Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Share your Titan/Forgotten Beast devastation stories  (Read 9975 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Share your Titan/Forgotten Beast devastation stories
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2011, 07:35:05 pm »

...Can't only demons be made of flames?

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2011, 09:03:08 pm »

Wasn't a catastrophe, but just recently my Spear Lord (who was kind of the lamest guy in the militia, if you can believe it - 4 kills, while the average was 20 and the most was 50) had a duel with a forgotten beast - a big lizard with freezing extract - on a bridge I'd made to cross a lava lake and get at some candy in the middle. No, seriously. It ended with his head almost being ripped off until he stabbed it with steel spear. It dodged into the lava and he bled out soon after.

*ahem*

YOU CANNOT PASS!
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2011, 10:41:35 pm »

I had another forgotten beast which caused suffocation. I was building a big magma piston, and had realized I could build it bigger and have more fun if it breached the edges of the caverns. I had just pulled up from a near tantrum spiral caused by crundles causing useless immigrants to dodge to their deaths off the access stairways in the corners of the piston (I was right in that having the piston construction open to all the cavern life caused infinitely much more fun). I only pulled up from that tantrum spiral by hunting down all the crundles with my best axedorf, and plumbing an aquifer through the meeting hall causing a lovely waterfall. One of the junior soldiers was having a really unhappy time, and I remember him tantruming and attacking a legendary, with the legendary patiently blocking and parrying all his attacks until he calmed down (cool guy). On the whole things were looking up.

Then the forgotten beast which had been wandering around decided to come in. I rallied my militia and they quickly put it down, then every single one of them suffocated, except Ol' One Leg who was my most legendary military dwarf (maybe being a cripple provides immunity to syndromes ;)). Of course losing half a dozen legendary and beloved militia got the tantrum spiral spiraling again (Ol' One Leg was particularly unhappy at losing all his buddies, and at first I locked him up, then I decided if he needed to slaughter some random fish cleaner to feel better about himself it wasn't my place to stop him). While the fort descended into anarchy and the coffins filled I desperately tried to finish the magma piston (it helped that my chief miner had no friends and was pretty happy). Finally I filled the base of the piston up with magma, and my chief miner pulled the lever. Sadly, it was a dud, because some ramps I neglected to remove supported it. In a way it was a fitting end for a failed fortress, all the smiths who the magma was supposed to provide for were dead anyway.

But, suffocation syndromes are annoying, there's not even a slow, gruesome death. Just "hack, wheeze *can't breathe* dead". Need gasmasks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:43:10 pm by Nan »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2011, 12:09:11 am »

I dunno... I think suffocation/drowning would be pretty damn painful, considering how it feels to be out of breath or accidently inhale water or whatever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2011, 04:02:11 pm »

Wasn't a catastrophe, but just recently my Spear Lord (who was kind of the lamest guy in the militia, if you can believe it - 4 kills, while the average was 20 and the most was 50) had a duel with a forgotten beast - a big lizard with freezing extract - on a bridge I'd made to cross a lava lake and get at some candy in the middle. No, seriously. It ended with his head almost being ripped off until he stabbed it with steel spear. It dodged into the lava and he bled out soon after.

*ahem*

YOU CANNOT PASS!

Thing is, the Forgotten Beast would've taken no damage from the magma whatsoever. That Dwarf did all the work.

I dunno... I think suffocation/drowning would be pretty damn painful, considering how it feels to be out of breath or accidently inhale water or whatever.

Knowing this from experience, drowning isn't painful. That, or you know, you're too preoccupied with not drowning to notice any pain, whereas on land you would. It's like salt water, you feel pain if you get it in your eyes, but you don't if you're submerged in the stuff.

Now drowning in magma on the other hand...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]