Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do you need to be sane to conduct terrorism?  (Read 1895 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you need to be sane to conduct terrorism?
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:33:20 pm »

Anders Behring Breivik, the Norway shooter, was found to be insane.

This...troubled me. The Norway shooter was an example of Lone Wolf terrorism at the finest; he conducted a car bomb as a distraction for his main attack, killed more people than the Unabomber in a shorter period of time, and got his message across. But, in my previous research on terrorism, I excluded acts by entities deemed to be "insane". So if I stick with my original qualification that you have to be sane to conduct terrorism, Breivik wouldn't be a terrorist. But...I feel uncomfortable with this designation...and it seems to be a slap on the face for this man's "efforts".

Terrorism is defined in the GTD as
an intentional act of violence or threat of violence by a non-state actor that meets two of the following three criteria:

*The violent act was aimed at attaining a political, economic, religious, or social goal;
*The violent act included evidence of an intention to coerce, intimidate, or convey some other message to a larger audience (or audiences) other than the immediate victims; and
*The violent act was outside the precepts of International Humanitarian Law.

Nothing in this definition implies that the non-state actor has to be sane at the time of attack, and in fact, the GTD included one attack by Russell Watson who was later found insane. But I always felt that if you were insane, you weren't control of your actions, and that therefore means you couldn't do terrorism (so I excluded Russell Watson).

Since I'm torn as how to interpret the Norway shooting in light of Breivik's newfound insanity defense, I might as well ask the Bay12 community whether sanity is a necessary prerequisite to conducting terrorism or if it is not necessary at all. (A third option may be that as insanity is a legal concept, it could be disregarded as the government is not impartial when determining if someone is insane or not.)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Do you need to be sane to conduct terrorism?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:11:31 pm »

Depends on the disorder in question. Paranoid schitzophrenia doesn't keep you from planning, attempting to coerce through force, or any other terrorist objective. All it does (in this context) is change what you see as a threat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 08:11:10 pm »

Yeah, I think you would have to be specific as to which mental disorder is affecting the subject.

Consider the point of view that anyone who would kill many other people just to send a message is insane by definition. I for one don't consider terrorism to be a sane act.

The 9/11 attacks as an example, if Al'Queda had millions of followers, they would have a proper army, and be able to have a proper war, take control of land, etc. But they didn't have enough to form an army, so they just went for pointless destruction, like a child knocking over a game board when he's losing.

To me, 9/11 indicates the point at which the islamic extremists basically gave up on actually winning, and were just throwing a tantrum because they were sore losers. Not a rational act at all.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:14:51 pm »

Paranoid schitzophrenia doesn't keep you from planning
It might well do. Paranoid schitzophrenics aren't known for their mental acuity. Their thought processes tend to be rather disorganized.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:23:50 pm »

It might well do. Paranoid schitzophrenics aren't known for their mental acuity. Their thought processes tend to be rather disorganized.

Well, "Making Plans and Schemes" is one of the symptoms if I recall correctly... just not realistic/viable ones. (Think Wheatly in Portal 2)
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:27:22 pm »

To me, 9/11 indicates the point at which the islamic extremists basically gave up on actually winning, and were just throwing a tantrum because they were sore losers. Not a rational act at all.
Bin Laden's philosophy on war was that even small movements can bring superpowers to their knees by manipulating them into being mired in expensive progressless conflicts until they suffer internal collapse from bleeding all the money out of them. Good thing that didn't happe-

Oh. Wait.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:27:40 pm »

Erm, terrorism thrives on attention and reaction. It's essentially a violent protest. Now you can say violence is inherently an insane act, but protesting is not. This isn't flipping a game board; this is flipping the bird and going "nya nya nya" in order to get a reaction.

Al'Queda got a huge boost in membership and notoriety from the US's fearful reaction. What was originally a terrorist group no one but those who've studied middle eastern politics knew about is now a household name. Their methods seem to have worked quite well in the favor of spreading their message (and convincing locals of it), so except for the violence part I'd say they were acting far from irrationally.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 08:38:11 pm »

A psychopath has full control of their higher brain functions, they only lack the ability to feel emotion. If they knew they could get something out of it, they'd probably commit terrorism in a heart beat

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:45:38 pm »

A psychopath has full control of their higher brain functions, they only lack the ability to feel emotion.
*Empathy.

A psychopath can still be happy, sad, etc etc, they just don't feel those things about other people. They can also still logically come to the conclusion that needlessly harming people = bad, they just don't get the negative emotion from harming others.

Psychopath != complete monster.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:53:07 pm »

Oh, okay. I guess I learned something today

That still doesn't mean I want to be in the same room as one

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:05:39 pm »

Bin Laden's philosophy on war was that even small movements can bring superpowers to their knees by manipulating them into being mired in expensive progressless conflicts until they suffer internal collapse from bleeding all the money out of them. Good thing that didn't happe-

Oh. Wait.

Yeah, but how does that allow Al'Queda to win? it's just ruining it for everyone.
I'm getting cake.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 09:11:49 pm »

Ruining things for everyone else is pretty much Al-Qaeda's objective. They wouldn't be happy with any actual end goal other than Allah himself coming down and incinerating the nonbelievers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:20:15 pm »

Well, "Making Plans and Schemes" is one of the symptoms if I recall correctly... just not realistic/viable ones. (Think Wheatly in Portal 2)
I have family who suffer from that disorder, I can personally account (of course this isn't scientific, this is one person's view of one other person) that a non-medicated paranoid schizophrenic probably couldn't pull off an organized, complex attack of any kind.  Said family member is more likely to stare into space for hours at a time, sleep at odd hours, or throw a tantrum about how we don't believe his crazy delusions.  He used to be violent before we got him medicated, but even then the worst he did was throw things, punch, scratch, or bite.  Sure if he had access to a weapon he MIGHT have used one, but only in a random sort of way.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:38 pm »

Being a psychopath likely would not fly as an insanity defense. It's classified as a personality disorder (which is medical lingo for "being an ass"), and it wouldn't in principle affect personal responsability for a deed.

(Edit: I'm assuming you're referring to Antisocial Personality Disorder, which what usually people refer to when talking about psychopaths. Also and btw: they're not that organized either, and tend to end up badly due to poor impulse control)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:24:24 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 02:14:57 am »

Though I think most philosophies, if taken and applied to every situation to their full framework, tend to be very black and white and extreme. Their appeal lies in their logical consistancy. This is how basically normal people can feel justified in doing horrific things in the name of some political cause. Timothy McVeigh, The Unibomber, communist insurrectionists, islamic fundamentalists, anarchist rioters all have one thing in common, they take their ideological ideas and apply them in an absolute, uncompromising and extreme way. The end result of taking a philosophy to its logical extreme end is usually violence.

I think most lone wolf terrorists, spree shooters and the sort are basically not sane. They don't really have a coherant philosophy to back up their actions, at best they fixate on a single idea, like the Norway bomber did with immigration, and go with that. Although I wonder, because how well planned and effective his dispicable actions were, that he must have been thinking pretty clearly to pull it off. Most spree shooters and would-be mass murderers are caught before they act because they are often inept, disorganized and incredibly obviously dangerous and insane. This guy in Norway managed to keep conceal his intentions and his plans untill after the fact.
Pages: [1] 2 3