Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's most important in a shield?  (Read 1777 times)

Confused111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's most important in a shield?
« on: December 01, 2011, 04:22:58 pm »

I'd heard it's quality of material, but I'd also heard it was based on the weight of the shield. I checked the wiki and it doesn't really provide any information on that matter. Can anyone help me out?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: What's most important in a shield?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:32:43 pm »

Shields have a seldom-used bashing attack, which as a blunt weapon deals damage based on weight. So for that, in theory, heavy materials like silver are ideal.

However, shields are more often used to block attacks, which can apparently be done with any shield by a sufficiently skilled dwarf, but has the same risks as armor-- silver armor, while shiny, is heavy and soft enough to be impractical. Most users will try to give their dwarves lightweight, strong shields made from things like steel or *coughing fit*, so their dwarves can move about quickly and defend well.

So I'd vouch for bronze or steel shields.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:36:18 pm »

or *coughing fit* shields... well, no, they would be impractical since you cant bash worth a bit with them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

PlainTextMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Babbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »

or *coughing fit* shields... well, no, they would be impractical since you cant bash worth a bit with them
Meh, I'd say that's kind of moot since you probably already have dwarves that are good at their weapons and don't really need the bonus of bashing a bit once you actually obtain proper *coughing fit*.

Besides that, I'm also quite curious as to what is in a shield. The simple dynamic of weight proportionate to bashing damage makes sense. But do shields definitely act the same way as armor when it comes to stopping power, and does the item quality play a role? Any more gurus to enlighten a bit?
Quote from: Loud Whispers link=topic=95349.0
5. You haz rage and you must punch things, but you haz no arms. Pray to ARMOK - Dwarf Mantra
This is an exceptional Post, well crafted with paragraphs and encrusted with attempted punctuation, bad non-native-English-speaker glitches. May exhibit great insight and/or stupidity.
Quote from: Aramco link=topic=81421.msg2149268#msg2149268
I hate English. It may be my first language, but I hate it. It doesn't make any sense.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:54:33 pm »

I was under the impression that the material involved in a shield is irrelevant, since shields (when they work) block attacks entirely rather than reducing damage in the same way armor does.  So the only thing material effects is damage when the shield is used as a weapon.  I'm not completely certain of this though.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »

AFAIK, the material is totally irrelevant in regard to the blocking ability of a shield. I have seen wood and leather ones do as good a job as steel or copper ones in that regard. The only reason I tend to use copper ones is for the odd bash attack enhancement. Of course, they are heavy and slow down a weaker dwarf, so for mobile marksdwarves go for lighter materials maybe.
This is a blank sig.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

My understanding is also that the only effect from a shield's material is the bashing attack, for which heavier is better. But the only time I ever recall seeing a dwarf do a shield bash is when his weapon arm/hand has been disabled so it's the only weapon he has. Since this is fairly rare (and the dwarf is probably going to die anyways at that point), I prefer going with wood shields because they weigh less and presumably cause less encumbrance.

But all of the above is just based on "common knowledge" picked up from the wiki and the forums, so it may well be 100% wrong. I've never seen evidence that any actual testing has been done.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 06:09:41 pm »

My melee dwarves definitely throw in the odd shield bash when fighting, the same as they'll throw in punches and kicks.

Dwarves do definitely seem to gain misc. object skill much slower than kicking/striking, though...I'm not sure whether that's because they use shield bashes less often than punches/kicks, or whether fighting with improvised weapons isn't something that dwarves teach each other or perhaps something they don't practice while sparring.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 06:20:03 pm »

There was a test some time ago, a Dwarf with a wooden shield didn't fair any better or worse than one with a steel shield against a dragon.
(Of course this will change in an update, in a land far far away...)

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 06:23:38 pm »

I wonder how a dwarf carrying two silver shields would do in combat.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:31:34 pm by Dewar »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »

In arena mode, a full set of copper armour on an unskilled peasant slows the dwarf down from 952 speed to 936 speed. I expect the same sort of speed reduction in fortress mode and have yet to see dwarves with no armour skill slowing to a crawl after putting on a full set of steel. Copper is only about 13% heavier than steel, so very few dwarves would display slowdown that's significant with copper but not with steel.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 06:27:33 pm »

In arena mode, a full set of copper armour on an unskilled peasant slows the dwarf down from 952 speed to 936 speed. I expect the same sort of speed reduction in fortress mode and have yet to see dwarves with no armour skill slowing to a crawl after putting on a full set of steel. Copper is only about 13% heavier than steel, so very few dwarves would display slowdown that's significant with copper but not with steel.

I have an idea... Have your dwarves train in copper... Fight in steel :D

[Pain to micromanage though]

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 06:41:10 pm »

I don't think dwarves would gain anything from wearing heavier armor while they train. They don't get any stronger by performing a hauling task, so far as I know, I'd expect that their armor is irrelevant, and what you want for dwarves to get them more military experience is for them to be sparring faster...which would mean lighter armor would be better for training...if it were even possible to train your dwarves and then switch their armor before battle (it would literally take months for them to swap out their gear).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 06:44:58 pm »

I don't think dwarves would gain anything from wearing heavier armor while they train. They don't get any stronger by performing a hauling task, so far as I know, I'd expect that their armor is irrelevant, and what you want for dwarves to get them more military experience is for them to be sparring faster...which would mean lighter armor would be better for training...if it were even possible to train your dwarves and then switch their armor before battle (it would literally take months for them to swap out their gear).

More laborious tasks do increase Dwarf physical stats, though the whole heavy armour training thing is just a guess :]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 06:47:00 pm »

I have an idea... Have your dwarves train in copper... Fight in steel :D

Not dwarfy enough.  Train all your dwarves with some level of armorsmithing.  Surround the metalsmithing workshops with lead bars.  When the inevitable strange moods occur, you'll get lead armor.  Train in that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2