Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Share your Titan/Forgotten Beast devastation stories  (Read 9977 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Share your Titan/Forgotten Beast devastation stories
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:45:02 am »

I'd like to hear instances where these two types of enemies caused considerable damage or outright wiped out a fortress. The generation process for them is....interesting. The wiki made me fear them, but the one's that have shown up thus far have been lackluster. A quadruped made of steam that died on the first hit, a mountain titan made of water that died almost as quickly, a few other forgotten beasts shaped like worms who fared a bit better due to expelling some sort of boiling extract, but still died quickly to my craptacular army. *note - my armies are always craptacular, i haven't yet mastered whatever tricks are necessary to get them to train very effectively, they take forever to raise their skills*

It seems like a ragtag mob with sharp objects is enough to bring down most single enemies the game throws at you, though i'm sure i'll see this isn't true if a bronze colossus or dragon shows up.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Share your Titan/Forgotten Beast devastation stories
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:04:49 pm »

Don't really think I can help here, most of my beasties seem to be a bit low on the threat scale, too. My first forgotten beast was Idash, a blob of snow with a tail, killed by resident olm people. Second one was a blob of vomit with three straight tails(Mothi, I think its name was), killed by a single bolt from marksdwarf so unskilled that he's actually considered a hammerdwarf. Third was something along the lines of a giant, slavering parrot, with patchy scarlet feathers, spindly antennae, and boiling extract.

After murdering most of the olm people(the bastard), he flew on toward the cavern stairway, which was now closed off, bit the head of a glazer, crushing his skull, messed with another guy until biting him to death as well, somehow killed my legendary bone carver child, despite there being no combat report of him being attacked, and took out two of my veteran soldiers with its extract before dying. Tragic, but not devastating.

As for titans, My fort went up against a sand titan recently. A towering three eyed thrips with a spiral shell and regal something or other. It busted down a floodgate and a door, and then managed to sting a stray tame honey badger before it was swarmed by the militia. I'm fairly sure the honey badger recovered not too long after.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:23:48 pm »

You've gotten weak ones, apparently. One of my first Forgotten Beasts put itself into a near-eternal state of combat with a one-legged reptile spearwoman, and the underwater battle lasted for over a year before the FB obtained some "reinforcements" and the spearwoman died - after killing the FB that came to reinforce. The first beast then went on a rampage through my fort - the three-eyed pelican was made of either rock or metal and almost impossible to kill. Old Adith wiped out my entire army (only 20, I'll admit), but finally died when I recruited nearly all of my civilians and threw them at the monster (half of which died). The deaths of so many military soldiers and civilians initiated a tantrum spiral which I wouldn't have managed to withstand, had it not been for a Captain of the Guard with a silver warhammer, lots of locked doors, and large batches of fresh migrants. Not a soul from the early years of my fort survived the whole ordeal.

Forgotten beasts can be deadly.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:29:52 pm »

I  had this flying forgotten beast that I though went off map, so I continued riskful cave explorations until I saw.
"urist cancels job: interrupted by forgotten beast".
I zoom, rage, quickly create a militia and kill it, sadly, I lost a legendary miner in the process.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:06:57 pm »

I  had this flying forgotten beast that I though went off map, so I continued riskful cave explorations until I saw.
"urist cancels job: interrupted by forgotten beast".
I zoom, rage, quickly create a militia and kill it, sadly, I lost a legendary miner in the process.

How devastating!

Kelenyche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:32:53 pm »

I had one with the poisonous blood thing going on...  Once it was killed, and my three legendary military dwarfs recovered from it, a patch of it got spread to the surface...  Anything without shoes, like kids, cats, dogs, and pretty much every other animal started dying.  When I checked it out, all of their feet were turning into exploding blood boils that were just spreading the disease more.  I think I eventually got it cleaned up, since it only affected bare skin, but I felt pretty awful for a while, when I was checking on kittens' statuses. (status'? statii?)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 03:39:22 pm »

Haha you're soft! I butcher most kittens as they are born.

On an unrelated note, i laughed when a dwarven child wandered outside and got his skull caved in by a goblin hammerman. "The goblin hammerman strikes the Urist McBaby in the head with his <Iron Warhammer>, crushing the skull and tearing the brain. Urist McBaby has been struck down.

This game is making me some kind of psychopath

But i digress, some good FB stories thus far, keep em comin

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:40:03 pm »

Long-Term vital organ necrosis from blood. I normally airlock & wash my soldiers after every fight, but this one snuck up through a diagonal z-level passage I didn't see - didn't kill a single dwarf but overflowed my hospital with patients...

until a while later when dwarves started having their livers eaten out.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:43:48 pm »

I once found a Forgotten Beast dimetron made of granite! Fear it's deadly dust!

This was perfect; I had just finished my 'Capture Forgotten Beast' plan and simply corralled it into the drop pit at the front of my base using pathing tricks and then locked it in. I have the Fortress Defence Mod, so whenever things dodge themselves into my pit, they do it by the dozen. And they're met by this invincible rape machine.

It was hilarious because deadly dust flings all enemies and the FB all over the place, but seeing as my FB was invincible it wasn't damaged by running into walls and whatnot. It looked like a constant fucking cyclone down there; bodies flying all over the place, bits shooting all over the place. It was glorious and bloody, like a dwarven washing machine.

Eventually a group of 4 Minotaurossi (or whatever they're called) whipmasters crushed its skull. I'm waiting for another FB... :(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:50:36 pm by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »

I haven't had much in the way of FB disasters, but three in my current fortress bear mentioning.

One was similar to Kelenyche above.  I don't know where it came from but all of a sudden kids, dogs, cats, anything with bare feet were suddenly bleeding out through their feet.  Not just sort of "walking along bleeding until they died."  No - they were dying within steps.  As in their feet must have been exploding.  Right after causing massive vomiting.  So here are all these kids projectile vomiting on their feet, which then explode, spreading the syndrome.  Fortunately some happy little dwarves with shoes must have come along and cleaned up because I only lost a dozen or so.

I had another FB show up not long after who attacked my guard dogs at the cavern entrance.  This guy had a vicious breath attack.  The dogs would die almost instantly from bleeding out.  It wasn't boiling extract, it was just a poisonous gas that caused severe, explosive bleeding from every part of the body, almost instantaneously.   Fortunately my military showed up and put an end to him without anyone getting hit themselves.

The most irritating FB floated around the caverns forever without attacking anything.  He had fire breath so I was worried when he initially showed up, but then he sat at the edge of the map forever.  I had been ignoring him for a couple of years before I started getting the "Interrupted by Forgotten Beast" messages from some haulers.  Zoomed to the caverns and he was standing by the up-ramps throwing fireballs everywhere.  Again my military took him out with no casualties, but not until he set a major portion of the caverns on fire first.

One of my older forts died from a FB with extract that caused a full-body rot that slowly spread itself through the whole fort.  I think it must have been on some of the animals, but even after slaughtering as many as I could, I was still getting batches of dwarves coming down with the deadly rot.  They'd go to the hospital, the surgeon would cut away all the rotting tissue and then they would suffocate and die soon after.  Pretty much the whole fort fell apart as everyone died.

Then there was the story of Atir Stigildegel and the forgotten beast in my sig, which is more an epic moment of awesome rather than a disaster.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:02:10 pm »

So here is Foldchannels, a quaint little town of 87 dwarves. After the unfortunate death of the original embark team woodcutter(died in fisticuffs with a cave-troll of some kind) there has been no tragedy for them. A few spooked citizens because of underground beasts lurking about on edges of the cliffs surrounding the shanty town areas, with no way down to rip and tear apart some poor jerk.

Anyway.

Thanks to the walls built around the shanty towns, most threats have been separated from the poorly defended and localized citizens. The one FB that showed up and had wings, arrived in the one part of the map where there wasn't any room for it to fly.

And then shows up a quadruped of steam, one fateful day.
Yeah, I know. Steam. Whoop de doop, those things go down in one or two punches, amirite guys?

Well anyway, it arrived behind one of the wall sections, just like all the others. A quick check showed me that it had no wings what-so-ever. Threat over!

I think you can figure out where this is going. If not, I'll just get along with this. Turns out a FB doesn't need wings to be able to fly. I was reminded of this when I get a mention that some trapper cancels a task because of a FB. So I zoom in and oh look, there it is.

Slaughtering people.

Yeah. It had deadly dust. Anyone caught up in it died a few seconds later. I didn't have time to check if it was the sort that makes you bleed to death or suffocate. Regardless, I send the militia in, hoping that someone gets to the thing and hits it apart.

And then the game crashed.

At least I learned an important lesson: Build higher walls.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 05:05:13 pm »

I was once attacked by frosty the snowman. He should have been an easy kill, but nobody landed a hit on him and he sleighed (ba-dum-tsh) half a dozen dwarves during his rampage. Next he killed a dwarven baby being carried by it's mother. The mother then turned and gave it a kick to the lower body causing it to explode. I like to think she went for the snowballs.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 05:11:03 pm »

well, my current fort is on year 12. ive had my millitary kill one 'tundra-titan', a condor that flew to my roof and stood by a balista there unttil the axedwarves arrived. one guy broke his leg and that was it.

two forgotten beasts got into my fortress by different means. one flew into an exposed stairway (wasnt watching that digging project closely enough), the other swam through fortifications for a water source in the cave level. both were slaughtered by my axedwarves. ive been trying to get at least 1 war dog for each soldier, and this has helped when one guy gets there first and starts the fight before the rest of his squad shows up. a third forgotten beast was slaughtered fighting a tribe of creatures on the cave level. i can currently see 4 more forgotten beasts in the cave levels that i have walled off(one has webs), and think theres at least one more that wandered away from the area i can observe right now.

aside from that, ive had my guys hunt down and kill a cyclops (it was chasing a dwarf around the map), and have trapped a giant, a dragon, and a bronze colossus. ive also had a 7-headed hydra die to a single weapon trap of serrated bronze discs, with multiple decapitations.

right now, a dwarven military of mostly axedwarves, with equipment of mostly bronze (some steel, the goblinite is all copper for some reason), is doing very well for themselves.

as for stories of fortress loss.... theres a bloody reason i wall off the cave levels. when i first started exploring the new cave biomes, i kept getting totally destroyed by flying forgotten beasts. since then ive figured out how to run a military again. i mostly just want to dig down to magma for my forges before i do anything too fancy (building a tower from gold bars at the moment).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 06:08:29 pm »

I initially thought that megabeasts were a joke when most of them got killed in short order.  Then I ran into one with deadly vapors.  Oh boy.

I was actually looking to end the fort in a spectacular manner, but I sent the military after it anyway.  The way into the fort from the caverns wasn't blocked, so it managed to get up into the fort and near the dining hall.  Then the vapor started.

The military eventually managed to kill it, but I lost about half of them (had 40 to start with, 23 after I think).  In all, I lost 1/3 of the 150 citizens in my fort.  The vapors didn't kill immediately, but after bleeding for a bit people started dying.  I was lulled into a false sense of security when the military didn't go down instantly from it.

There was so much blood and vomit afterward it was kind of funny.  Then the miasma started when I couldn't bury them fast enough.  Hilariously, I only my mayor tantrumed from the ordeal from losing his wife and 2 kids.  He was fine a few days later though.

This was using the pony mod.  I guess there wasn't enough magic of friendship in my fort.  Nobody cared that everyone was dying.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 09:45:23 pm »

Haha great stories, very entertaining and even informative!

I think a recent FB had some sort of vapor it expelled or something. Dwarves keep dying of bloodloss randomly, leaving trails of vomit and blood everywhere before they expire. It's pretty funny when you see one of the trails, you can follow it to inevitably find the dwarf who expelled said fluids.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5