Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150320 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!
« Reply #2325 on: September 28, 2012, 08:44:41 am »

Aww, don't we already have names for all the bayoballs? While I DO love wordplay, I don't think this is a good enough reason to switch. At least half of them would need to be puns for me to think otherwise. And good ones too! I don't see how a bayonet is relevant. :P

We do? :) Oh, well they'll be changed when someone's got a specific idea for each one. :)

Back to TM's and stat fiddling! :D

Darvi : Mag Nets are Magnetic Nets, causing ELECTRIC and STEEL types to be stuck to them due to their charged / conductive natures. /unnecessary snarkiness

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: September 28, 2012, 08:51:43 am »

Aww, don't we already have names for all the bayoballs? While I DO love wordplay, I don't think this is a good enough reason to switch. At least half of them would need to be puns for me to think otherwise. And good ones too! I don't see how a bayonet is relevant. :P
Darvi : Mag Nets are Magnetic Nets, causing ELECTRIC and STEEL types to be stuck to them due to their charged / conductive natures. /unnecessary snarkiness
Wouldn't they make circutry-based mons go haywire and/or shut down?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:36 am »

That works too. :)

One thing to ask. We've got the overall plot with the rival, possessed dungeon master / race leader type thing going on. But the setting kind of seems jumbled, like an odd pastiche. That's fine, but atm I'm not really sure what goes where. For example, it's stated in various places that Elves, Demons, and Goblins are "The Evil Team". But surely they're actually 3 separate evil teams? That's fine, but just to clarify. Also, are the dwarves the protagonists? Where do humans come into this? Is the world going to be a clash between evil powers with the 'good' guys just getting stuck in the middle? I'm getting far too caught up / excited in all of this. XD

Edit : Some more TM'ing done. I'd like to do some dialogue but I don't want to ruin others' plans so I'd need some story direction first. In the meantime, more TM'ing and possibly some held items!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:47:16 am by Korbac »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: September 28, 2012, 11:35:31 am »

Dwarves:
Society falling into Chaos, as the dwarven dungeon masters have been possessed by the demons. Generally a noble, hardworking, loyal folk, that loyalty really isn't serving them well here. You'll be fighting a lot of them in the early game, either in friendly matches, to get by soldiers, or when infiltrating the Dungeons.

Elves:
Elves have always had a relatively unstable relationship with the dwarves, with off and on conflicts over the years, but their lands are technically part of the dwarven kingdoms. Many elves are fine with that (though many is pushing it, since there aren't exactly a whole ton of elves), but there's always been an undercurrent of desiring independence. Recently, thanks to the growing madness of the dungeon masters and the rise of a powerful Elven warlord, the simmering instability has turned into turned bloody and violent rebellion. Or severe annoyance. The problem is the elves are quite limited by their low numbers, and spend most of their time hiding in their forest retreat.

So : The western half of the continent is dwarves and elves, who are currently having a lot of infighting, the most organized of which is the Elven conflict. The elven team rocket analogue sees will oppose or attempt to manipulate the player depending on which seems most likely to yield elven independence, and they've got schemes going everywhere in attempt to achieve victory despite being outnumbered and outgunned by the dwarves.

This is the Early Conflict, and the elven separatists will continue their mission for the whole game, though the conflict will fade in importance.

Meanwhile, in the Eastern Kingdom, dominated by humans and specifically a single human city, Ironhand City, they are having their own internal strife. The king's rule has gotten particularly brutal, and a group calling it's the LCS has begun what amounts to terrorist activities in an attempt to build resentment against the king, overthrowing him and resulting in a superior government that will bring utopia. They are a bit fuzzy on how exactly that will happen or what form it would take, but it doesn't matter. An opposition group calling itself the ACL, or simply the Loyalists, has decided to bring the fight to them in support of structure, order, tradition, and history, all of which say opposition elements to the kind get crushed.

The King considers both groups annoyances, and mostly ignores them,. though they have been causing more property damage and trouble as of late. He wants them gone so he can get back to the joys of torturing people and planning his invasion of the dwarven lands. He's especially desirous of the Elven forests, which he could clear cut and turn into more ships for his ever expanding fleet.

Meanwhile meanwhile, the normally ill organized goblin villages of the northern desert have been united under a new leader, the Goblin Chieftain, who has been chosen by a supernatural being to lead them to supremacy. He builds their jealousy of the southern kingdoms with their verdant lands and rich resources and happy citizens, and works them into a fervor with the intent of invading and declaring himself ruler of all.

Every single one of these leaders is being manipulated by the demons, some moreso than others, and eliminating the demonic influence will give the lands a chance of peace.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: September 28, 2012, 11:47:46 am »

Fantastic. This is exactly what we needed! :D

So, in terms of opponents:

Early game : Lots of Dwarves and Elves
Mid game : Lots of Humans, some Elves, maybe a Dwarf or two hanging around
Late game : Lots of Goblins, maybe one or two Elves
End game : Demons, Leaders possessed by Demons, Rival possessed by Demon.

As far as the current script goes, we've also got an undead invasion in the second / third town. This seems a bit early, but I'll let you guys decide on that.

Cheers GlyphGryph! :D

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: September 28, 2012, 12:13:44 pm »

Ah, sounds interesting.. Any chance of if my raccoon mons ever get accepted..
That a series of mini quests about a madman attempting world domination with his coon friends legion?  :P
(Of course, the plans are bound to fail at every attempt he makes. Sort of like, Jessie and James schemes.)(And he will only ever have these furry little things as his mons.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:45:25 pm by Ultimuh »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: September 28, 2012, 12:33:03 pm »

So does he get new ones after every fight, then?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: September 28, 2012, 12:42:16 pm »

As far as the current script goes, we've also got an undead invasion in the second / third town. This seems a bit early, but I'll let you guys decide on that.

Hmm... I didn't know there was an undead invasion planned.

...oh! You mean THAT town. That's not an invasion, those are dwarves that were turned into monsters by the dungeon master. You could put some notes about how he got the knowledge from the necromancer in his tower, though, or some other sort of connection? But the fact that they were possessed is probably enough. The true undead don't come about until much later, and that's really kind of a sidequest thing (maybe a mandatory one) rather than part of the main plot.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: September 28, 2012, 12:44:59 pm »

So does he get new ones after every fight, then?

Yes, and they would be higher levels each time, and also evolved at appropriate levels.
But he will always use the same kind of mon.

Or, at least that was the idea. :p

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: September 28, 2012, 12:49:16 pm »

Could be that he found a group of them and you fight him as he's trying to raise the group, so it's not that he's finding new ones that are higher level in between, but that you're fighting a subset of a group that as a whole is getting better as he trains them.

(don't know if this is useful or relevant, I need to go back and re-read when I have time... today's stupid busy)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: September 28, 2012, 12:49:51 pm »

Hmm... I didn't know there was an undead invasion planned.

...oh! You mean THAT town. That's not an invasion, those are dwarves that were turned into monsters by the dungeon master. You could put some notes about how he got the knowledge from the necromancer in his tower, though, or some other sort of connection? But the fact that they were possessed is probably enough. The true undead don't come about until much later, and that's really kind of a sidequest thing (maybe a mandatory one) rather than part of the main plot.

Brilliant ideas, I'll get on that right now. I thought it was kind of... I don't know... steep for an early area (a bit like an RPG throwing dragons at you during your second quest) but it IS DF, after all.  :P

Script ahoy!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: September 28, 2012, 12:54:52 pm »

Despite their monstrous appearances, they are not actually that /strong/. They are mostly farmers, after all, not soldiers. And even the soldiers in that town are like the least combat capable ever.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: September 28, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »

Could be that he found a group of them and you fight him as he's trying to raise the group, so it's not that he's finding new ones that are higher level in between, but that you're fighting a subset of a group that as a whole is getting better as he trains them.

That would sound plausible.

Any how, this all was just an Idea I had as a small contribution along with that raccoon idea I posted some pages back.
So you cannot tell me I didn't do anything to contribute to this project.  :P
Assuming that the idea will be accepted of course.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:01:03 pm by Ultimuh »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:16 pm »

Despite their monstrous appearances, they are not actually that /strong/. They are mostly farmers, after all, not soldiers. And even the soldiers in that town are like the least combat capable ever.

Yeah, I understand. :)

Well, butter my biscuits! Someone did most of the script alreadys. :D I just added to the DM text a bit and I'll flesh out the moves for the leader's mons. :)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:34 pm »

I don't know how necessary it is, but I know we were trying to find ways for the rival to keep getting new mons, so it might be worth having a way for him to keep getting new mons. Alternatively, have the description of the coonmons say they're known for faking their own death and let him reuse the same ones?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 166