20-29
- 28 (24.1%)
15-19
- 18 (15.5%)
14 or even less
- 18 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Poll: What is the minimum FPS you find acceptable  (Read 2876 times)

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: What is the minimum FPS you find acceptable
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »

I dont like having big forts, but at the same time i love big seiges. My fps is usually about 10 on my laptop in a 200+ dwarf fort.

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:16 pm »

I learnt the game on a crappy laptop and managed to tolerate single digits... then I got a real computer and I start getting antsy if it falls below 20.
Why is this covered in blood?

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:44 pm »

I mandate 60 FPS or more.

Wolfey, that line under your avatar pic...what can i say? I have no words to define just how hilariously perfect that is. You sir have made my day, i'll be chuckling inappropriately all through lecture

I got the idea after I saw one of my dwarves sad that he lost a pet and friend, but he was still perfectly cheerful due to admiring a fine door and fine statue lately. He also had a nice roast.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 10:03:02 pm »

On my workstation (freelance graphic designer, animator, industrial designer, computer engineering...), when tuned for DF (shutdown the cores on a i7 to only two, then can overclock it a lot due to two cores generating heat instead of six), I can push 90 FPS on a 350 dwarf fort. I can't really give you a lowest tolerable number since dwarf/profession management gets intolerable a lot faster than FPS does.

On my i7 macbook pro my forts start crawling to 15-25 around 170-180-ish range. so I keep my laptop's install init at 150 dwarves.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 09:58:59 am »

when tuned for DF (shutdown the cores on a i7 to only two, then can overclock it a lot due to two cores generating heat instead of six), I can push 90 FPS on a 350 dwarf fort.
Damn, I wish I could play like that one day. Currently, 30-40 or 40-50 fps with around 100 dwarves is more than agreeable, but in my current fort I have to endure 10-20's. That's not much of playing at those fps, I just give them orders via manager and quickfort and leave to prepare new blueprints or browse internets.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »

I find that, as long as I have FPS off, I can play at just about any speed. I tend to pause a lot to plan stuff, so I'm guessing that, as the game runs slower, I just subconsciously pause less to compensate. I do start getting antsy if it runs too low, however.

Of course, all that changes if I turn on the FPS display. I suddenly become an obsessive-compulsive monster determined to stop the unstoppable advancement of FPS loss through any means necessary.

:D: Gentlemen, our FPS just dipped below 60 for an entire half-second. Incinerate every kitten.

:( :( :(: But we don't have any kittens left to incinerate, O unseen puppetmaster!

:D: Then we must incinerate the infants and peasants.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 02:17:53 pm »

Bootrazors these days tends to chug along between 30 and 40 FPS. It's annoying, but tolerable.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 04:45:43 pm »

At worst 30 in standard operation. Usually I can hover over at 40-50 for a developed fort, this of course plummets as I get a surge in pathing calculations or some such.

With a population cap of 107, temperature turned off, and keeping unnecessary pathfinding to a minimum, in addition to simply deleting all the useless loincloths and whatnots left by goblin sieges, I can maintain a fairly steady level of FPS for at least seven in-game years (my longest to date).

With no actions taken to maintain FPS, I lost one fort by year three due to FPS death, having only breached the first cavern.

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 07:18:41 pm »

I have my FPS capped at 100, and it only ever drops to 90 when I have 10-15 years worth of dead stuff, clutter, and 130+ dwarves running around, but on my old computer I STARTED a fort at 40 FPS and it dropped swiftly from there.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 08:57:05 pm »

I haven't dipped below 40 FPS yet, however I haven't breached the caverns yet (do all maps have a 1st level cavern?)
I guess half of this could be bearable, so I voted 20 FPS.

If framerate it gets on my nerves, I'll just use my smashy pasture more ...

Achitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 09:40:54 pm »

With a decent rig, I'm capped at 100 fps and can usually stay there until population reaches triple digits and theres blood, vomit, and socks everywhere, then it steadily drops and when it reaches 50 I get annoyed, and looking at all the people here that are content with 10-30 fps with a small fort, I feel like a spoiled jerk. :(
Pages: 1 [2]