Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: strange moods=skill level up?  (Read 2209 times)

runhidesurvive

• Bay Watcher
  • And let there be a moderate amount of light!
    • View Profile
strange moods=skill level up?
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:28:16 am »

my fisher dwarf went into a mood for no reason and became a legendey mechanic, does this mean that strange moods make skills level up faster? (before he was a skilled mechanic i think)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: strange moods=skill level up?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:30:11 am »

they give you an immediate xp boost, enough to take you to legendary.

the exception is possession, which doesnt give any xp

runhidesurvive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:09:43 am »

speaking of legendary dwarfs, i wish my migrant waves would give me something other than furnace operators and high master metal smiths considering i have no metals

Urist McCheater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:01 am »

Specifically, the experience boost is 20,000. You can read more about strange moods here.
Is there any way (after killing them) to wear my enemies' skin, hands or even heads as a trophy or just for fun?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:42 am »

speaking of legendary dwarfs, i wish my migrant waves would give me something other than furnace operators and high master metal smiths considering i have no metals

The map has no metal at all or have you just not found any yet?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05:50 am »

It's not uncommon. Even if you do get a site with shallow metals and deep metals, the things the game counts as metal are not necessarily the things that can be processed into raw material for your metalworkers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

runhidesurvive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:13:48 am »

i just havent found any yet, i dont want to bust into a cavern because only 4 of my dwarfs have proper weapons, 2 bronze bithsum daggers, a white bronze spear and a rock axe, i was lucky that only two dwarfs died when a sea monter attacked and my military head only got a broken hand which was fixed thanks to the 5 medical dwarfs i got in a migrent wave
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:15:53 am by runhidesurvive »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:14:54 am »

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:11:12 pm »

Don't worry about caverns; you can seal them right up as soon as you open them with floors and walls. Then if you have mud or soil around, underground plants and trees from the caves will start growing inside your fort. Once you know where the caverns are, you can start digging around them and go deeper safely.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 04:17:19 pm »

Personally the biggest problem I have with caverns is I tend to end up opening them in the ceiling, and have open air to work with to actually reach the ground. Then Trogs start to run up my mine shaft, which happens to usually be in the middle of my settlement, and things start dieing...

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:28:34 pm »

Personally the biggest problem I have with caverns is I tend to end up opening them in the ceiling, and have open air to work with to actually reach the ground. Then Trogs start to run up my mine shaft, which happens to usually be in the middle of my settlement, and things start dieing...

The former is why I mention you can close off caverns with floors and walls. Find a column that goes all the way down, floor off the hole into the cavern, and tunnel through the column instead.

The latter can be solved with cage traps. Then you can train a military on the captive trogs later.

runhidesurvive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:42:27 pm »

i found a cavern! trees have started growing in my fortress, im about to open it after ive installed floodgates and traps, then ill send in a low level wrestler to scout out and report any minerals i can use. Already i can see a new kind of rock which in my texture pack, looks smooth so theres good chance it will be ore, then i can get a metal industry up and running and i can make weapons incase of any FB or sea monsters that get stuck in my moat  :D

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 07:56:50 pm »

You can use 'k' to find out what the smooth looking rock is.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

runhidesurvive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 12:43:59 pm »

You can use 'k' to find out what the smooth looking rock is.
oh its called tetrahedrite and the caverns have frogpeople

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »

I think tetrahedite is a metal ore... I forget which ones. I _think_ it has iron in it...
Pages: [1] 2