Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Share your Titan/Forgotten Beast devastation stories  (Read 9984 times)

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Share your Titan/Forgotten Beast devastation stories
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 09:50:35 pm »

A friend and I were doing a sort of succession game where we just switched the game between ourselves each year.  He embarked on a tundra with a volcano, but there was no water so he decided to dig down to the cavern layer, set up camp there and see what could be done.

There was an underground lake down there, which was good.  Some avoidance of GCS, walling up the little area...

Then came the first forbidden beast!  A giant 3 eyed t-rex that breathed fire.

Yeah.

That thing pretty much ended the fort eventually, after slaughtering an entire sparrowman village.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 12:34:24 am »

Had a fortress running for about 7 years, with everything going smoothly. There were about a dozen FBs running around in a cave I had blocked off so I finally decided to employ one of my patented FB traps. All was going well, everything was in place. So I go to dig the final hole to let the FBs in and the moment I do one of my dwarves darts into the cave. Two of her children mindlessly follow in after her. Too late I realized that I had left the auto-collect webs option on. I turned it off but the idiot dwarf had already made up her mind. The forgotten beasts wrath was swift and terrible.

What followed was a series of critical mistakes as I desperately tried to salvage my trap. In the end the FBs mercilessly swarmed into my fortress, slaughtering everything in their path.   :-\

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 03:54:35 am »

The worst I had was a giant tick. My military easily killed it in a few seconds.

But...they got it's blood on them. And started to rot. They went to the hospital, spreading the blood all the way. The rotting spread and spread, killing every last one of the hundred and some dwarves there as well as a final wave of immigrants and a crew I sent to reclaim the place. I basically had to write the site off as uninhabitable. This was my introduction to syndromes.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 05:39:23 am »

The first FB i remember running into was a giant man made of amber who my dwarfs couldnt kill, only knock his limbs off, i sent 20 or 30 steel clad dwarfs at him and he spewed stuff that rotted there whole bodys filling my fortress with miasma, my dwarfs couldnt even rescue most of them since the FB was still there trying to push stuff.

ST753M

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:02 am »

I used dfhack's reveal to plan a mineshaft that would let me open all 3 caverns through fortifications, so that I could view them for building purposes and get cave moss in my soil for my sheep.  My plan was to open them up fully once my trap corridor was complete and I had a few squads of migrants in my military. 

I got distracted by other things and didn't bother to open them for about five in-game years.  I got several announcements of "The Forgotten Beast has come!" but I'd ignored them, and then completely forgot that they were there.

I then opened up all 3 caverns with my agile legendary miner, and he returned up to the surface... followed by seven forgotten beasts, which had banded together to attack simultaneously.  Somehow, my soldiers managed to defeat them all with only minor casualties at first, but at least one of the beasts had a syndrome.  The remainder of my army exploded into clouds of miasma as their entire bodies rotted, and the fortress fell to a tantrum spiral as the syndrome spread.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 07:33:18 am »

Believe it or not, I never lost any fortresses to any kind of megabeast or semi-megabeast, but once a frost wyvern send my arm back to stone age.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 11:49:10 am »

One of my first forts eventually got an FB in the caverns, which was no problem since it was walled off, or so I thought. It hung around in the caverns for a year or two, and one day I noticed a huge cloud of purple miasma in my stockpile. (First time I had seen miasma.) To my horror, I saw another little dorf come into the room and explode into a giant purple cloud. Then another, and another, and so on.

I thought the caverns were completely walled off, but I probably did something like install a floor hatch to block the stairs and forgot to lock it, or left a diagonal Z-path open (if that's even possible.) I didn't know enough at the time to view reports etc. to try and figure out what happened.

Fast forward a year and I still fear FBs with deadly dust, and designing mist rooms and airlocks consumes way too much of my time.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 02:14:58 am »

left a diagonal Z-path open (if that's even possible.)

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible.  Haven't tested it personally, but I've read something to that effect.

I just got a vomit-man FB in my fort.  My military consists of a squad of ten with axes and steel helmets, but against a vomit FB I think that will probably work out.  At least it doesn't have deadly dust or vapors.  Does have deadly spittle though, but I've never seen that actually even hit a dwarf much less do something damaging.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 02:50:30 am »

my first FB in the current fort was a giant toad with a shell that breathed fire, which i managed to lock somewhere and was used as target practice for the marksdwarfs untill i got bored and collapsed a floor on it. The next was a Gazelle made of steam, which died when it attacked a woodcutter, who defended himself, hit the lower body, and this being steam, cut it in half.

then there was a giant dragonfly with a poisonous stinger, but the stinger got cut off fairly early, so i guess i was lucky. Then a giant alligator with deadly dust managed to get into my magma source before i managed to seal it off. 15 out of 40 militia died trying to kill it. Before they managed to actually reach the stairs to get up, another 10 had died and a few more were dieing. the only ones who survived were the ones who had been sleeping or too slow to get to the fight. Luckily the fort is heavy with silver and brass decorations, so tantrumming was avoided as people were looking at statues of their loved ones slowly dieing
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 03:28:32 am »

well, i suppose this would be the topic to talk about my most recent, and best fort falling.

i happened to have this place running for 12 years at 20 fps with 200+ dwarves. hella stuff, dwarves with bling. pretty much everything. then, a forgotten beast came through the cavern. a slathering worm with deadly dust. he charged into my mines, attacking a small party of civilians eating at a stored food stockpile. Several explosions later, and a civilian miner destroying it with a pick, 6 dwarves died, and 4 were...blasted with this dust. I checked them, they seemed fine. The bodies were buried, and things were nice. Then, I noticed the dwarf that killed the beast was numb, and now paralyzed. The sickness had begun. When a victim touched anything with extract on it (which was oddly a lot of things....damn wells...), they would be stricken with varying degrees of nervous system rot, to partial numbness, to deadly respiratory system paralysis.

Through the wells and the horrible butchery my hospital had become, around 75 of the dwarves were exposed, and the rest were in danger. I, having been bored with the fort, chose to deploy a self-destruct mechanism. It was a simple act, the dwarven caravan had arrived, and I chose my awesome ass squad to kill them. I also began to release small reservoirs of magma, setting the natural vegetation in my fortress's main floor on fire. I locked the door on them all, let the fire burn, and the slaughter begin. It was easily the most fun I have ever had. Dwarves would run down the hall, drop two dwarves with kicks, then have his brains bashed out by a flaming dwarf with a silver scourge. Fire, smoke, dodging into my magma dodge-this trap, the sickness, dwarves started dying by the score.

It finally reached the point where there was about 20 dwarves left in the hospital, some the last carriers of the extract, mostly the doctors who worked almost the entire full half year this happened. Others injured in the battle. Only two militia remained, a Hammerdwarf named Lokum. She had 180+ notable kills, and had slaughtered around 60 dwarves in the chaos. The other, Bim, a Speardwarf, was the leader of the training squad, a skilled fighter but with no combat experience. He had been in the hospital for some face rot, and had not slaughtered any fellow dwarves. Beforehand, he was a well loved and kind dwarf, who had trained Lokum, and all of my other militia in his combat school. The last remaining doctor, before succumbing to the disease himself, managed to remove his rotten eyes, yet not destroy Bim's vision. Before the fires reached the hospital, Bim rose, and charged Lokum. She was caught off guard, and the two began to battle across my main factory floor, surrounded by fire and the bodies of their former countrydwarves. For the first time in almost a decade, Lokum's blood was drawn by the thrust of an candy spear. The two battled for almost 5 pages before Lokum began to retreat, while still blocking, to the upstairs exit, and my dodge-this magma trap. They fought, quite literally blow for blow for 2 pages of combat report before reaching the magma trap, and a sudden strike by Bim. This strike was just that x4 luck for masterpiece, and went through Lokum's heart. As a final gesture, before Lokum died, Bim charged her, and knocked her back, and over a fall, straight down to magma, where she died at the bottom of 5 z-levels of 7/7 magma.

Bim rested in the hallway, his injuries almost certainly fatal even with a team of doctors. He, however, had a front row seat to the entire fortress burning down, and the death of all but 5 dwarves, who were stumbling around, burnt horribly and bleeding, and eventually collapsed, 2 died of blood loss, 3 died of infection.

It was epic.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 06:24:01 am »

I had a titan appear on the map and ransack a bunch of corpses I had lying around. Suddenly I had a titan wearing bronze helmets as boxing gloves. There were few survivors.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 08:27:01 pm »

CURSE YOU GUYS SO MUCH

I didn't even have any FBs ever before I read this thread, but as soon as I go back to play some I immediately get assaulted by two in the space of a few days. As we speak my fortress is in my first ever tantrum spiral, and I'm scared because my three most experienced military dwarves are "Miserable"

UGH
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Ninjamestari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 08:44:22 pm »

The worst single attacker for me was a bronze colossus, but I didn't want to fight it so my cage traps captred him. I used him for training archers because it's much more effective than target practice and archers never killed him with wooden bolts. Second worst attacker was a Roc I think. He killed some three soldiers and ripped some limbs off before going down. So far goblins have caused me more trouble than any single beast.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 09:28:36 pm »

The worst single attacker for me was a bronze colossus, but I didn't want to fight it so my cage traps captred him. I used him for training archers because it's much more effective than target practice and archers never killed him with wooden bolts. Second worst attacker was a Roc I think. He killed some three soldiers and ripped some limbs off before going down. So far goblins have caused me more trouble than any single beast.

Gtfo

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 09:55:59 pm »

Goblins are such a joke, you just look at them and they die.

(In fact two of my lower level crossbowdwarves managed to solo a siege consisting of 25 goblins.  I have no idea how.)
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5