Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Some baby and sexual names to consider  (Read 5013 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Some baby and sexual names to consider
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:13:40 pm »

I hope these are renamed in the patch, in place of what is currently used in DF. 

Cygnet, Tigress, Bitch, Vixen, Aria, Colt, Fawn, Cria, Jackass, Polliwog, Filly, Leopardess, and Neonate.

DF is a good learning experience.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Some baby and sexual names to consider
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:15:46 pm »

Bitch is only used for those female dogs who have recently had puppies. Thus, no use for it.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:30:26 pm »

Bitch is only used for those female dogs who have recently had puppies. Thus, no use for it.

Bitch. Yeah, I can see where that one might not be appropriate, but as far as I know, its not limited to only females with pups.  There are other female animals referred to as Bitches.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:40:04 pm »

I hope these are renamed in the patch, in place of what is currently used in DF. 

Cygnet, Tigress, Bitch, Vixen, Aria, Colt, Fawn, Cria, Jackass, Polliwog, Filly, Leopardess, and Neonate.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Um, what?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:42:39 pm »

Sincerely,
Knutor

Um, what?

STOP CENSORSHIP NAOW! xP

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:55:51 pm »

At first I thought that this thread was asking that DF be censored to not include those words.  I was very confused.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:58 pm »

You know, I'm not even sure what animals some of those names are related to, but I support this idea anyway. Not because I really care all that much about sex/age accuracy, I would just have a lot more fun when referring to some of them.

"Noo! That goblin killed my bitch!"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:16:47 pm by King DZA »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:31:49 am »

I gave that bitch a puppy. Bitches love puppies.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 01:00:33 am »

Mother of Armok, I just realized...

If this gets implemented into the game, do you know what that means? DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS!?

It means...I could...I could have a pack of...of...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HELL YES.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:06:42 am by King DZA »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 01:34:57 am »

Can't you just do it yourself in the raws?
Shoes...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 02:43:32 am »

You confused me too, first time I read it.  What's wrong with tadpoles being called polliwogs, frexample[1], is someone just feeling a bit over-PC?  (Actually, the sound of the P-name likely inspired the form of the G-name, which is, very much arguably, not something to be said due to the luggage it has built up since is was coined sometime in the 1800s.  If it was the American childrens-fiction inspiration for the name, as opposed to the British-in-Egypt possible source for the G-name, which might well have come with some Imperialistic luggage already in existence upon its conception.)

Anyway (now having derived what you really meant), as others have said (in fewer words than me) if you can find their entries in the Raws then you can add in the relevent [SELECT_CASTE:{FE}MALE] lines and naming them yourself, in addition to the [GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:x:xs] one.  (Not that I've modded much, but I assume that by putting a different [GCN] within each [SC] you could have their children's names gender-specific, also.  Right?  If you had something you could put there.  (See foal/filly info somewhere in the midst of one of the footnotes I've written, though.))

[1] Though I wasn't aware that frogs were in the game[2][3] .  A quick search through the raws shows that there are words for them, and in the description of Amphibian Men.  So they exist as a concept.

[2] Except as vermin?  If they're that, then tadpoles/polliwogs would necessarily have to be a separate, aquatic-only vermin.  If that's possible.

[3] Swans are also absent (so no cygnets).  Tigers and Leopards (not to mention Lions/Cougers/Panthers/etc and their respective "-esses") could be differentiated as suggested, I suppose, as could female dogs (as opposed to male "dog dogs"?), female foxes (opposite "dog foxes" or "reynards"?).  Colt (and filly) would have to refer to male (or female) horses between 1 and 4 years old, and I'm not sure the mechanisms are in place to do for animal children what can be done for dwarf children (after "baby", before adult peasant grower).  But before that, IRL, they are foals, after that, they are stallions(/mares).  Fawns already exist (if you mean young deer).  I don't recognise "Aria" as being anything animalistic[5], and "Neonate" I thought referred to Human (+dwarf?) babes of less than a month of age, and again I can't see that mechanism existing without a re-write.   Cria is a young Llama, IIRC, BICBW.  Jack[asse]s need to be partnered with Jennies.  Anyway, I seem to recall someone released some modified raws with all creatures given their gender[3]-specific names, a while ago.  Perhaps for easy identification on screens where the gender symbol wasn't obvious.  Or just for flavour.

[4] Which I feel is more accurate than the subject title.  Although there's the old phrase of "Gender is what's between your ears, sex is what's between your legs, sexuality is who's between your legs," which would clearly not support this correction if we didn't have a clearcut gameworld without such dislocations from the oft-expected norms, perfect fidelity, apparently foolproof (and anti-spore) birth control by all unmarried female sentients, etc. :)

[5] Aria...  Female version of an Aries The Ram?  Maybe a particularly wild variety of sheep where "Ewe" just didn't cut the dash?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:52:21 pm »

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 11:28:25 pm »

A more complete list.

That list is awesome.  Just the sort of thing I was suggesting, has already been suggested.  Cool.  Thank you all for the replies, I learned a bunch of things I didn't know before.  Thanks for the education.  Your absolutely right, I should have used gender instead of sexual, but would have I gotten any replies with gender?  The word sexual is an eyeball magnet.

Cria is a baby alpaca. (Alpaca is missing on that Wiki table)

I was thinking of bitch in terms of a untamed coyote females with or without cubs.  Not so much a tame female dog. 

The War Bitch is fighting!  HA!  That made me ROFCOPTER.

Sincerely,
Knutor

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 03:10:48 am »

Wait, so he was asking for stuff to be added, not removed?

Now all my confusion with this thread has disappeared.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 03:12:28 am »

Wait, so he was asking for stuff to be added, not removed?

Now all my confusion with this thread has disappeared.

I am still confused..
Pages: [1] 2 3