Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with reserved barrels  (Read 455 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Problems with reserved barrels
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:55:17 am »

Been having trouble recently with reserved barrels. As in, they don't work. At all. No matter how many I tell it to reserve they all manage to get stuffed with goddamn plants.  Is this a bug, or is there an explanation?
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with reserved barrels
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:37:55 am »

Do you have any workshops running that would be processing plants/putting anything into barrels? Reserving barrels will save them for workshops to use, but if you have a workshop running it might be filling up your other barrels before you can brew booze into them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:24:28 am »

No I don't, they just seem to fill up slowly over time, to solve this I usually just churn out rock pots and brew, then when they get filled with plants trade them off.
My Steam Account

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 12:10:35 pm »

I've noticed my barrels getting filled up with plants even when the number of reserved barrels exceeds the total number of barrels at my location.  This seems to happen when somebody finishes off the last unit of booze in a barrel.  The barrel doesn't seem to lose its stockpile assignment status (the stockpile number after its name) before somebody stuffs it full of strawberries and I have to dump the barrel and contents to get it empty and unassigned so I can put more booze in it.

Anybody else notice this happening?  I tend to see it at the beginning of "bare-bones" type embarks when I only have a couple barrels and every single one is of vital importance.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »

I've noticed my barrels getting filled up with plants even when the number of reserved barrels exceeds the total number of barrels at my location.  This seems to happen when somebody finishes off the last unit of booze in a barrel.  The barrel doesn't seem to lose its stockpile assignment status (the stockpile number after its name) before somebody stuffs it full of strawberries and I have to dump the barrel and contents to get it empty and unassigned so I can put more booze in it.

Probably due to the fact that you're using the same stockpile to store both booze and other foods.

I never use reserved barrels.  I segregate my stockpiles from the start.  Plants and other solid foods get stockpiles with maximum barrels set to zero.  Booze and liquid extracts get stockpiles with maximum barrels left to maximum as is default.  That way I never run out of barrels for booze.  It comes at the expense of a bit more micromanagement, but it's a one-time task to set up all the stockpiles and then I don't need to worry about it again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:03:53 pm »

Genius. Gonna try that.
My Steam Account