Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is gonna sound a bit "special"  (Read 1152 times)

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This is gonna sound a bit "special"
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:53:34 am »

Hey guys ive been watching this forum and playing the game a bit on and off. but there is one option that compleatly illudes me.  Every time i get tired i want to exit the game but i cant the Abandon selection in the menu wont work when i hit enter so most of the time i have to shut the came down throgh task manager wich ends up corrupting my world safe.   ::) Could you please enlighten me :D Also. the ongly thing i find wrong with the game is the bugs regarding exotic pets it would be on my christmas list if toady was santa. otherwise Amazing.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: This is gonna sound a bit "special"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:58:52 am »

Keep in mind, when you abandon, the screen will hang there for a while until it's done unloading everything. Don't be so quick to close it via Task Manager.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:01:18 am »

thanks buddy. that might be it.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 06:12:18 am »

Abandoning deletes the save remember. You do know right?

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 06:20:33 am »

You cannot simply "leave the game" in Dwarf Fortress. You can :

- Save the game : You then quit automatically.
- Abandon the fortress : You destroy your fort and then save the world. Your saved game is erased. You have to start from scratch (or you can go visit your old fort as an adventurer, or use "reclaim" to send another expedition to settle the ruins again).

If you want to leave the game without saving, you have to use the task manager. It can't be done normally.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:23:02 am by kardwill »

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:08:37 am »

My task manager and save folder are both open at all times while playing DF. It's not a big deal to shut down the game by killing the process. The only reason to ever actually "Abandon" is if you intend to keep using that world.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:10:02 am »

Yes, there is no "Exit Game" option - you either "Save" or "Abandon."  And it can take some time to do either, especially on a slower computer.  Give it 30-60 seconds and see if it completes.  If it hasn't gone back to the main menu by then, it's some kind of bug or you have something set up funny.

You can edit the raws to replace the [PET_EXOTIC] tags with [PET] and it will make all those strange creatures trainable.  I'm pretty sure there are some scripts lying around somewhere that will do this for you.  It might be an option to turn it on and off in the Lazy Newb Pack as well.  (I'm on Mac and as far as I know the LNP is Windows-only, so I don't actually use it.)
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 11:51:21 am »

You can edit the raws to replace the [PET_EXOTIC] tags with [PET] and it will make all those strange creatures trainable.  I'm pretty sure there are some scripts lying around somewhere that will do this for you.

NoExotic

Works perfectly with 31.25.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 04:22:22 pm »

If you mean through the main menu you have to scroll down to "quit". Not exactly sure what you mean, but you said you have to use abandon fort but can't?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 05:42:23 pm »

If you mean through the main menu you have to scroll down to "quit". Not exactly sure what you mean, but you said you have to use abandon fort but can't?

He's probably been trying to exit the game with the (ESC) function and the (ABORT_GAME) function, which only works in the menu select screen.