Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150371 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Striking the ROM! (In a productive way)
« Reply #465 on: December 12, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »

You could give them a couple off-type moves (or allow them to learn them) to pump things up.

Who doesn't want an elephant that can shoot water or blow out of its trunk? (Hydro Pump/Gust) Or perhaps give it earthquake or a couple ground type moves? Substitute seems a bit odd, thematically, for an elephant.

Not every move needs to be useful, really, or at least not intentionally useful - people might be able to come up with interesting builds on their own. And some can just be fun. I like minimize, though, since he's a tiny elephant and now he can get smaller. :P

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 12, 2011, 01:29:01 pm »

Yeah I agree about Substitute and I like the idea of being able to learn moves from other types. I'll probably shuffle it up a bit and swap out some stuff, but I'm going to let it sit until this evening when I get some more time so I can have a bit of a fresh look. More ideas from other people about thematic moves would be great, since that was kind of where I was lacking with Mr. Tusks. I basically had to google him to have any idea what he was about since I don't read dinosaur comics :P.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 12, 2011, 01:33:45 pm »

Even though he doesn't have any pump up moves, would something like Baton Pass still be useful? Since people could pass him moves, and then he could pass them on just before he dies?

I'd think rhyhorn would be a good inspiration for off-type moves that are still appropriate.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 12, 2011, 02:54:51 pm »

What I said is honestly just a guideline. Forge Stone I imagine will work on fires and steels, depending on the type.

You could always call it coal.

This stuff is pretty awesome, by the way.
I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 12, 2011, 05:32:55 pm »

I took a shot again at the Shruman, but the results are.. bleh.

Yeah, humanoids are not my specialty  ::)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 12, 2011, 10:59:38 pm »

Uncarp:

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:25 pm »

Glyph, I'm thoroughly jealous of your spriting skills.

Also, slightly reworked elephant attacks:
Code: [Select]
Mr. Tusks -Tome Stone-> Skelefaint
Ability: Inner Focus (Mr.Tusks) -> Intimidate (Skelefaint)

Pound 1 1
Defense Curl 1 1
Tail Whip 8
Leer 8
Fury Attack 11 11
Amnesia 14
Curse 14
Rollout 17
Bite 17
Minimize 21 21
Stomp 25 25
Focus Energy 29
Nasty Plot 29
Endure 33
Glare 33
Earthquake 37
Crunch 37
Megahorn 41 41
Iron Defense 45
Perish Song 45
Thrash 50 50
Rest 55
Block 55
Moved Rollout down, added Earthquake, swapped in Megahorn and Iron Defense. A bit more diverse and a bit more interesting. Might rework it a little more, but it's a few steps in the right direction.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:59 am »

So... did anyone like my suggestion of a bronze colossus legendary mon?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 13, 2011, 12:12:07 am »

Oh sorry, I missed it. I'm pretty sure we'd talked about it before in IRC and there was general agreement. I think Bronze Colossus, Dragon, one-other-I-don't-remember were the three legendaries at one point. I'm not sure if that's still the prevailing thought, but I like it. Regardless, I'd say a Bronze Colossus mon is a good idea.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 13, 2011, 12:38:38 am »

Legendary inspirations will be, I think, something like this, with one unevolving legendary for each major region of the world:
The Four Dragons
Dragon - Dragon/Fire, Volcano, North
Sea Serpent - Dragon/Water, Coast, East
Hydra - Dragon/Dark, Swamp, West
Forgotten Beast - Dragon/Poison, Unfinished Isles, South

Other Legendaries
Ice Titan - Ice, Icy Wastes
Earth Titan - Rock, Underground
Colossus - Steel, Ruins

Final Dungeon Legendary
Devil - HFS

Details vary. But note that NONE of these are actually mons, with the potential exception of the forgotten beast.

Every one of them needs to be Dwarfomonized before we can even consider adding it to the game. So don't think of adding a "bronze collosus legendary mon", think "what legendary worthy mon can I come up with based on the bronze colloses?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 13, 2011, 04:08:58 am »

Legendary inspirations will be, I think, something like this, with one unevolving legendary for each major region of the world:
The Four Dragons
Dragon - Dragon/Fire, Volcano, North
Sea Serpent - Dragon/Water, Coast, East
Hydra - Dragon/Dark, Swamp, West
Forgotten Beast - Dragon/Poison, Unfinished Isles, South

Other Legendaries
Ice Titan - Ice, Icy Wastes
Earth Titan - Rock, Underground
Colossus - Steel, Ruins

Final Dungeon Legendary
Devil - HFS

Details vary. But note that NONE of these are actually mons, with the potential exception of the forgotten beast.

Every one of them needs to be Dwarfomonized before we can even consider adding it to the game. So don't think of adding a "bronze collosus legendary mon", think "what legendary worthy mon can I come up with based on the bronze colloses?

Not every legendary need to be Dragon type?
In my opinion, the FB could be Dark/Poison.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 13, 2011, 04:28:30 am »

The Four Dragons
:3

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 13, 2011, 04:39:04 am »

The Four Dragons
:3

Ah.. missed that part somehow..
Then let me rephrase that..

In my opinion, FB's dosn't seem like the Dragon type to me, maybe Dark type would be more suitable for that?
And perhaps have a Chimera as the fourth dragon instead?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:19:43 am by Ultimuh »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 13, 2011, 07:12:41 am »

Maybe a VERY nasty way of having a forgotten beast legendary could be a difficult to catch one. One that's dark/ghost type (no weaknesses) and has the ability Wonder Guard (only super effective moves hit) and can only be damaged by status or weather conditions. Sort of like the blob FBs or metal/rock FBs.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 13, 2011, 07:50:51 am »

The Four Dragons, to me, sort of mirror the legendary birds. Or at least that was my intention.

We should probably have a couple semi-legendary pokemon, too. Mon's that you can only get one of and stuff.

Regardless, we still haven't had any suggestions for mons to fill those slots, so get started darn it!

Also, the problem with the FB having wonderguard and dark/ghost type, is that people probably won't be trying to catch it, they'll be trying to KILL it! So all that would do is give them an uber mon, really.

However, I think an Unfinished mon in the dungeon with those abilities and types might not be a terrible idea.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 166