Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Sea Ore/bar stockpiles don't work?  (Read 2252 times)

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Sea Ore/bar stockpiles don't work?
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:01:52 am »

Argh this this driving me nuts (and driving the expected smithing efficiency to hell), I have a ton of metal ores from mining and also lots of metal bars from trading, but the stockpiles I make at the magma sea layer (~ -5 ) don't cause anyone to start transporting the ores and bars when I force those options in the stockpile options (and disable those options in the upper level main stone stockpile). Does anyone have a solution to this?

Right now my dwarfs have to run about 100 levels up and down every time they smelt an ore / make a weapon or armor, it's ridiculous.

Thanks and thanks!

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Sea Ore/bar stockpiles don't work?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:29:52 am »

Are there rocks left on the floor? You can store bins and barrels on the same square as a rock, but not "unwrapped objects" such as cages and ore.
(H)idden rocks have been the bane of some of my stockpiles (i.e. the "why don't my indoor custom animal stockpile work?" problem)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:16:34 pm »

I often run into this kind of a situation. I'll start out an embark with a catchall stockpile that takes almost everything, and as I get more specific stockpiles set up, I'll disable those items in the catchall, but the items often don't get moved out of it to the new stockpiles. It usually seems to be items in bins that don't get moved. Try dumping and reclaiming the items and/or the bins and see if that gets them moved.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 03:08:51 pm »

Are there rocks left on the floor? You can store bins and barrels on the same square as a rock, but not "unwrapped objects" such as cages and ore.
(H)idden rocks have been the bane of some of my stockpiles (i.e. the "why don't my indoor custom animal stockpile work?" problem)

No, I made sure to dump all the misc stones from the new stockpile before specifying the stockpile.

@khearn,

I'll try that method, hopefully it works.

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 03:45:12 pm »

Nope, dumping the gold nuggets then reclaiming them doesn't work for me. Now the nuggets just sit in the garbage spot even after I removed the garbage area designation...

Huh.

Maybe it's because the stockpile I designated for gold ore is too far? It's at -5 height level maybe the dwarfs can't pathfind that far?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 03:47:47 pm »

It shouldn't matter.  I have an ore stockpile next to my magma forges just above the magma sea, and dwarves happily bring ore to it from any level on the map.  Make sure you didn't disable hauling of stone in the orders menu.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:06:58 pm »

Yeah, accidentally disabling stone hauling would be one cause, also is it possible that the pathing between the stockpile and the rest of the fortress/accessible area is broken somehow?

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 05:01:03 pm »

It shouldn't matter.  I have an ore stockpile next to my magma forges just above the magma sea, and dwarves happily bring ore to it from any level on the map.  Make sure you didn't disable hauling of stone in the orders menu.
"Dwarves gather minerals" is on in order, it always has been.

Yeah, accidentally disabling stone hauling would be one cause, also is it possible that the pathing between the stockpile and the rest of the fortress/accessible area is broken somehow?
I've had the magma forges area running for a year now with lots of weapons/bars/glass stuff made, so it should be accessible for all, but still, no one is bringing the intended stuff for the stockpile down at this level.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 08:35:00 pm »

The reliable ways are to either use the "take" option on the receiving stockpile which is highly effective (although annoying to set unless there's a faster way than manually scrolling to the source stockpile), or remove the old stockpile.

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 08:50:21 pm »

The reliable ways are to either use the "take" option on the receiving stockpile which is highly effective (although annoying to set unless there's a faster way than manually scrolling to the source stockpile), or remove the old stockpile.

I've tried both of these already, and neither worked. It seems as though my dwarves don't even recognize the magma level stockpiles or something (although if i specify X number of barrels/bins they bring those down onto these stockpiles).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:04:31 pm »

No, I made sure to dump all the misc stones from the new stockpile before specifying the stockpile.
Just to be on the safe side, check it again - the behavior you're describing (stuff won't get stockpiled there, but empty bins/barrels will get hauled into place) is consistent with it being filled with hidden items.

Alternatively, make sure you don't have any other large blocked-off stockpiles expecting to be filled with items (e.g. an empty ore stockpile in your quarry, such that the entrance to your quarry is sealed).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 09:18:10 pm »

Set up hotkeys so you can move quickly around your fortress. Move to a location, let's say your depot, then hit 'h' to enter the hotkey menu. Then hit the F-key you want, I usually use F2 for my depot. That will highlight the F2 line. Now it 'z' to tell the game to zoom there when you hit F2. Now hit 'n' to name it and type something like "Depot" and hit enter. Then hit esc. Now when you hit F2, you will instantly go to your depot. Set up keys for various parts of your fort and it makes setting up takes much easier, not to mention lots of other things.

I typically have:
  • entrance
  • depot
  • kitchens
  • dining hall
  • bedrooms
  • shops
  • magma forges

(Apologies if I got a detail or two wrong in the above explanation, I'm in the middle of genning a new world so I couldn't confirm everything.)

To the OP: It sounds like everything should be working. I'm sure you've checked this, but double (or triple) check your magma-level stockpile to be sure it is really set up to take the correct things. Stones should be pretty straighforward, but for somethings like finished goods, it's easy to turn off everything by hitting 'b' and then turn on a=one item (like mechanisms) and not realize that you've also turned off all quality levels, so nothing ends up going there. Like I said, stones and bars don't tend to have that kind of gotchas, but still take another look to be certain.

Another option is to try making a stockpile halfway down and see if that will work. if it does, try one farther down. if not, try one farther up. Eventually you'll find someplace that works and then work closer and closer to the magma level until it quits working. then look at what is in between those two.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:24:14 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 09:45:56 pm »

Set up hotkeys so you can move quickly around your fortress. Move to a location, let's say your depot, then hit 'h' to enter the hotkey menu. Then hit the F-key you want, I usually use F2 for my depot. That will highlight the F2 line. Now it 'z' to tell the game to zoom there when you hit F2. Now hit 'n' to name it and type something like "Depot" and hit enter. Then hit esc. Now when you hit F2, you will instantly go to your depot. Set up keys for various parts of your fort and it makes setting up takes much easier, not to mention lots of other things.

I typically have:
  • entrance
  • depot
  • kitchens
  • dining hall
  • bedrooms
  • shops
  • magma forges

(Apologies if I got a detail or two wrong in the above explanation, I'm in the middle of genning a new world so I couldn't confirm everything.)

To the OP: It sounds like everything should be working. I'm sure you've checked this, but double (or triple) check your magma-level stockpile to be sure it is really set up to take the correct things. Stones should be pretty straighforward, but for somethings like finished goods, it's easy to turn off everything by hitting 'b' and then turn on a=one item (like mechanisms) and not realize that you've also turned off all quality levels, so nothing ends up going there. Like I said, stones and bars don't tend to have that kind of gotchas, but still take another look to be certain.

Another option is to try making a stockpile halfway down and see if that will work. if it does, try one farther down. if not, try one farther up. Eventually you'll find someplace that works and then work closer and closer to the magma level until it quits working. then look at what is in between those two.

Aha thanks for that method; I got the stockpile to work even at one level above the forge level, so I fooled around and it turns out that DOORS (that I placed between up/down stairway and the stockpile / forge area to prevent accidental lava catastrophe) actually prevented stockpile depositing!