Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dropped yet another fort due to migrants!GAHH!!  (Read 1556 times)

h45hc0d3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dropped yet another fort due to migrants!GAHH!!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 01:41:38 pm »

Took me a long time to adjust to getting more migrants. Now I slap masonry and farming on every single useless one, tell them to make a large castle, and be done with it. Also making rooms for many dwarves is pretty simple actually, just hollow them out, door, bed, container and cabinet. I also throw a statue in and they are happy.

Actually, only cabinets are used by commoners at present, containers are for non-clothing stuff which they won't buy without economy. You're better off with 2 cabinets.

In my fort, containers are usually worth more than cabinets: I have the clothier turning out bags and decorations in lockstep, so most of my bags are exceptional or masterwork with an additional exceptional or masterwork decoration, and the more valuable a container is the happier the owner is to have it. As a bonus, I've been learning that the clothing industry produces huge returns over and above just stonecrafting tons of mugs. My stonecrafters might soon be relegated to just producing jugs, pots, nests, and other components to help the food and clothing industry, because I seem to be generating more wealth that way. I mean: a legendary dyer and a legendary clothier are giving me finished goods bins routinely worth 3500+, and the max for a bin of undecorated mugs is 2400+bin cost - that means it's more efficient even in terms of haulers bringing goods to the Depot.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 02:37:48 pm »

Booze DOES have quality levels but they're hidden.  The booze gains no craftdwarfship rating and no increase in wealth but it does hugely affect how much happiness a dwarf gets from consuming it!

What are you basing this on? If you have actual data to back up your claim, it would be very interesting to see it. You DO seem rather certain of your information after all.

There has been a rumor to that effect for a long time, but a couple of people have done science recently and found no difference between booze made by dabblers and booze made by legendaries. Plus, Quietust has said that he's examined the data structures and there is no place in the booze object to record quality.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

h45hc0d3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 03:18:22 pm »

Booze DOES have quality levels but they're hidden.  The booze gains no craftdwarfship rating and no increase in wealth but it does hugely affect how much happiness a dwarf gets from consuming it!

What are you basing this on? If you have actual data to back up your claim, it would be very interesting to see it. You DO seem rather certain of your information after all.

There has been a rumor to that effect for a long time, but a couple of people have done science recently and found no difference between booze made by dabblers and booze made by legendaries. Plus, Quietust has said that he's examined the data structures and there is no place in the booze object to record quality.

In dwarf's thoughts and preferences, I've seen drinks recorded as "pretty decent," "fine," "wonderful," and "Truly decadent." Those things seem to denote quality to me... I always thought it was related to the quality marks around the barrel/pot storing the drink, like with prepared food.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »

Drinks do not have hidden quality levels.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95405.0

The different levels of good thoughts that dwarves get from drinking booze they like appear to be mostly random, although the value multiplier of that type of booze may have an effect.  The only thing that the skill of the brewer effects is the time it takes to brew.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »

I recall science being done to disprove this. Dwarves get happy thoughts from drinking booze of a kind listed in their personal preferences, but who prepared the booze doesn't matter. You could get a couple of total noobs brewing dwarven wine forever, and a dorf who likes dwarven wine will still consider it a "truly decadent" drink.

h45hc0d3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 05:08:55 pm »

Drinks do not have hidden quality levels.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95405.0

The different levels of good thoughts that dwarves get from drinking booze they like appear to be mostly random, although the value multiplier of that type of booze may have an effect.  The only thing that the skill of the brewer effects is the time it takes to brew.

After examining the preferences of a variety of dwarves in my fort, and the relative happiness of their thoughts vs. their preferences and the types of booze I've been producing, I think you and the poster after you are both right.

It appears that higher value booze is considered better, and so is preferred booze. If the preferred booze is also the expensive booze, then the happy thought is just bigger.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 09:34:08 pm »

If you have more migrants than jobs, assign hordes of them to tasks like wood burning and furnace operating, anything where skill doesn't affect the final product's quality. if you still have too many, give them all masonry and start building something huge.

Don't let any migrants work on your farms unless they have high grower skill, unskilled growers will cause crops to produce less. Brewing however, can be done by a team of unskilled workers, as booze never has a quality level.

EDIT: Just finished reading page two, looking at that !!science!! thread now.
EDIT2: Read it, still I seem to notice more legendary drinks with a legendary brewer, though that doesn't mean they are wrong as I probably haven't looked as hard as the OP did in that thread.

I inevitably end up running a No Job party fortress to my chagrin, which probably explains more migrants after the carnage that has usually transpired in the past. (Though that's just the way I like to think it works)

One thing about migrants is that they arrive with hauling labors enabled, so generally the party begins or it's interrupted by mass designating a room of rocks to be dumped in the stoneworking room near the workshops. I tend to use designate instead of using stockpiles in this instance because all the idlers with hauling enabled will grab a stone and take it to the dump spot in the stoneworking room without pausing for a full stockpile.

I tend to counter not having a job for all the dwarves by setting max population low in the init, though sometimes that means not enough dwarves, and it's a long wait till more have grown up. However I think you can change the max population in the init at will for more migrants after reloading, though I may be wrong as I usually wait for attrition to cause a gigantic migrant wave once it's below the threshold. Sometimes I end up one death away and with things everywhere calling desperately for a dwarf to haul them, and then some happy dwarf family has twins or something.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:47:49 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 09:59:40 pm »

Booze has a hidden quality level that is only apparent after a dwarf drinks it and the "has had a wonderful drink lately". This is because sometimes they will show more than one happy thought, for example the above in addition to "has had a good drink lately" or something along those lines.

As demonstrated in the linked thread, booze does not have a hidden quality level.  The variability in thoughts from drinking booze is random.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sunkwell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:09 am »

This booze business = brainsplosion   I always spent so much on a decent brewer for nothing...
on another note, tried controlling my wealth and hit a 260+ gold vein, quadrupling it.  x.x
He took joy in slaughter lately.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 03:20:28 pm »

That same booze science thread proved that dwarves don't go off alcohol from "drinking the same old booze" any more. So you can literally run a fort on nothing but dwarven wine and only ever have to deal with peeved thoughts from "drinking the same old booze".

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 04:08:10 pm »

So those quality levels I see when selling my booze to the traders are actually the quality of the barrel holding the booze? Or does quality exist only for dwarf bucks value but dwarves don't really notice the difference in terms of happy thoughts?

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 04:20:38 pm »

Yes, just like the quality modifies on a pot of prepared food indicate the quality of the pot, and not the food within.  A "normal" quality pot may contain masterwork meals and vice versa.

Selling booze, though...that just seems unnatural.   :D
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 06:12:53 pm »

Tell me about it...The profit sucks.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 01:55:23 am »

note that a barrel or pot can only hold about 10 or so units of prepared meals. While this is semi-efficient in halving storage space needed for it, the real money grabbers are the *turkey hen egg roast (39)*, with the plus being that you dont lose the barrel. Lately, i dont store prepared meals in barrels anymore, i need them for booze
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 01:59:53 am »

I usually sell potted booze to clean up space for more pots, liquor and excess stone. Its a vicious cycle of an over productive workforce
Pages: 1 [2]