Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ragespiraled: Community Fort  (Read 2571 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ragespiraled: Community Fort
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:17:58 am »

From the Journal of Udil Futurebronze
In 804 the humans of The Magical Nation were waging a vicious war on the elves of The Crow of Boards.  Despite being halfway across the world, our King decided that something should be done.  So I took a group of 7 dwarven combat advisors with me to teach durned elves how to fight.  *Elves*.  I've never been so embarassed in my life.

Did I imply this was voluntary?  It wasn't.

Well, as luck would have it, our wagon broke down enroute and far from either civilization.  I sent one of the advisors as a messenger back to the king, hoping he'd manage to struggle through on his own and let him know of our plight.  But for the rest of us there was nothing else to do but set up camp and wait for assistance.

Our wagon was mostly sealed, supposedly containing arms and armor and treasure for our elven allies, and ordered locked until we arrived at our destination.  Only on top of this was provided food and drink for our journey.  But that was all irrelevant now - if we were going to survive, we were going to need tools.  Hopefully there were some fine dwarven axes inside, or maybe some crossbows with steel bolts so we could hunt.  And thus I ordered the wagon opened. 

It was at this point I discovered that the wagon was full of alpaca.  Gased and befouled, half frozen, starving, but alive.

"By Sikel's white beard, what is going on here!"
------------------------------------------

This is a community fort. 
-You may request names for dwarves, jobs (these requests will be considered, but not always granted), and of course write about their experiences.  Many dwarves will end up being in the military, hopefully I'll get attacked by fun stuff, or i can create my own FUN by digging too deep, should i ever get a pick.
-You may request certain things be done, goals be chosen, etc...  I retain some small amount of veto power, but I probably won't use it very much.  Best ideas get precedence.

Ok, nicknames and custom professions (that make sense) i can do at least, can't seem to find a way to actually rename dwarves in the current version...

Things I will not do:
-Let dwarves adopt animals as pets, unless there's a really good reason.  (I plan on butchering everything that isn't an alpaca or a cat, and most of the latter as well).

(Information on the area, individual dwarves, etc.. in next post.  You might notice there's no tools)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:32:25 am by Squirrelloid »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ragespiraled: Community Fort
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 01:25:30 am »

Starting inventory
29 assorted booze
14 assorted meats
1 dimple cup seed
7 alpaca (2 male 5 female)

Starting Dwarves
Udil Futurebronze, Scapegoat proficient Architect / novice Broker/Negotiator/Persuader/JoI/Intimidator
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Monom Olonimsal proficient Biter / proficient Teacher
Dumat Libadmeng proficient Fighter / proficient Teacher
Uvash Lormebzuth proficient Biter / proficient Teacher
Olon "Neo" Idlaz proficient Striker / proficient Teacher
Urist "Xenir" Tateral proficient Fighter / proficient Teacher
Eshtan "Chuck" Melbilshadmal proficient Kicker / proficient Teacher

The first one is not available for renaming

------------------------------
From the journal of Udil Futurebronze:
It seems like we find ourselves stranded from anything resembling civilization.  I have circled our location on the world map and stuck it in here - seems as good a place as any since we won't be needing it anymore.

I write this journal in case anyone ever finds our corpses and wants to know what became of us. 

Winter is ending, and so i busy myself surveying the area.  I mean, building anything seems highly unlikely, but maybe we'll get lucky.  Maybe we'll all starve before anyone from home finds us.  But my cadre of useless military advisors seem to think the area could be made defensible - if only we had any way of digging!  They keep talking about fortifying the area and i ask them whether their beards can do that - while beards are capable of completing many wondrous tasks, digging has never been one of them.

Anyway, the area in which we find ourselves:

Wait, I just had an idea!  The wagon is made of wood...
---------------------------------

The bored or keen-sighted may have noticed the maps do include the starting spot.  I await requests on what they should be doing, although I will note that the fortress will be rather shortlived if i don't make someone a carpenter, deconstruct the wagon, make a carpentry workshop, and make a training axe as my first sets of actions.  After that, however, well, there's quite a bit of wood within reach to come up with creative uses for.

Things to keep in mind:
-There is no pick
-There is no fire-safe materials to build with
-There is only 2 seasons of food and drink available at best
-There is no way to store food in a cellar to prevent rotting.  The biome is Scorching.
-Trade with the caravan will desperately need to happen come fall

Edit: I will play some time, with or without suggestions, ~20h after the initial posting
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:40:32 pm by Squirrelloid »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:37:22 am »

i'm taking the last one, Kicker. Name him Chuck =) I expect him dominate on anyone with his roundhouse kick!

I think we should do these steps:
 - cut wood with training axe
 - gather plants to get seeds for farms
 - make palisade of wood
 - make crossbows and bolts
 - go hunting!
 - make bone and leather armor
 - sell it and buy pick and anvil

Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Xenir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:46:16 am »

I'll take a fighter. Just use my username.
^Also, do what that guy up there said^
Quote from: GoombaGeek
That sounds gay. It's not. It's fucking terrifying.
Olin isn't fucking around this time. He knows it'll take more punishment than a BDSM expo in a tornado made out of serrated blades. So he hits it until the head is mush. Then he hits the body until it's got a soupy texture too. When he's done, it doesn't look like a cat. It looks like a fucking meat puddle.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 02:04:48 pm »

I'll take the striker - Olon
Name him Neo, and he should become a lasher eventually
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:19:17 pm »

From the Journal of Udil Futurebronze:

1st of Granite
Well, I've at least seen a carpenter at work before, so I nominated myself to get to work on the wood.  That sweet sweet smooth wagon wood.  Ahem.  I've told the stooges to start unloading everything - it'll get it all out of my hair and organized, which is something.

In trying to decide where exactly we're going to get set up, I took another look at the stream.  Holy carp!  There's like 30 of the buggers in there.  Note to self, the stream is off limits until future notice.

I've also decided I'm not going to haul junk with tweedledumb et al.  I'm still running this mission, Armok help us, I think i'll take refuge in a nice smooth wagon wood workshop.  Smooth.

2nd of Granite
We have a carpentry shop, and its MINE.  ALL MINE.  So smoooth.

3rd of Granite
I managed to shape some of our precious wagon wood into a training axe.  Its not pretty, but it should suffice to chop down some trees.  I called over the fighters (ok, lets be honest, they were the closest morons), handed Xenir an axe and told him to 'get to', and told the other one to wait a few moments and I'd have one for him too.

Xenir looked at what I handed him like it was a snake and held it away from him.  'What?' I asked, 'Its an axe, get chopping!'  When he told me he didn't know how to use an axe I almost lost it.  Sikel-cursed morons of military advisors not knowing how to use an axe.  'You swing teh sharp bit so it hits something, now go cut down some trees and get me some wood!'

I finished the second axe shortly before nightfall.  Now I just had to sit in my smooth and comfortable carpentry shop until they brought me some wood.  It wouldn't be sweet sweet wagon wood, but it would be something we could use.  I am NOT dying here.  Not with these morons.  Sikel help me, if I'm going to die, let it be doing something worthwhile.

5th of Granite:
I look up at the first 'log' they bring me.  What in Armok's name is that?  Its... green... and spikey (ow).  What in Oggez's grey earth is this?  I sigh.  Maybe with enough spit I can get this... green... thing... to hold together enough to provide some protection.  Maybe.

Neo was standing around talking about his aunt the elf, excuse me, "herbalist", so i ordered him to start collecting plants.  They'll probably all rot, but maybe he'll get halfway decent about it, and who knows, some of these noxious weeds might be brewable into a concoction strong enough to get me drunk.

11th Granite:
As long as I'm waiting on logs, I survey the area again from the comforts of my carpentry shop.  Lo and behold, wildlife that isn't dreaded carp!  Sadly, the Gazelle are on the other side of the river, but they should make for good hunting when we get that far.  Speaking of which, I suppose I should find out if one of these military morons can make a crossbow...

13th Granite:
I made a 3rd training axe, who knows, maybe it'll have some defensive value, and it'll get wood chopped faster.

I told Uvash to make a crossbow and he looked at me kind of funny.  We'll see if anything actually comes of it.

I've been trying to figure out how to make a defensible structure here, and I see no good options.  If only we had a pick!

The alpaca are looking pretty fuzzy.  And soft.  Maybe i should shear them...

I also order a still and kitchen made.  When they all protest they don't know how to cook or brew I almost explode.  These must be the most useless dwarfs ever to grace dwarfkind... ... I'm not stuck out here in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of morons by accident, am I?

2nd Slate:
We have 2 crossbows... if you can call them that.  I also asked for some bolts and got told that bowyers didn't do that... Oh hoh hoh, we style ourself a bowyer now,  Uvash?

Whatever, I like working with wood, even if it isn't my precious precious wagon wood.  I'll make the bolts.

My woodcutters have informed me that they have chopped all the trees in the desert to our South West.  I couldn't help it, I had to slam my head into my craftshop table.  Repeatedly.  It felt better than dealing with this stupidity.  There's an oggez-cursed woodland to the east of us morons, chop me some real trees!

Neo finally found something.. err.. edible?  Three whip vines.   Maybe we can brew them into something.

General Job Notes:
Chuck, Xenir, and Dumat have all become Woodcutters
Neo has become an Herbalist
Uvash fancies himself a Bowyer, but is still an item-hauling peasant
Monom has been ordered to prepare meals.  Anyone who doesn't like them will be cook next.  Fortunately, there are no moose - yet.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:23:01 pm by Squirrelloid »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:46:57 pm »

15th Slate:
These +yak meat biscuits+ aren't that bad.  Monom might not be totally useless.

The gazelle have sadly left, but we now have 2-humped camels.  I don't trust the beasts, but they should make for tasty eating.

17th Slate:
Mr 'bowyer' Uvash can be our hunter.  He'll find out when he wakes up.  In the meantime, back to carving wood.

21st Slate:
I smell a disaster brewing with these camel running about in the desert near us.  I've ordered the construction of a cabin for eating and sleeping, which should at least stop us from getting trampled in teh night.

Uvash woke up and is standing around holding a crossbow and refusing to hunt.  I can't order a quiver out of alpaca yarn, so I hope that's not the problem - although i suppose i could sacrifice one of our wagon animals...

(Ok, how do i get him to pick up and use xbow bolts?  Even drafting him as an archer doesn't get him to use them)

6th Felsite:
The south wall of the cabin has begun construction.

The alpaca are all sheared, milked, and those products are starting to be put to use.

Our erstwhile hunter still refused to touch a bolt, I'm going to sacrifice one of the caravan animals soon, and Uvash can butcher it, useless sodding 'can't hunt without my quiver' failure of a dwarf.

11th Felsite:
Something has perturbed the Camels, and now everyone is scared of them.  Mr. hunter still isn't touching the bolts, and the camels are starting to interfere with work.  Going to have to draft the woodcutters...

17th Felsite:
Durned fool woodcutters refused to use their training axes while drafted.  Fortunately, the camels moved away and no bloodshed occurred.  What kind of moron military advisors do i have who, even when told to use their training axes opted to potentially wrestle camels instead?

I've ordered the yak that pulled our caravan slaughtered so we can make a quiver from its skin.

24th Felsite:
The camels have departed and been replaced by Cavies.  Those look like good eating, if only our hunter would hunt.  Well, we have yak meat for awhile...

1st Hematite:
We survived Spring.  I don't know if I should praise Armok or curse him for prolonging my agony.

25th Hematite:
The hunter now has a quiver full of bolts.  He's still standing around.

The Cabin's ground floor is coming along nicely.  It'll hold beds for all 7 of us and an office for me with room to spare.  Once i get it roofed over i can order the beds built.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:57:18 pm by Squirrelloid »

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 12:12:57 am »

Migrants!
Tun Zefontirist novice Carpenter <-possibly the most useful migrant in the entire wave!
Oddom Nethineth novice Mason
Tulon Sakrithasen skilled Mason / talented Gem Setter
Ushrir Zuglarnish novice Siege Operator / novice Mason / adequate Glazer
Atir Mengsulus high master Stone Crafter / novice Glazer / novice combat skills
Feb Keshshakdomas high master Presser / novice Wood Cutter/Trapper / competent Suturer / competent combat
Monom Delerbungek talented Shearer / novice Stone Crafter/Trapper/Fish Dissector
Rovod Dumatbokbon adequate Wound Dresser

Unclaimed of the settling party:
Monom Olonimsal proficient Biter / proficient Teacher
Dumat Libadmeng proficient Fighter / proficient Teacher
Uvash Lormebzuth proficient Biter / proficient Teacher

To be dealt with in-character in my next update.  Feel free to claim any unclaimed dwarves.

Xenir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 02:58:28 pm »

From the journal of Xenir
3rd Granite,
Oh bloody hell, that Udil is expecting me to work! Can you Believe it? She tossed me a training axe and told me to get to it. What in the name of all things Dwarven am I supposed to do with a friggin' training axe? We used those things to train children back home. And yet she expects me to somehow cut down a tree with a wood axe. I'm a soldier, not a woodcutter. And I don't even like axes, I much prefer swords.

But I digress. It looks like we're gonna be stuck here a while, so I might as well make the most of it and quit complaining.

17th Felsite
Udil came up and told me I was in the militia. My first thought was, "Sweet, what do I get to kill?"
Turns out she wanted those camels dead. Oh Armok, am I dissapointed. I could kill those things with my bare hands. In fact, i think that's exactly what I'll do...
That sounds gay. It's not. It's fucking terrifying.
Olin isn't fucking around this time. He knows it'll take more punishment than a BDSM expo in a tornado made out of serrated blades. So he hits it until the head is mush. Then he hits the body until it's got a soupy texture too. When he's done, it doesn't look like a cat. It looks like a fucking meat puddle.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 10:34:13 pm »

From the Journal of Udil Futurebronze:
24th Malachite:
It is with some amazement... and extreme annoyance... that I must record our... settlement? (ug)... has received migrants.  Migrants!  Of all the stupid Armok-blasted...

In the interests of disclosing the full stupidity of the days events, I feel compelled to transcribe my earlier conversation with the apparent leader of these migrants.

As is my habit, I had retreated to the comfort of my carpenter's shop with its smooth smooth wagon wood table.  Usually I'm free from stupidity while I'm working, so imagine my surprise when someone comes pounding on the... ok, wall would be generous... post of my shop.  Even more surprising, it was a dwarf I hadn't seen before.  Not one to get my hopes up, I waited a moment before opening my mouth.

It was a wise decision on my part.  The dwarf before me was fat, very fat.  Despite having managed to get himself lost in this forsaken wilderness - and I had no illusions on that part, this was no scout or military dwarf come to rescue us after all - his beard was still immaculately trimmed and braided.  He was fiddling with one of those dangly braids subconsciously when i looked up.  He peered down at me with narrow eyes that seemed incongruous peering over his ruddy cheeks, thick pouty lip, and ample beard.

"Let me guess, you thought you'd take a walk in the woods, got lost, and managed to end up here,"  I muttered, turning back to my work.

"Are you Udil Futurebronze, leader of this expedition?"  The tones were imperious and perfunctory.  Why was I being talked down to by some lost wandering dwarf?  I returned my attention to him.

"I am."  I finally noticed his clothes were fairly richly appointed.  A noble?  Out here?  What madness is this?

"A letter from the King for you."

"..."

A letter limped from a fat over-manicured completely undwarfy hand.  I did some quick mental calculations.  It had taken us *months* to get this far.  If he was even going to make it, it was unlikely the messenger had even arrived yet, much less gotten help to us this soon.  How in Oggez's grey earth had a letter from the king... ... NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. 

I ripped the letter out of his hand and slammed it down on the table in front of me.  "Talk."

"Surely you wish to read the King's proclamation extolling the virtues of the new settlement and thanking you for your serv..."

I held up my hand.  "Give me the short version, I'm busy.  As long as you're stuck out here with me, tell me what you've brought me."

"Well, hearing about the new settlement, the masonry guide decided to send some of our finest craftsdwarfs to assist in this endeavour.  I am Oddom Nethineth, Underguildmaster of the 1st rank, and leader of these masons.  I..."

"And?"

"Ahem, some few others decided to accompany us and seek their fortunes, probably hoping to join the illustrious guild."

"The masonry guild."

"Well, yes, we are the..." *blinks* "That wasn't a question?"

"You are here to work, yes?"

"Just point us in the direction of the quarry, I shall oversee all masonry activity for you."

"Please tell me when you find it."

"I'm sorry?"  It was at this point he began looking around.  The most noticeable feature of course being the half-constructed *wood* cabin.

"You're happy to finally have some masons so you can erect truly dwarven dwellings made of stone?"  He spoke into the air, uncertainty in his voice.

"Is that what you think?"  He looked at me curiously. 

"So, the.. quarry?"

"Tell me, did you bring any miners with you?"

"No...?"  He looked around again.  Probably wondering where we could have possibly put a quarry.  I let him look for a bit.

I put my hands down on the carpentry table and pushed myself to standing.  "Figured it out yet?"

"W-w-w-where's the quarry?"

"There is no quarry."

"No quarry?"

"We have no picks."

"No stone?"

"No stone."

"What am I doing here?"

"You tell me when you figure that out."  I steepled my fingers in front of my mouth after i sat back down.  "You said you were here to work, yes."

His deer in lamplight look was truly glorious.  I bathed in it for a bit.

"Lets see Oddom, your name was Oddom right?" beat. "You look like a dwarf who enjoys a good meal, you can run our kitchen, and our brewery, and our farm plot.  Sorry, make our farm plot, we don't have one yet."

"I'm exiled."

"Uh-huh."

"What do I do?"

"Go see about our food situation.  And send your compatriots by so I can find them useful work to do."

"I've been exiled."

"Yeah yeah, join the club, I have work to do." beat "Oh, by the way, we only have aboveground seeds."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:00:44 pm by Squirrelloid »

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 10:57:44 pm »

I call Tun Zefontirist. Name him Zas Ebal.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 11:32:34 pm »

Ok, labors totally reworked, that took awhile tracking down what people were doing and figuring out a useful re-assignment scheme.  Time is moving on once again.

Tun Zefontirist is now known as Zas Ebal.

The following dwarves have new custom profession names to help me track them:
Oddom Nethineth, Foodmonger
Rovod Dumatbokbon, Clothmonger
Monom Delerbungek, Fuzzymonger

In addition the following dwarves are taking over these jobs:
Tulon Sakrithasen is now in charge of the leatherworking workshop chain
Ushrir Zuglarnish is now in charge of bonecarving

Dwarves with military skills have been assigned to a squad (including 6 of the 7 starting dwarves).  As soon as they have a barracks, they can start holding drills.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 12:16:33 am »

Custom profession for Zas Ebal! Prophet. @o@

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 12:42:51 am »

27th Malachite:
I think I'm going to die of shock, Uvash tells me he's going hunting.  Of course, he's still standing in the meeting area, but maybe we'll see some fresh meat yet.

11th Galena:
I think I got over-excited, he's fired all of one crossbow bolt, caught nothing, and gone back to lounging.

1st Limestone:
Our fool hunter finally decided to actually hunt *something*... a Giant Jaguar which wandered into the area unseen by me.  This ended predictably badly.  Now our dwarves are calling it Obzoz, and somehow we're going to have to inter Uvash's remains. 

I sent the military after it, but those fools are chasing it right back to the settlement.  Wait, Neo seems to have gotten it by the paw.  Oof, that almost looked effective.  Ouch, that's a nasty bite on the right hand, but the rest of team moron seems to have caught up.  And Obzoz the Giant Jaguar falls unconscious as a bunch of dwarves tackle it.

7th Limestone:
Its been over 6 days and they're still wrestling the damn thing.  I swear if they'd use the axes i made this would go faster, but they insist on wrestling it to death.  Its still unconscious, but i think its healing...

11th Limestone:
The cursed Obzoz refuses to die.  I told our clothesmonger Rovod to go hunt.  He picked up Uvash's xbow, some wood bolts, and is standing over its body shooting them into it while the wrestlers break its toes one by one.  A little sadistic?  Maybe.  Hopefully it'll actually die before Rovod learns the alphabetical order of its organs.

22nd Limestone:
More migrants?  Why me?  Why Sikel?  Why me?

Mapleguy: Prophet?  I'm going to need to see some justification for that first =P

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 12:49:54 am »

New Dwarves!
Kol Isonstakud, talented Presser / competent Gem Setter / novice Metalsmith
Kib Momuzid, competent Suturer / novice at every craft (srsly)
Kib Aranlolor, Peasant (no skills...)

Kib Momuzid is made chief medical dwarf, with suturing, diagnosis, and bone carving enabled
Kib Aranlolor has bowyer and carpenter activated
Kol Isonstakud has carpentry activated
Pages: [1] 2