Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding Kennels  (Read 548 times)

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regarding Kennels
« on: December 01, 2011, 02:17:21 pm »

Hey. In my latest embark i broght just normal dogs and an animal taimer. now i order him to train a wardog but he says there are no dogs availiable. i thoght the problem might be that the dogs arent in cages. so i decide to try to cage them but i dont know how. the wiki says i should be able to select the cage with q and then assign a resident. but the menu doesnt come up for me. Could any of you great dorf cheaftains please enlighten me :D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Regarding Kennels
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:18:52 pm »

The dogs need to be not in cages or on chains to be trained.  They need to be either wandering loose, or in a pasture that the kennel is also in.

In order to assign creatures to a cage, the cage must be built.  Use the Build menu, select Cage, pick a location, and then select the cage you want to build there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:35:55 pm »

thanks buddy. they were in a pasture. but not in the same room

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 02:45:49 pm »

:) now that is solved. How can i assign those trained dogs to dwarfs likely to be military i cant seem to be able to "google" it on the wiki

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 02:56:51 pm »

A dog can be assigned via v►p►e.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 03:06:32 pm »

Allright thanks. now the last question and i think i finish my spamming. how do i see every creature on my map in a list. i rememeber some time ago i could. but now im finding dog corpses and i have not the slightest idea what killed them. i know its not the butcher dorf thogh :D

PlainTextMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Babbler
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Kennels (and the UI)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

Glad we could help a new player.

Press the U key for a list of creatures (that's the general DF term for 'living things') in your fort area. Take note that this list can become extremely long as a fort ages, as deceased creatures still also remain on this list, but are moved to the bottom part of it and marked as deceased. A slight annoyance is that this list doesn't support zooming the view to a selected creature's (corpse) location if that creature is deceased. (of course, corpses tend to get into bits and pieces scattered all over the place)

Another thing that should help you a lot is the anouncement screen (press A), if you don't know of it yet. A message in bright pink/magenta should be in there announcing the death of your dogs. Since the latest few versions, you can select an announcement and press Z to zoom to its location of origin. That should help you figure out where and when the dogs died.

Lastly, a huge help is the combat announcements screen (I think that's its name). Press R to view detailed accounts of recent voilent festivities in and around the fort. A red C or somesuch character should show up on the screen frame on the left edge, almost at the top, whenever there are new combat announcements. This should help you figure out exactly what killded your mutts, if it was a wild/hostile creature or a violent fall down a shaft that killed them (though the latter is usually very unlikely).

Now btw, being someone quite lazy who has got to know the vanilla interface quite well (it's all I play with, and it works for me), I wouldn't exactly know the answer to this, so I have to wonder out loud whether there isn't a convenient single place where nubbies can go and learn the interface basics.

And heck, where useful things to know are made obvious, like the fact that you can change Z-levels with Ctrl+5 and Shift+5 (that saves me a lot of arm motion as opposed to using < and >).
Quote from: Loud Whispers link=topic=95349.0
5. You haz rage and you must punch things, but you haz no arms. Pray to ARMOK - Dwarf Mantra
This is an exceptional Post, well crafted with paragraphs and encrusted with attempted punctuation, bad non-native-English-speaker glitches. May exhibit great insight and/or stupidity.
Quote from: Aramco link=topic=81421.msg2149268#msg2149268
I hate English. It may be my first language, but I hate it. It doesn't make any sense.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:35:58 pm »

The dogs need to be not in cages or on chains to be trained.  They need to be either wandering loose, or in a pasture that the kennel is also in.

So that explains why I can never train anything except dogs as a war animal since the latest animal changes. I thought maybe most things were moved to the dungeon master and I couldn't be bothered to check. I usually assign all my animals to pastures except dogs so they don't kill/get killed by each other/dwarves if they require grass.

Now I guess animals will have to be screened for possible war training before joining the one of the Animal Guard's sentry and early warning positions.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 12:05:47 am »

i am actualy playing with a mod that mods every animal trainable with a dungeon master to be trainable by a animal taimer becuse from what i gather the dungeon master is still bugged and wont spawn and if he does he doesnt work properly. but i havent caged anything intresting yet so i havent put it to the test.