Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground caverns  (Read 3260 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Underground caverns
« on: December 01, 2011, 04:39:02 pm »

I was debating putting this in gameplay help, but it's mostly fortress oriented so.

I'm wondering how safe underground caverns can be, is it safe to actively have dwarves down there with no military? Or should I haul some troops down there just in case. Aside from dangerous creature spawns they don't look too bad.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground caverns
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:43:05 pm »

I was debating putting this in gameplay help, but it's mostly fortress oriented so.

I'm wondering how safe underground caverns can be, is it safe to actively have dwarves down there with no military? Or should I haul some troops down there just in case. Aside from dangerous creature spawns they don't look too bad.

If I break the caverns it's generally safe enough to build a few walls. Zero defenses are very dangerous however, as crundles or troglodytes can take out at least a few dwarves. And there's always the chance of underground structures, forgotten beasts and the likes.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »

I have dwarves regularly traversing the caverns to reach the magma forges/smelters. The caverns likely won't be an immediate danger to your fort, it's only when you begin to get comfortable and careless that something has the potential to royally screw you over.
If you encounter a forgotten or otherwise dangerous beastie, you should probably have enough time to get your military to the scene before things get too bad. Although for me, they're normally dangerous because they wander around doing nothing until I forget about them(heh, maybe that's where they get their name), then go on a rampage out of nowhere.

So yeah, take some safety measures(guard dogs, walling/flooring off certain places, maybe a lockdown feature) and you should be alright for the most part.

EDIT: Oh, I've also found floor hatches to be incredibly helpful in preventing curious creatures on the lower levels from coming up to take a tour around your fort.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:55:41 pm by King DZA »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:50:55 pm »

I'm just going to say "proceed with caution" and "use your judgement". Have some failsafes in place for things like FBs and cave-dwelling predators, but it's not nearly so bad.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:08:34 pm »

Right, thanks for the info, currently dug into a cavern 7 z-levels above the floor, so I'll need to dig down slowly. If forgotten beasts can be captured this will give me a foe for my cyclops to fight in my epic arena I have planned. Dumb cyclops wouldn't get chained up as a guard.
My Steam Account

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:19:01 pm »

FB's are trap immune, so catching one is a lil tricky. It can be done with careful use of spider webs (GCS required), and IIRC cave in dust (cave in or pre captured dust creature needed)... they need to land on a cage trap while stunned.
This is a blank sig.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:25:04 pm »

FB's are trap immune, so catching one is a lil tricky. It can be done with careful use of spider webs (GCS required), and IIRC cave in dust (cave in or pre captured dust creature needed)

They can't be stunned. Webs are needed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 05:44:33 pm »

It's a good idea to have at least a few military dwarves on standby though.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 06:26:19 pm »

And a drawbridge linked to a lever that dwarves will be able to reach before the FB gets past the bridge, in case things go horribly wrong. (They will.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 06:31:24 pm »

And a drawbridge linked to a lever that dwarves will be able to reach before the FB gets past the bridge, in case things go horribly wrong. (They will.)

Everything in DF goes wrong from the moment you press embark.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 06:40:51 pm »

Learned that the hard way after a FB bashed through a door and actually killed my entire military with one attack.  I really need to figure out how to web cage traps.
My Steam Account

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »

I think the best option would be to get your hands on some giant cave spiders and have them pastured along a balcony on either side of and directly above a long 2x pathway filled with cage traps that they overlook, with a ramp at the interior end (nearer your fort so the fb doesn't just kill the GCS' before going down the hall.) make sure there are floor grates over the pathway, so the GCS' can target the FBs without the possibility of flying beasts getting to them. They may still get sick/killed from an FB that uses ranged attacks/generates gases around it, especially toxic gas-emitting ones that are also composed of steam and fly up through the grates (or do flying steam beasts path through grates?)
When the GCS spot the FB going down the hall, they will web 'em, and it will get caught in the cage traps in the hall. They will probably also run down to where the FB was, so it'll trigger dwarves to go repasture them as well as collect the cage. And of course get caught in the webs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 06:57:29 pm »

I think most of that roared over my head at 800 MPH, but I think I get the general idea and will try it after this colosseum.
My Steam Account

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:29:04 pm »

Smile, you're being sigged.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 07:31:12 pm »

Smile, you're being sigged.

??? :)  :D  :P ^-^  :-*  8)
Pages: [1] 2