Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150319 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Striking the ROM! (In a productive way)
« Reply #390 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:51 pm »

Oh no, he is not the most powerful start at all. That would be Perlihorn, the normal type :P

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 07, 2011, 10:16:03 pm »

That is on funky looking bulbasaur pallette swap. Are we gonna wait until the pokedex is filled out before making the backsprites for the sake of efficiency?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 07, 2011, 10:27:29 pm »

Yeah Sirus, we're remaking all the mons and all the routes. You'll see some normal-type attacks in the first wild mons you fight, but being ghost type isn't going to be a massive advantage, just a bit of a leg up. Plus his moveset and his stats aren't great at dealing damage, especially at first when the ghost advantage works best, so if you can hit him at all you've got a decent chance.

And, to counter your butterfree reasoning, as soon as you caught any other pokemon and raised it to level 4 or so you could ditch your starter and do basically just as well as if you had it with the wild pokemon you have available. The pokemon dev team has a way of giving you the solution to your problems in a pretty obvious way (especially in the more recent versions). The game's only as hard as you make it, really.

(I beat Brock with a relatively overlevelled charmander and ember. Turns out higher special attack and a special-type move win over type-effectiveness when the cards are down.)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 07, 2011, 10:31:01 pm »

Let's not forget starting with an electric type, and then fighting brock.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 07, 2011, 10:36:56 pm »

Hahahaha oh man I forgot about that. Poor sap kid whose first Pokemon game was yellow. That's a problem you can't just hit your head against until it works.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 07, 2011, 10:55:39 pm »

Wait, are you seriously making a starting pokemon part-Ghost? Hope you picked it, because it'll be completely invincible to Scratch and Tackle and the like and thus, a serious disk-one-nuke. What's that? You picked the grass-type? Now the first rival battle is impossible to win.

It is worth noting that the Grass Type starts with Odor Sleuth as a move for precisely this reason. And while starting with Fire/Ghost means you'll beat up your rival in the first fight, every fight thereafter his every moves will be super-effective against you.

Anywho, hooray for the first Pokemon making it into the game! This is the start of something truly horrifying.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 07, 2011, 11:18:51 pm »

I don't know if it's already been suggested, but have the elite four city be Nist Akath.
Also, I would like to suggest the BATTERY to be a ingame location like New Mauville.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 08, 2011, 04:46:25 pm »

For those wondering, we've begun the startings of a plot and story. For non-pokemon stuff:

There are going to be 8 dungeon masters, each at the head of their own personal dungeon. Some of these will be associated with forts, some of them will not. They will be far more optional, to a certain point, than the original gyms, though the advantages they confer are rather nice in some cases. After beating the DM, there will usually be a good deal of loot to pick up.

However, they will also be significantly more difficult. While each dungeon master will have a theme for their dungeon, many of them will also have something approaching a strategy as well, and almost all of them will have a full team. Going in with the right plan and the proper preparation, and at the right time, will be important.

That's the plan, anyways.

We've only got two Dungeon Master with much detail at this point, And obviously there's lots of work with the mons we intend on doing first.

My personal favorite Dungeon Master is going to be the one at the end of Tss-Tss cavern, I think. ;)

Also, Brumble sprite should be ready to be inserted into the game, I'll be trying to get out a back sprite for him and boatborn tonight.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:48:57 pm by GlyphGryph »

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 09, 2011, 01:25:37 am »

I suggest you put Tsss or Dolbok in next.

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 09, 2011, 05:10:18 am »

God damn, how did I miss all this?

I absolutely LOVE all of you for all of this and I'd love to help out somehow once my life gets a bit more stable.

I'd like to help on the creative front if you guys are still accepting that, but given my very recent track record involving pokemon (sorry) I'd understand if you'd prefer I stay away.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 09, 2011, 07:59:52 am »

Do a sprite, any sprite, and you'll have our appreciation.

Do a whole sprite line, and you'll have our love.

It's that simple. ;)

In other news, I ended up having no free time last night for back sprites, and won't have any tonight either. As far as doing Dolbuk or Tsss, Tsss already has a sprite, move list, and stat sheet, so he will likely be going in first. I'll get his sprite properly indexed to be added after I finish the backsprites on Saturday.

Anyone who wants to work on the Uncarp or Perlihorn line, it would be much appreciated - they are the most ready to be added to the game, since their stats and moves and descriptions are complete. And it would be nice to have all three starters available.

Also, USEC
Not sure if I like the contributor list in the first post. One, it doesn't really seem to reflect the actual contributors and their contributions. Two, the divisions seem a bit odd, especially since I'm primarily doing art and managing the repo rather than doing any coding. :P
Perhaps just use it to list people the could be turned to for questions on the project itself (Probably myself, you, and bluerobin at this point, maybe monk if he wants it), or a list of those who've contributed something tangible in some way (in which case maybe drakon should be added since I think he helped out with the wiki)?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:17:10 am by GlyphGryph »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 09, 2011, 12:30:05 pm »

Also, USEC
Not sure if I like the contributor list in the first post. One, it doesn't really seem to reflect the actual contributors and their contributions. Two, the divisions seem a bit odd, especially since I'm primarily doing art and managing the repo rather than doing any coding. :P
Perhaps just use it to list people the could be turned to for questions on the project itself (Probably myself, you, and bluerobin at this point, maybe monk if he wants it), or a list of those who've contributed something tangible in some way (in which case maybe drakon should be added since I think he helped out with the wiki)?

That's a better idea than what I was doing. I'll do that right now.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 09, 2011, 07:35:27 pm »

For some reason both Newnet and the other site you gave me to access the IRC are bugging out and won't connect. Is there any other ways to access it?
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 09, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »

Hmm... Mibbit seems to be working for me. Have you tried searching for another IRC client? All I've tried so far is the Mibbit one, so you probably know more than me about this stuff.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 09, 2011, 07:45:26 pm »

What the heck I made an account on Mibbit just now. The Lost connection popup was flashing on and off so much that it could probably have given someone a seizure
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 166