Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150257 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Pre-embark Set-up!
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2011, 02:47:36 pm »

Plump Helmet Men must be included. Somehow.
(they can burn forever, too)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2011, 02:52:25 pm »

I shall be able to sprite-craft anything that needs sprite-crafting. SIGN ME UP.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2011, 02:56:37 pm »

Give us an example! Do some pokeman sprites for Cat-2/Cat-5/Catsplosion or the Boatborn->Boatmurdered line!

Also, has anyone tried to make use of the repo yet to let me know if its all working correctly?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:01:13 pm by GlyphGryph »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2011, 03:01:04 pm »

include SHADE:
he must always go around screaming horrible and dark curses to enemies.
especially the protagonist.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2011, 03:04:23 pm »

I'm actually thinking most of the characters in the game should be bay12 people (though with names modified to seem like real names instead of handles).

The final 4 should be, like... Footkerchief, Aqizzar, Vector, and Toonyman.

Members of the dev team get first call on gym leaders and story characters, and we'll have plenty of names for the various random trainers we come across.

SHADE can be a ghost/dark trainer. :P

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »

Also, has anyone tried to make use of the repo yet to let me know if its all working correctly?
I'm a bad fake-coder and actually don't really know how to use github. I can follow the tutorial and stuff and see if I can get it working, though.

Will we basically just keep the ROM on that and push updates into it as we work on it? Because as I understand it everything we do is just going to go into that ROM file.

I'm actually thinking most of the characters in the game should be bay12 people (though with names modified to seem like real names instead of handles).
I... really like this idea, for the most part. The main problem I see is choosing who gets named what, but that can be relatively easily overcome with polls/votes.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2011, 03:14:41 pm »

Or it can be overcome by doing whatever we want, giving active contributors control over the final content? :P

The github will basically have the history of the rom and all the notes we'll obviously need to get this done. Communication is going to be important, so documentation on what we've dobe and haven't done but need to do and aren't going to do is going to need to be important.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2011, 03:30:20 pm »

Alright, so I can fork from your repo and commit and everything seems to be working. We'll either need to use pull requests from our individual forks or share your repository to get actual collaborative development going, though. Which would you vote for?

I'm excited. :D I wanna get out of work and go play with the script/map editors...
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »

Well getting all the "pokes" together first would be good. Then town design would follow, and then finally trainer placement and the actual "plot".  :)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2011, 03:39:10 pm »

Blue, don't really care either way. I'll probably just share the repo.

Korbac,
That's true, it is the most important thing in my mind. The thing is, we need more than just pokemon concepts, we need details - stats, levels, abilities, rarity, environments, etc.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:43:21 pm by GlyphGryph »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »

How serious a conversion do we want this to be? You can do everything from a (relatively) simple pokemon/trainer names/gym leader/elite four swap to a full on conversion with custom tileart where necessary, a world domination or rebellion/uprising storyline (have badges be marks of loyalty from the various regions' leaders, for instance), and completely customized events/encounters, as far as I can tell. Obviously the second is much more work, especially (in my mind, anyway) on the creative end, coming up with everything and making it not too corny.

Oh and I could crank out stats/abilities/stuff for a chunk of the pokemon without too much work if I'm given a concept to work with. This is probably the area that's going to need the most iteration/input from people who know how to game the pokemon system.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:42:20 pm by Bluerobin »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2011, 03:43:05 pm »

I'd argue the second requires us to AT LEAST do the first, so a "swap" should be our initial goal. Once we have all our own stuff in, we can rewrite dialogue and maybe even events and locations if we still have momentum at that point. And honestly, that's were a lot of the fun will come in, but it all requires that groundwork be laid first.

I think our first goal should be to simply replace the three starter chains with our own pokemon. If we can do that, we know we can do everything. ;)

So lets start with one creature, basic starter and evolution tree. Use standard moves for now:
Boatborn : A small stone elephant-like creature with flaming eyes.
Evolutions:
Boatblasted : A good sized stone elephant with flaming eyes and tusks. It has the ability to shoot magma from its trunk. 
Boatmurdered : An enormous stone elephant with numerous tusks and spikes, and four burning eyes.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:49:18 pm by GlyphGryph »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »

Agreed, sounds like a good plan. Time to start brainstorming mon concepts...

Edit: Oh god.

Mermaid (water) -> Skeletal Mermaid (water/ghost or dark) -> Mermaid Skull Totem (Water/ghost or dark)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:45:43 pm by Bluerobin »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2011, 03:53:07 pm »

Glyphgryph, poke concepts... muahuahua!!! I think I may actually be useful for once.  :P

Typing is gonna be a bit of trouble, isn't it.

Some ideas right off the bat for "pokes" - I will elaborate if asked:

Cave Swallow - Giant Cave Swallow - Cave Swallow Man (All Flying)

Baby Elephant Type Thing - Elephant - War Elephant (All normal?) OR Undead Mammoth (Necrostone, Dark?) OR Demon Tusk (Fire Stone, Fire)

Koi - Sturgeon - Carp (Water obv)

Recruit - Wrestler - Kung Fu Dwarf (Fighting)

Rheus Macaque - Gibbon - Gorilla (First two stages Grass, second Ground? Loses speed in favour of power at last evolution. Maybe a Slaking expy?)

Will of the Fort - Dwarven Hivemind (Psychic, of course! Really crappy phys stats probable.)

!Pig Tail Sock! - !!+Pig Tail Sock+!! - !!!*Pig Tail Sock*!!! (Fire obv, probably flame body as an ability.)

Miner (Normal or Ground) - Granite Miner (Rock) OR Iron Miner (Steel)

Merman - Merthing - Merbeast (Water, again)

Oh, we need electricity! Hmmn. That's going to be tough :/ I guess we could have

Mechanism - Lever - Cage Trap (Rock / Electric)

FAKEEDIT - Beaten to the punch for some of them.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2011, 03:57:27 pm »

Hmm... what was that BEEEEEEEEEEEEEES thread about? I just kind of saw it around a while ago and didn't actually read through it.
Bees -> BEES -> BEEEEEES  ?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 166