Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150216 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Pre-embark Set-up!
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 08:37:33 pm »

Has anyone used Github before? Can't seem to get it working properly.

I have, busy at the moment though. If you haven't figured it out by tomorrow I'll get one set up for us and manage it. If you haven't used it before, it might actually be better for me to handle it all around (or someone else experienced with it)

You know what? Set one up for me. I'm a bit busy fiddling with adding a Pokemon in.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 08:41:46 pm »

Doing it now.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2011, 08:42:10 pm »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2011, 08:42:44 pm »

Cacame should be Gary Oak.  He's your hated rival, a fuckin' elf, and yet he made it past the Elite Four before you!  As much as you hate the bastard, you gotta respect that skill.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2011, 08:47:57 pm »

Cacame should be Gary Oak.  He's your hated rival, a fuckin' elf, and yet he made it past the Elite Four before you!  As much as you hate the bastard, you gotta respect that skill.

We're using Pokemon Emerald, so Gary Oak isn't in the game, though perhaps at a later date we could add him.

Also: Success, of a sort.

Apparently Emerald has some sort of problem with changing the palette of Pokemon, which is probably why the image looks so crappy. Still I've managed to get it into the game, so it's a start, at least.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2011, 08:56:30 pm »

IT BEGINS.

Is it just a palette swap, or have you mucked with its name/stats/whatever?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2011, 08:57:20 pm »

If I wanted to, I could, but right now I'd be happy just making it look like it's supposed to.

EDIT: I'm going to quit for today. We might have to downgrade to Ruby or Sapphire, as I can't seem to the palette working properly in Emerald. If someone else wants to take a shot at it, be my guest. Maybe you'll figure out how to get it working for Emerald.

I'll put up the links you'll need in the opening post.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:22:39 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2011, 09:25:38 pm »

https://github.com/GlyphGryph/Bay12Pokemon

Github repo is set up

Let me know if you have any problems.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 01:17:25 pm »

YES YES YES.

This is amazing. I want in. I can sort of sprite (well enough to be presentable, but it takes me a while, so I probably can't do a whole lot of them) and I learn computer stuff quickly, so I could help with the hacking. I'd like to have at least one pokemon/evolution tree, but other than that I probably won't contribute as much with the creative side, mostly the execution side.

Edit: also, this is amazing.
The answer is, of course, nothing except a total lack of expertise and knowledge.
Nice OP :P

Editedit: I'm not sure how Toady would feel about linking a game ROM in the OP, but I'm pretty sure it's not kosher. We'll need it somewhere so we're all working on the same thing, but not directly linked to a ROM site from the OP.\

Edit^3: Just a little list of stuff that I feel should be in somehow, whether it's a location or a mon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the idea of the two criminal teams and I like the twist of them having the same leader.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:39:45 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 01:38:54 pm »

Oh dear..

I wonder if certain creatures.. Like Crundles will be implemented..

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 01:40:41 pm »

YES YES YES.

This is amazing. I want in. I can sort of sprite (well enough to be presentable, but it takes me a while, so I probably can't do a whole lot of them) and I learn computer stuff quickly, so I could help with the hacking. I'd like to have at least one pokemon/evolution tree, but other than that I probably won't contribute as much with the creative side, mostly the execution side.

Edit: also, this is amazing.
The answer is, of course, nothing except a total lack of expertise and knowledge.
Nice OP :P

Editedit: I'm not sure how Toady would feel about linking a game ROM in the OP, but I'm pretty sure it's not kosher. We'll need it somewhere so we're all working on the same thing, but not directly linked to a ROM site from the OP.

I agree, that OP made me lol. And welcome aboard, lord knows we need more execution people than creative people. However, you raise a good point.

Quote from: Forum Guidelines
If you post links to illegal material (files that are being illegally distributed, ie unsanctioned commercial game/music torrents/downloads, etc.) or post illegal images (or images that would have been behind 18+ warnings, etc.), you will be banned.  Don't ask for links or otherwise ask to be directed to places where you can download/obtain things like that either, even if the situation is somewhat more lax in your locality.

I think we'll be fine as long as we don't link directly to that ROM site. I suppose if the link to the project that contains the specific ROM we're working on isn't kosher, we'll be warned. Hopefully not, I really like this idea and hope it gets a chance to go good entertaining places.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 01:44:39 pm »

Yeah, I mean, if all else fails we can always just keep this thread as is minus that link in the OP and have the ROM hosted somewhere that isn't linked. Then someone who's interested just has to PM someone who would be mentioned in the OP (probably basically anyone who's part of the project) to ask for a link. It really shouldn't be a big deal, I don't think.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:51:00 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 02:14:01 pm »

Doublepost because I found a really good post on another forum summarizing the different aspects of ROM hacking and the tools used for each: http://forums.pokestation.net/showthread.php?5003-Pok%E9mon-GBA-Rom-Hacking-Guide

Looking things over, this is starting to look oddly easy.

Also, I've seen it mentioned multiple times that Fire Red/Leaf Green are easier to hack than Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:19:40 pm by Bluerobin »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2011, 02:29:15 pm »

Also it should be noted that I've actually done romhacks before, so we're not /completely/ bereft of experience here.

Although hex hacking Final Fantasy to turn it into a Legend of Zelda RPG will probably be fairly different from what we'll be doing, since we'll probably have those wonderful tools.

(definitely not an expert though, I barely remember any of it, haven't done this stuff since I was a young'n. But I don't remember it being that difficult unless you were doing major alterations to mechanics. Substituting values was easy, substituting logic was much more difficult.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:36:50 pm by GlyphGryph »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 02:45:10 pm »

It looks like there's an incredible amount you can do within this framework... I could easily see (and implement myself, right now, probably) aligning yourself with one group or another and having trainer battle change based on that, for instance. I'm pretty sure you can change tiles too (to destroy/build a house, for instance).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 166