Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Some baby and sexual names to consider  (Read 5014 times)

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some baby and sexual names to consider
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 09:54:40 am »

The problem is that many df players (including myself) are not native in English and therefore may and will have more difficulties in understanding it. Still nice to learn them

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 06:34:39 pm »

Alright. So, just to be perfectly clear, via the wonders of modding, I can in fact, have war bitches?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 06:40:49 pm »

Alright. So, just to be perfectly clear, via the wonders of modding, I can in fact, have war bitches?

I suppose you could change the female dog caste as bitches, so yeah.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 06:57:41 pm »

Lovely. And would this require a regen, or would it take place immediately?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »

Lovely. And would this require a regen, or would it take place immediately?

Not quite sure, if it doesn't work you could always try lifting the save, changing the raws and putting the world save back, but modding is always rather finnicky...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 11:18:45 pm »

A more complete list.

That list is awesome.
No sign of Aria, still.  (There's an online mail order place of that name, that I use.  Probably nothing to do with it. :) )

Cria is a baby alpaca. (Alpaca is missing on that Wiki table)
Ah.  But I see also Llama, which is there, so my memory isn't erroneous.  Similar animals, probably similar nominatives.

(I'd say that if I saw "bitch" as an animal, I'd think "female canine, in general".  The coyote variety wouldn't even enter my head before checking the animal details and finding some more explicit clue.  You'd need "<sub-genera> bitch", or the reverse, in all cases.)

Anyway, I modded in War Elephants to a 40D game I had.  Jjust had so many of them, tethered up, seemed like a good idea, but my physical defences did most of the damage to the enemy so I never found out if they were any good.  Those raw-changes worked mid-game, can't see any reason why the names could not also be changed if an entirely new functions could be added, unless it had cached the old details, somehow.  Anyway, check the Modding board.  There'll be information there about what to change (each savegame rawset and global ones being different) to get either this-game changed or all-future-games so.  Or test on current game, then go in and change for global and all-other-savegame versions if it works.  (Backups, though...  Make sure you've got backups, in case you completely mess it up!)  But as I've not modded since the instance I just described, I'm hardly the best source of info on this. :)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 03:50:25 am »

Spoiler: BEHOLD! (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 02:03:47 pm »

I now have the beautiful image of King DZA sitting utop a golden throne yelling at his subjects to stop the trolls messing with his war bitches.

???

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 02:38:44 pm »

That would actually be incredibly accurate.

The troll was released for a minor military test. Unfortunately, my bitches got there before the soldiers did, so I ended up losing two of them to that sock-wielding bastard.

On the bright side, the troll was ruthlessly beheaded by a veteran swordsdwarf shortly after, so at least they were avenged. You don't fuck with the king's bitches.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:40:57 pm by King DZA »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 04:54:08 pm »

You don't spit into the wind, you tug on supermans cape.

The war bitch latches on, firmly. 

HA! King DZA, I'd like to have a war bitch in my world.  Those two screen shots are exactly what I was looking to do. I'm gonna have to break my tooth and lift my self imposed ban on shark dentistry to edit my raws, here.  Could you please explain what file and line I need to tweak in order to change a pet name?  Unless it was very involved.  If its just a matter of editing a config file, I think my limited abilities should be enough to do that.

Thank you,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 02:01:42 am »

Changing it is actually pretty easy. The only really difficult part was locating the correct files. I'm not quite sure just how experienced you are with the raws, so I'll just try to go into detail:

If I remember correctly, go to data>save>region#(whichever one your current game is on)>raw>objects, then find the creature_domestic file. Dogs are the first creatures listed in the file, scroll down til you find:
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]

Add "[CASTE_NAME:bitch:bitches:bitch]" in between those, and you should have bitches left and right next time you start up DF(assuming you have dogs running around everywhere, like I do).

Just to clarify, this will change all female dogs to bitches, not just pets. You'll have war bitches, hunting bitches, stray bitches, ect. It was my first time ever modding anything in DF, so if I can do it, I have no doubt you can. Anyway, tell me how it works out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 03:27:11 pm »

Well I'd say Bay12 has handled this topic rather maturely.

Kinda.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 03:47:25 pm »

I concur.

Now, considering my beast chamber was installed not too long ago, it brings me great pleasure to announce that the time will soon come for my enemies to FACE THE WRATH OF THE WAR BITCH HORDE!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 04:11:10 pm »

I concur.

Now, considering my beast chamber was installed not too long ago, it brings me great pleasure to announce that the time will soon come for my enemies to FACE THE WRATH OF THE WAR BITCH HORDE!!!

Goblin has startled the witch, er, horde, er...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 07:53:52 pm »

Anyway, tell me how it works out.

I've set it up, like you mentioned, in region 1 and region 2.  This is my first time adjusting DF.  Region 2 has no dogs and is spiraling out of control with an insane blacksmith, who has slain half the population.  Not sure if I will have that fortress for much longer. 

I looked in region 1, and have four hunting bitches patrolling in parade grounds, just inside my front door.  Thank you for this great advice.  I cannot fight with them just yet, the hunter who has them, is somewhat upset about something. 

Thank you,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 [2] 3