Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with up stairs becoming up/down stairs  (Read 3125 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with up stairs becoming up/down stairs
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:20:03 pm »

Hi. It's been awhile since i played Dwarf Fortress. I recently got back into it.

Problem is, digging up stairs seems to not function properly.
When i dig a room with up stairs beneath a room where up stairs had been dug before, then the up stairs of the room ontop become up/down stairs.
So, to visualize it:

When Z level 1 is
Code: [Select]
<<<
<x<
<<<

and Z level 0 is been designated to be dug as
<<<
<x<
<<<

Then Z level 1 will change into
xxx
xxx
xxx
which is crap ofcourse (since you loose the natural floor after removing the up stairs).

Why is this a problem (instead of just not designating up stairs to be dug where up stairs are not needed) you might ask. Well, early on i designate rooms to be dug with up stairs for the extra xp my miner receives when removing the up stairs.
My question is whether this is intentional and if so for what reason. I ask because strangely enough i've seen nobody mention it, not as a bug nor in general, and i don't want to post a "bug" which is a "feature" instead.

Edit: rectifying a mistake i made.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:34:29 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with up stairs becoming up/down stairs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »

I can't recreate what you are describing, what version are you playing?  When are the stairs becoming up-down, are they being dug that way, or do they change after you do something else?

Do you perhaps mean an up-down stairs turning into down stairs when you remove them?  That is the only time a stair should change like that.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:23:56 pm »

I'm using the latest version (lazynewbpack one).

Try to dig the example i used in the first post. But first dig level 0 before you dig level 1. I hope it's not just me.

And no, i mean up stairs (on level 1) will be dug as up/down stairs when directly beneath them (on level 0) are up stairs.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 05:18:10 pm »

Double post as i made a mistake.

I'm sorry but, weirdly enough it's the other way around. First dig out level 1, then when digging level 0 the ALREADY DUG up stairs magically become up/down stairs.
This makes even less sense.
I made some pics to clarify.

Z level 1:

Z level 0:

Now let's see what happens when we continue digging.

Z level 1:

Z level 0:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:20:50 pm by Doppel »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:43:46 pm »

I've seen it before. I assume it was intended; it's kind of a strange thing to happen unintentionally, after all. Also, if you designate an up stair to be dug into a down stair, it instead turns into an up/down stair. It's not really that strange, though... You've got a staircase, and you're telling your people to make more stairs beneath it that lead upwards. Why doesn't it make sense for them to just extend the existing staircase instead of having stairs that go up into a floor below more stairs? You're doing wonky things, but the game's treatment of what you're doing would be completely logical.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »

I agree, it must be deliberate to help out people who screw up their stair designations. After all, it makes no sense to dig out up stairs if they aren't going to connect to anything.

If you called a carpenter and asked them to install a set of up-stairs, they'd cut a hole in the floor at the top of them for you to get through as well. (I don't think dwarves usually do, but it strikes me as more of an annoyance.)

While it doesn't seem like a huge exploit, doubling the exp your miners get by mining out stairs and removing them is definitely not a deliberate feature.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:54:35 pm »

I agree that maybe i'm doing wonky things, however it isn't exactly right to say this is (supposed to be) "intentional" as first digging the lower level will not magically make the upper level create up/down stairs when digging up stairs. So then, why would the order make a difference?  Also, this is the first time i actually encountered this problem, so it's got to be something new(er). I think it's more of a unintentional bug that happens to somewhat make sense.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:57:29 pm by Doppel »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 07:59:43 pm »

It isn't particularly new; the case where I remember noticing it was at least a year ago, and I believe that it was probably done in 40d, so closer to 2 years ago. Besides that, your objection is somewhat disingenuous. If you're digging out the whole staircase at the same time, you wouldn't designate up stairs below up stairs unless you wanted up stairs below up stairs, but if the top stairs already existed, the logical reason for making up stairs below them would be to extend the staircase.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:03 pm »

I'm not "objecting it", i'm simply pointing out a discrepancy i wasn't aware of (neither ever encountered a year and more ago). Nomatter whether the logic is that up stairs become up down stairs when there are up stairs beneath it, then the "bug" lies in the fact that they do not if first digging the up stairs beneath it.
Further following that logic another "bug" (or missing feature) would then be that digging up stairs does not reveal the tile above it in the same way digging down stairs reveals the tile beneath it.
I'd actually prefer it that way really, i just wish i knew about it earlier. :)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:17 pm »

Doppel making a double post?

Sorry if I found that funny :P
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 11:46:26 pm »

Oh, I see now.  This is just me talking, but I think that would be intentional behavior.  If you had a staircase shaft and suddenly wished to extend it downwards, it will turn the up stairs at the very bottom into up-down to connect it to the new part of the shaft.  This also works if you built up-downs below the up stairs as well.  Since you can't designate an up-down stair on an existing up stair, this allows you to continue your stairways building a constructed up-down in the place of the up stair.

If you are extending the staircase upwards, you can already just dig the extending stairs into the above level from the top of the stairs.  So if you designated up stairs there, it can be taken for granted that you wanted up stairs in particular, and not down or up-down to extend the staircase shaft.  Or at least I think that is why the order you make the stairs matters.

I also found that building constructions on top of stairs will effectively remove the stairs, leaving the appropriate floor if the construction is removed.  In which case, up-down stairs have an implied down stair when they get removed.

Interestingly enough, it is possible to move down through the natural floors without piercing them.  Constructed down and up-down stairs permit access to the level below them, even if they are built on solid floor.  You can't reveal what is below in this manner, but if you later remove the construction, the natural floor beneath them remains intact (potentially sealing off anyone below).  Which kind of makes me wonder if falling dwarves could be stopped by the floors between constructed stairs, eliminating the need for hatches?