Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150194 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Striking the ROM! (In a productive way)
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2011, 11:26:01 pm »

I went to the newnet website
It's FEF, not FEOF

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:08 pm »

I believe Mibbit connects to newnet as well. Try that?

http://joo.freehostia.com/fto/irc/

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2011, 11:36:45 pm »

Ah thanks, that one works
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2011, 11:52:03 pm »

The things that jump out at me there are that Will-o-Wisp is kinda unexciting on its own (especially after learning Ember,) and Destiny Bond being learned at a really low level (most Pokemon that learn it do so in 30's-40's, exception being Wynaut.) Maybe swap it with Curse? Hex might be a good mid-level addition, since it makes Will-o-Wisp useful later on and would fit around Confuse Ray's position (say Hex 17 Confuse Ray 20 Fire Spin 24?) while filling that stretch between 8-24 without a damage-dealing move.
Thanks for the feedback, that's exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately Hex wasn't introduced until Gen 5, so we don't have access to it. I think I might just remove Will-o-wisp, flip Curse and Destiny bond and shift things to space out moves better. As it is, this is already more moves than most pokemon learn, so removing one bring it closer to the 11-12 I typically saw.

Edit: Elephant and carp movesets!
Code: [Select]
Boatmurdered family  (Fire/Ghost) Evo at 16 and 36
Tackle 1
Leer 1
Astonish 6
Ember 8
Curse 13
Confuse Ray 18 20
Fire Spin 23 26
Stomp 29 32
Scary Face 35 37 38
Destiny Bond 41 44 46
Shadow Punch 47 51 54
Overheat 55 60 64

Uncarp family (Water/Dark) Evo at 16 and 36

Scratch 1
Harden 1
Beat Up 6
Water Gun 8
Roar 11
Bite 17 18
Moonlight 22 24
Pursuit 26 30
Acid Armor 33 36 37
Dive 37 39 41
Crunch 43 46 48
Muddy Water 48 52 56
Horn Drill 55 60 64
I feel pretty good about both of these now. Feedback is still definitely appreciated, though!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:55:54 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2011, 11:59:00 pm »

Updooting the weky

I've actually got enough info I could probably through a temp version of both in the game now.

Still needs:
Boatblanked line: Sprites, Stats
Uncarp line: Sprites, Stats
Unicron Line: Sprites, Stats, Moveset

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2011, 12:04:02 am »

Here's that Boatblanked line doodle I mentioned in the chat
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also a crundle sprite with a more pronounced outline as requested
It's FEF, not FEOF

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2011, 12:30:47 am »

Yeah, I've been trying to come up with a good name for the end of Unicron's line since I saw they were unlabeled, but darned if I can come up with anything- this is harder than it looks. Conceptually, I like the idea that the Grass version is something of a return to the innocence/adorableness of the first form, so having the Pearl/Horn imagery in the name would be appropriate, whereas the Fighting version is more a continuation of the progression into Murderhorn, with that hard, steely robot imagery associated with Unicron's name. Most of the ideas I come up with after that thought end up being pretty dumb, though.

Looking more at Perlihorn, the less I like that it is literally incapable of harming Boatborn, especially if there is that first Rival fight (We're hacking Fire-Red, right? That'd make the rival fight your very first fight) before you get any other Pokemon to compensate. My thoughts would be to 1) Have Perlihorn start with Absorb (low power Grass Move) or 2) Delay that first Rival fight until you have the chance to gain a couple levels and learn Vine Whip or something. I'd have suggested Grass Knot, but that move doesn't exist until Gen IV. I'd have suggested a low-power Steel move, but those don't exist :P

Fakeedit: While poking about those moves, I found Horn Leech- it's a Gen V move that would be perfect for the Grass/Psychic evolution, its basically a physical Giga Drain. The Pokemon literally stabs the target with its horn and sucks out its life energy- sounds like a Unicorn to me! Downside being it's physical, instead of special, but if we have the capability to make it exist at all I'm sure we can tweak that too.

Fakeedit2- New reply!

Aw crap, I thought Hex was Gen III. The only problem with moving Destiny Bond later now is that there isn't any new damage-dealing moves learned between levels 8-24, which to me feels like a long stretch. This is especially true if it evolves at 16, since that stretch becomes more like 8-26. I'd consider swapping Confuse Ray and Stomp so that it's only a 10 level stretch instead of 16. In any event, I wouldn't be to worried about overstocking the movesets of the starters- they're supposed to be more awesome than everyone else (that's why they'll be in your party the whole time,) so as long as they compare well to one another I wouldn't be too concerned.

Uncarp looks good to me- really good, even. It is certainly "good enough," but I have a bad habit of not leaving good enough alone. I do note that it learns more Dark moves than Water- maybe swap out Pursuit for a mid-level water move like Water Pulse, or Clamp (actually Clamp sounds really appropriate.) I'll also mention Water Spout as a possible alternative to Muddy Water, although both of them are good moves and appropriate for the mon. I'll also note that Water and Dark type moves are naturally inclined to be more powerful, and that's certainly the case here. It's something to bear in mind when it comes to statting things- if Uncarp is supposed to be the middle of the road guy, then his stats might need to skew more to the Defensive side to help offset his learnset.

Fakeedit 3- MOAR REPLIES

Wow, that Boatblanked doodle is pretty much how I imagined the family in my head. I particularly like the disappearance of the eye. Kudos, Furtuka. I hope that transfers to sprite-form well. And I really hope that crundle's are this game's Zubat :P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2011, 12:53:54 am »

I wonder what the legendaries will be?
Also, would the GCS be bug/poison type?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2011, 01:30:49 am »

Okay, Did my headcannon interpretation of Boatborn.

I see him as having a very weak, spiritual, fury based presence at the beginning, still fighting against the pull of death. As he evolves, he returns to being more and more elephant like.

As always, if you have a better idea throw it out there - even if we decide on one sprite over another, I'm not opposed to making mons to fit a good sprite. (We're already planning two elephants, why not three, right? Flaming zombie elephant, heheh. I do like Furtukas sketch, but it wasn't how I thought of it)

Without smoke:

With smoke:

Criticisms and comments welcome.

Now, onto the mechanics again:
Looking more at Perlihorn, the less I like that it is literally incapable of harming Boatborn, especially if there is that first Rival fight (We're hacking Fire-Red, right? That'd make the rival fight your very first fight) before you get any other Pokemon to compensate. My thoughts would be to 1) Have Perlihorn start with Absorb (low power Grass Move) or 2) Delay that first Rival fight until you have the chance to gain a couple levels and learn Vine Whip or something. I'd have suggested Grass Knot, but that move doesn't exist until Gen IV. I'd have suggested a low-power Steel move, but those don't exist
Except there's not actually any damage from losing your first Rival fight. We'll have some fun dialogue about how they were able to pull your 'mon back from the brink of death thanks to Doctor Tarn (or whoever's) help.

We were actually considering stacking the deck to make ALL the rival fights unwinnable - for example, by doubling the level of whatever 'mon the rival picks. Since he'll have new pokemon every other time you fight him (because you keep killing them), this will at least let you see the same enemy pokemon twice. :P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:35:07 am by GlyphGryph »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2011, 02:57:43 am »

As for unicorn evolution final form, has anyone suggested the Unicorpion yet that the travesties thread gave rise to?
This is a blank sig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2011, 03:34:34 am »

Yeah, but its gonna be its own 'mon with no evolutions :P

It's on the list on the wiki, anyways.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2011, 04:53:56 am »

Just a thought, what's the character limit on 'mon names again? 10 or 12 or something? Checking our shiny wiki device, a ton of them are going to be way over.

Also, what do I need to edit the wiki? Just a github account? I found a spelling error >:C

Double also:
Plumpspawn->Plumphelm->Helmetman (Grass)
Kobold -> Cutebold (???)
Scamps (Legendary 'mon)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2011, 07:19:50 am »

i had a striking idea.
you know one thing in pokemon which is lacking is actual realism and a hard fight.
it all resolves to grinding your way and reaching higher levels than enemy pokemon to defeat them, and type things do pose a threat, but only depending on level.
So, i have a solution:
randomize completely the "loadout" of pokemons level in areas.
that is to say a 1-100 basis of level for determinate pokemon areas.
except plot related one, going in high grass everywhere should churn out a risk of a level 100 pokemon OR the fun of a level 1 pokemon.
with all the middle range too.
in this way grinding is harder, since you need to try and run away from high level pokemons, and sometimes it's frustratin (bunch of lowlevel pokemons) ... which IS quite dwarvenly, isn't it? and instead of enemy gym leaders being wussies, level capped, and so on, randomize them from levels +5 of the normal.
so it's harder, and you'll require effective types to defeat them. U_U
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2011, 09:00:32 am »

So much to respond to...
Monk, thanks for the great input as usual. I'd be ok with swapping out Pursuit and I was thinking of Clamp as well, but then I realized the Boatmurdered line already had a no-running theme going. On the other hand, Clamp (basically the Water version of Fire Spin) fits the Carp thematically as well. In the end I just went with something, posted, and went to bed. :P I agree with you on the Boatmurdered line as well. I might just swap Fire Spin and Confuse Ray to close the gap a bit, but I'm going to look at alternatives in a minute.

I really like Furtuka's sketches and I really like that sprite too... I'm kind of torn on the issue. :-\

Kinseti, yeah those names aren't final. They need to be pokemon-ized, definitely. Basically those are the DF inspirations and we need to hybridize them with some other concept before they're complete. The starters got to be the most "pure" but I think my macaque mons, for instance, are gonna be Macookie and Macake. Dessert stealing little bastards...

Edit: Fake Out seems like it fits. Alternatively, Barrage (how much will this fort throw at me?!). Fake out guarantees flinching but does as much damage as tackle and is only usable on the first turn. Barrage could do more damage, but it's randomized 2-5 hits and has no secondary effects. I'm leaning toward Barrage. Gonna work on my macaques instead I think.

Edit2: Hehe, Macookie (normal) -> Macake (normal/ice) -> Mafrosting (normal/ice). And punny as hell, too.

Edit3: Wow they really increased the number of moves that mons learn in later Gens...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:52:55 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2011, 09:50:14 am »

Oh gods that line is amazing. Hahaha.

Also, to edit the wiki you need a github account and for me to add you as a collaborator. So anyone who wants to be a collab, make sure to post your github account name here and I'll add you!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:51:57 am by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 166