapons or armour in chests, they store owned items (clothes I think) in them. You need weapon racks and armour stands to store weapons and armour. The Position function allows you to assign a specific piece of furniture to a specific member of the squad so that only that dwarf uses it. Position can be used to give them their own room in the barracks if you want.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:35:09 pm »

Dwarves don't store weapons or armour in chests, they store owned items (clothes I think) in them. You need weapon racks and armour stands to store weapons and armour. The Position function allows you to assign a specific piece of furniture to a specific member of the squad so that only that dwarf uses it. Position can be used to give them their own room in the barracks if you want.

This.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:48:15 pm »

Although I think none of this matters if you configure your squads to stay in uniform even when off-duty, which I believe is the default?  Because then they'll never take off their armor/weapons and thus will never need to store them on armor/weapon racks.

--nomad_delta

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 04:18:00 pm »

ok... but can we assign some weapons usable by all of the dwarves in the squad so they use it in turns.

Something like this:
Urist McMilitia just finished 2 months of duty with ye olde crossbow laying at ye olde guarrisoned bunker where some rare survivors of the deadly maze finally achieve getting past the atom smasher trap. The crossbow is handed over to Urist McNextGuardinLine at shooting range who eagerly awaits his chance...

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:20:43 pm »

You could using the equip screen, then selecting individual weapon, but why would you want to?!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 05:07:31 pm »

ok... but can we assign some weapons usable by all of the dwarves in the squad so they use it in turns.

Something like this:
Urist McMilitia just finished 2 months of duty with ye olde crossbow laying at ye olde guarrisoned bunker where some rare survivors of the deadly maze finally achieve getting past the atom smasher trap. The crossbow is handed over to Urist McNextGuardinLine at shooting range who eagerly awaits his chance...

You *might* be able to accomplish something like this by setting the squad so not all members are on duty at once (6 dwarves in the squad but only 3 on duty at any given time, for example) *and* settings them to *not* stay in uniform while off-duty... that way when they go off duty they'd drop all their weapons & armor...

I suspect even that wouldn't work, though, because I bet the dwarves will keep their "claim" on the weapon/armor even when they're off-duty and not wearing it, which would prevent their squad-mates from picking it up and using it when they're not.  I'm not sure about this as I've never tried, though...

Which does bring up a good point -- even if you *could* do this, why would you want to?  Having your dwarves in-uniform even while off duty is, I think, a universally Good Idea.  It means they even eat and sleep wearing their armor and carrying their weapon, always ready-to-go at a moment's notice for when that Forgotten Beast finds a way into your fortress that you forgot to block off, or the goblin siege shows up on flying mounts and cruises right over your traps.

The last thing you want is for your military to waste precious time running all over the fortress collecting weapons and armor and trying to get dressed when you sound the alarm.

--nomad_delta

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:17:39 pm »

Yeah, it's not like a crossbow is hard to make. Now if we're talking about sharing a steel sword in a fort with no iron ore, that would make more sense.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 05:25:19 pm »

I'd been led to believe that dwarves get a negative thought, albeit a fairly small one, from being made to remain in uniform when off-duty; not entirely illogical if their uniform consists of full armour, really. A tantrumming or berserk dwarf is also less likely to cause lasting harm if he can only attack with his bare fists. If you're going for universal conscription then that's not such a big deal, of course, but it's something to keep in mind.

Oh, and if you assign a miner or woodcutter to a squad which is sert to "inactive = civilian clothes", they'll do the sensible thing and put their pick or axe back in storage when they're not using it.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 05:26:38 pm »

No bad thoughts from being in armour whilst on/off duty, although it will slow them down slightly.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 05:30:11 pm »

Sorry I must precise a legendary crossbow in fungiwood with chicken leather and carnelian is the main concern here. (Also just had an artifact with the image of a dwarve dehydrating in fetal position...)

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 10:17:42 pm »

Even if it is an artifact it isn't worth it, the only benefit while training would be firing speed (accuracy doesn't matter when training) but that benefit would be more than made up by the fact that with more crossbows they could have more than one person training.