Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150265 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Striking the ROM! (In a productive way)
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2011, 04:57:43 pm »

I think its not shared right now, so you'd have to fork and then send me a pull request. One minute.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2011, 04:59:21 pm »

So yeah, quick git question. I'll give a best and slightly worse case version of the same question. If me and USEC are both working on converting different pokemon to their dwarfmon equivalents (I'm making Rattata a macaque and he's working on converting the Charmander line to the Boarmurdered line, for instance) starting from a ROM that has neither of these changes and we push our changes sequentially, what happens? Second, if we're converting the SAME pokemon (accidentally both converting Rattata into two different dwarfmon) and we push sequentially, what happens?

Edit: Also, a pokemon type analysis tool that could be useful for building dwarfmons: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/typeanalysis.php
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:01:19 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2011, 05:02:38 pm »

If you're working on different pokemon, it shouldn't cause a problem. Hopefully. I've never actually done it with this sort of thing before. But supposedly it shouldn't cause an issue, because you'll be working on different sections of the rom image.

If you work on the same sections of rom memory, you'll likely get a conflict and be asked to keep one version or the other.

Also, I've set you both up as Collabs, so you should be able to pull and push and merge and everything on your own now. I believe.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2011, 05:04:49 pm »

Haha ok. I'm gonna head home in a couple minutes and start working on this. Do you guys want to fiddle around with it tonight on the DFC Steam chat or Kael's Teamspeak server so we can figure some basic how-to-make-this-all-work stuff out in realtime?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2011, 05:05:53 pm »

I'm up for that, I was planning on working on it tonight (in about an hour and a half or two hours) anyways

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2011, 05:08:08 pm »

Sounds good.

Also, I played around with the starter types a bit and Fire/Ghost, Water/Dark, Grass/Steel works for rock-paper-scissors type advantages if that's more thematically relevant. The only problem is Grass/Steel is resistant to Ghost (but isn't super effective against Fire or Ghost, so it's a one-way advantage), although it's still vulnerable to Fire. Very vulnerable. Might be enough of an offset?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2011, 05:16:49 pm »

I think that's more than good enough. And I like grass/Steel better for Unicron than fighting/steel.

I still think we need a magma elephant at some point, but there's no reason we can't have two elephants! Heck, you can even include in the description of Boatborn that it was born from the death of a "Geophant".

(Although I'm still not really sure why the starters have to be rock/paper/scissors. We don't need to follow the stupider rules if we don't want to!)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:19:15 pm by GlyphGryph »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2011, 05:20:46 pm »

I'm up for that, I was planning on working on it tonight (in about an hour and a half or two hours) anyways

Same here. Plus, I haven't joined DFC yet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2011, 05:23:10 pm »

Ah, I just remembered I can't do steamchat, because I don't have the Windows. Unless there's a non-steam way to connect to steam chat. I could just throw up an IRC room for us though.

I don't know if Teamspeak would work on my comp.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2011, 05:32:25 pm »

Same here. Plus, I haven't joined DFC yet.
*gasp* Here's a link to make it easier in case you haven't yet.

Hmm, looks like there's a cross-platform Steam chat client that supports linux (I'm assuming linux because Mac Steam exists). Dunno how functional it is, but it could be worth a try? IRC works too, though.
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1057523?s=1e1b536bbf4e48356e37c6f373a276ac

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »

I just noticed the comment on starters. I think the main reason to make them rock-paper-scissors is simply because it has the potential to make battles against your rival more difficult. Starters typically have better overall stats than a lot of the pokemon in the first half of the games, so if you're not specifically planning they'll often become your highest level/best all-around pokemon by default. However, I just realized that we get to choose what we want our rival's dwarfmon to be (and really, whether we want a rival at all), so it doesn't really matter all that much. We can make it as easy or as hard (and as tailored-to-your-starter-choice) as we want it to be.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2011, 06:08:05 pm »

Yeah, what would really be cool is along with choosing your rivals name, you chose what he was like.

"He was a bit of a pushover, so I looked after him." All the battles with him are easy - easier than vanilla ruby / sapphire.

"We used to compete at everything. I won... usually." Standard difficulty battles - maybe a little tougher than vanilla, about emerald strength.

"He used to stop me getting picked on by the other kids." I hope you like grinding.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2011, 06:35:00 pm »

This project is AWESOME!

I had some ideas for pokemon and drew concept art for them when I had some freetime at school earlier

A ridiculously common crundle line
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some other ideas I was thinking about was a Fire Imp  that would become a Dark/Fire type Spirit of Fire based pokemon
Also a magma man and a  blizzard man pokemon that would be parallels of each other.
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:43 pm »

This project is AWESOME!

I had some ideas for pokemon and drew concept art for them when I had some freetime at school earlier

A ridiculously common crundle line
Some other ideas I was thinking about was a Fire Imp  that would become a Dark/Fire type Spirit of Fire based pokemon
Also a magma man and a  blizzard man pokemon that would be parallels of each other.

Damn, that's pretty awesome. :o Now you just need to get someone to make them into sprites!

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2011, 06:52:00 pm »

Dear god, this is win.

I have no artistic talent whatsoever, but once I get finished with finals and such I think I'll start learning how to working with the coding and such for the ROM.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 166