Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXIX - [3/7, 1/2, 1/1] - Game Over - Scum Win  (Read 38759 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXIX - [7/7, 2/2, 1/1] - Elimination Round - D1
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2011, 03:41:33 pm »

The moment that I started "buddying up", as he'd say (he stole that term from me, by the way),  with you was the same as the moment I started attacking him. Why do you think I asked him that question in the first place? Also, what do you mean by "adding one more 'helping' hand to the lynch"? I legitimately don't understand what you're trying to say by that.

I see your reasoning now.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2011, 03:42:30 pm »

Mormota
If it wasn't LyLO, then I would probably still do it. A possible scum lynch instead of a certain town lynch? Why would I choose the second?
Because a town lynch is still acceptable. When you die, you cast all the people who accuse you into a new light. And because you're screwing up the rest of us when you lie and say that you are something you aren't. Only scum needs to do that.

I see you aren't getting the connection, saying that you will lie to us in the future if you're in danger means that you are willing to lie. Only scum need to lie, thus you're saying that you're scum. No getting around it.

Mormota
What would I need excuses for?
For saying something scummy. I was willing to write it off to being a new player, since we are in Beginners Mafia, but since you've proven that you've played multiple times before you have no excuses.

Mormota
I explained my reasoning behind why I would fakeclaim as town, and when
Explaining your reasons for being scummy doesn't make you less scummy.

Fanofgaming
Okay, so you thought I seemed town until I started attacking you. I see.
Not when you started attacking me, but rather when you said you'd be ok with fakeclaiming. Which raises suspicion in my book

Fanofgaming
PEdit: Oh, look. Mormota has voted for you, Andrew. It looks like you'll probably be our first lynch.

Any reason you're mentioning this? Trying to make me squeal? Guess what, somebody has to get lynched first and if it's me then oh well. It'll give the other town more clues on who the scum are on Day 2.

Mormota
Because to me it shows he's just trying to emulate people actually scumhunting, and does not feel he can start picking at someone because he knows that someone is town.

Feeling the need to say how town you are?

And I'll respond to the latest three post later
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »

Jim: I want to know everyone's favorite roles to play, as it may have a chance to actually be the role they have, as was proven with Shark last BM.

How does this help you find scum?

I don't like seeing empty contributions. Asking pointless questions makes me think you're trying to look active instead of actually being interested in finding scum.

Who are your suspects and why aren't you making cases against them?

Just to point out the most recent of Andrew's suspicious actions, he straight-out lied.

Where?

Besides Mormota admitting he's scum?

So let's see what else you got.

Oh, right. Yeah, that's a completely flagrant case of abject dishonesty.

Yep, gotta be a lie. Can't be anything else like he made a mistake about what you said, or didn't understand it completely. Nope, a lie.

Seriously? RIGHT BELOW THE LINE YOU QUOTED, I QUOTED YOUR LIE! Please, don't be so thick.

Quit being such a raging dick.

'Randomly' is a pretty poor metric to choose your target, as a doctor. Why not go for someone who you think is going to be nightkilled? If a cop "appears" (I assume by claiming...) you say you'd protect them, but what if that cop was really scum falseclaiming? You've informed everyone of your plan, and if the mafia decide to no-kill (and you protect the one who's false-claiming cop), you'll assume you've got a confirmed town player! Who's also a cop! What luck!! Practically invulnerable, too!!!
This is a poorly thought-out answer. Worse, as you've got experience, one of the novice players might decide to follow your 'plan' (I hesitate to call it that). You could destroy all hopes of town winning. For the sake of all of us, please don't spread horrible, horrible advice. It's in your best interests to avoid spreading it, too, unless you're scum.

This is WIFOM. It's not even good WIFOM. It's utterly ridiculous WIFOM.

What are you trying to get at, and how does your extremely creative interpretation and implications based on Andrew425's answer make him scum in any way whatsoever?

You can't make up shit to justify your arguments.

Also, if you suspect him, vote for him. Why aren't you, Mr. Scummy Scum Nilum?

Yeah, that would mean that he thinks you're acting scummy. I don't entirely disagree, but I wouldn't say you're in my top three scummiest players at this point. I might have some questions for you a bit later, when I'm done with Andrew.

Why did you answer this question from Mormota directed at Nilum?

Quit trying to cover for your scumbuddy, scum.

PEdit: Oh, look. Mormota has voted for you, Andrew. It looks like you'll probably be our first lynch.

I'm glad you're so cool with it.

I'm seriously having trouble believing you could say something like this and be town right now. Unvote, Fanofgaming.

Okay, you are seriously scum. This is where you voted Andrew425.

Unvote; Andrew, you now have the most votes. What do you think about that? Even though it's early in the game, do you have any reads on anyone yet?

An RVS vote that you've kept on him, and are apparently completely 100% satisfied to leave there through the end of the day, and you haven't stated a case on him.

In other words, scummy bullshit.

Hang.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2011, 04:04:15 pm »

I see you aren't getting the connection, saying that you will lie to us in the future if you're in danger means that you are willing to lie. Only scum need to lie, thus you're saying that you're scum. No getting around it.
I agree with this. No use arguing it any further, though. You're just repeating yourself at this point. You too, Mormota.
Fanofgaming
Not when you started attacking me, but rather when you said you'd be ok with fakeclaiming. Which raises suspicion in my book
You really need to stop misrepping people, it's scummy as hell. Fakeclaiming at LyLO if you're about to be lynched and if you know that you're town is what I said I'd be okay with. If you don't claim, town will definitely lose. If you do claim, town might not lose.
Fanofgaming

Any reason you're mentioning this? Trying to make me squeal? Guess what, somebody has to get lynched first and if it's me then oh well. It'll give the other town more clues on who the scum are on Day 2.
This seems like a forced claim of indifference and I don't believe it for a second.

PEdit: Ohai, Jim. If you haven't noticed, Andrew hasn't exactly reacted well to the pressure that I've been putting on him. That's what RVS is for, isn't it? Applying pressure to people randomly until someone screws up?

Also...
I'm seriously having trouble believing you could say something like this and be town right now.
Really? Would you prefer that I just sit here like an idiot and wait for other people to scumhunt for me? Or perhaps I could just sit here and wait for you to tell me to do exactly what I'm already doing. I'm sure you know better than I do that scumhunting is nothing if you're not confident and if you don't keep applying pressure (good job on trying to pressure me, by the way).
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2011, 04:24:05 pm »

I agree with this. No use arguing it any further, though. You're just repeating yourself at this point. You too, Mormota.

What stake do you have in their argument that you want to make it stop?

Being diplomatic and trying to resolve conflict is not a town quality, so you don't have to pretend like you care.

PEdit: Ohai, Jim. If you haven't noticed, Andrew hasn't exactly reacted well to the pressure that I've been putting on him. That's what RVS is for, isn't it? Applying pressure to people randomly until someone screws up?

Really? You've been putting pressure on him?

News to me. Mayhaps you'd like to explain just exactly how he's not reacting well to your 'pressure' because I don't see it and I don't buy it.

Also...
I'm seriously having trouble believing you could say something like this and be town right now.
Really? Would you prefer that I just sit here like an idiot and wait for other people to scumhunt for me? Or perhaps I could just sit here and wait for you to tell me to do exactly what I'm already doing. I'm sure you know better than I do that scumhunting is nothing if you're not confident and if you don't keep applying pressure (good job on trying to pressure me, by the way).

Stating somebody is likely to get lynched isn't scumhunting. Good job with the speech though, but since it doesn't actually answer anything in specific that I brought up against you it's completely pointless and empty.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »

Also, way to not answer my other question:

Yeah, that would mean that he thinks you're acting scummy. I don't entirely disagree, but I wouldn't say you're in my top three scummiest players at this point. I might have some questions for you a bit later, when I'm done with Andrew.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »

What stake do you have in their argument that you want to make it stop?

Being diplomatic and trying to resolve conflict is not a town quality, so you don't have to pretend like you care.
They're just wasting each other's time. Assuming that at least one of them isn't scum, that's time (t)he(y) could be spending doing something useful instead of just going around in circles. I was under the impression that it's pro-town to not want to see people wasting time by doing jack shit.

News to me. Mayhaps you'd like to explain just exactly how he's not reacting well to your 'pressure' because I don't see it and I don't buy it.
Sorry, Jim. I'm not going to go read everything for you. That's your job, not mine. Well, mine too, but I've already done it for myself.
Stating somebody is likely to get lynched isn't scumhunting. Good job with the speech though, but since it doesn't actually answer anything in specific that I brought up against you it's completely pointless and empty.
By telling him that he's probably going to be lynched, pressure is increased and it also makes me seem more confident, which increases pressure even further. But now you've gone and ruined that by making me say it, so good job, Jim.

Also, way to not answer my other question:

Sorry, I was under the impression that you had already made up your own answer for me. Which you did. But to humor you, I answered that question from Mormota directed at Nilum because it was a question that I could answer while also throwing in a bit of my own opinion.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2011, 06:06:49 pm »

Ok, so I find myself completely unable to work up the motivation to continue playing this game.  Sorry guys, I'm going to drop out.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2011, 06:47:48 pm »

Goodbye Remalle, I hardly knew ya.
Mormota: At this point I'm thinking that either you or Andrew are scum. You are scum hunting quite well, and Andrew is seeming to be an active lurker.
Jim: Thanks for the help. My suspicions are mainly on Andrew. The reason why I haven't made a case yet? Because of Mormota prodding. I wanted to make sure of the validity of his answers and making sure HES not scum, as that will just backfire on me.
Andrew: It's time to hang, scum. Why is it you have been showing us all lies from the very start?
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2011, 07:46:57 pm »

...continuing from the last post, now that I actually have time to spare:

Andrew425
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mormota
ansontan2000
Fanofgaming
Jim Groovester
Remalle

The 'still-have-not-posted-enough-to-get-a-read' club:
Halmie
Dariush

To respond to Jim's allegations:
'Randomly' is a pretty poor metric to choose your target, as a doctor. Why not go for someone who you think is going to be nightkilled? If a cop "appears" (I assume by claiming...) you say you'd protect them, but what if that cop was really scum falseclaiming? You've informed everyone of your plan, and if the mafia decide to no-kill (and you protect the one who's false-claiming cop), you'll assume you've got a confirmed town player! Who's also a cop! What luck!! Practically invulnerable, too!!!
This is a poorly thought-out answer. Worse, as you've got experience, one of the novice players might decide to follow your 'plan' (I hesitate to call it that). You could destroy all hopes of town winning. For the sake of all of us, please don't spread horrible, horrible advice. It's in your best interests to avoid spreading it, too, unless you're scum.

What are you trying to get at, and how does your extremely creative interpretation and implications based on Andrew425's answer make him scum in any way whatsoever?

I didn't consider it WIFOM so much as optimal play. Here's another scenario: let's assume for a moment you're scum. Mafia. Andrew has flat-out said that he will protect the cop if one "appears". It's day 2, and there are 7 players left alive -- 2 scum, 5 town. This is the earliest any cop would claim. Tomorrow will be Lylo if no one is protected and town mislynches again. If a cop claims, and declares he's found scum, it would be in your best interests to leave him alive -- killing him would damn either you or your scumbuddy. As a doctor, protecting the cop would be poor play.
Once a cop has laid out his allegations, it's better he be killed (ideally nightkilled, rather than wasting a lynch) so his allegations can be confirmed. Andrew was saying he would actively work to prevent this from happening. I would rather have a dead cop and a confirmed scum than ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Even a dead cop and confirmed town is better than the alternative: NOTHING. Who are the only people who want to deprive the town of information? Scum.
We have 2 (real) days to go until the day is over. Right now, I'm more concerned with getting lurkers (like Halmie) out here than jumping on the Andrew bandwagon in an effort to do what, exactly? He's scum. He's going to slip under pressure, and placing him at the top of my list achieves everything a vote would, while freeing my vote to actually influence other players.

So, Halmie. Get out here, and tell me: who's scum. Why are they scum, and who's their likely scum partner?
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »

They're just wasting each other's time. Assuming that at least one of them isn't scum, that's time (t)he(y) could be spending doing something useful instead of just going around in circles. I was under the impression that it's pro-town to not want to see people wasting time by doing jack shit.

Then you should get rid of whatever impressions about the game you have so that I can fill them in with actual gameplay knowledge because the crap you have right now isn't cutting it.

It's not your job to care if people are scumhunting productively, so don't. Further, it's pro-town to hunt for scum and that's the only thing that's pro-town. Trying to look pro-town doing anything else is a scum tell, which I'll note you've committed here by trying to stop Mormota's and Andrew425's argument.

Sorry, Jim. I'm not going to go read everything for you. That's your job, not mine. Well, mine too, but I've already done it for myself.

So you don't have jack shit then, else you could present it for me.

You see, this is why you're not town, because somebody who was town would want to present their case to people to try and convince them to come to their point of view. This is how the day game works. People make arguments on other players. Other players might ask about those arguments. The arguments are clarified. If the arguments are good, then the other players will agree and vote with you.

Is your argument good? Well, if you're not willing to present it to people when they ask, how will they know? Unless that's what you're counting on.

By telling him that he's probably going to be lynched, pressure is increased and it also makes me seem more confident, which increases pressure even further. But now you've gone and ruined that by making me say it, so good job, Jim.

But pressure is used to get something out of somebody. What are you trying to get out of Andrew425?

Oh, right, you said 'Fuck you' to me asking. Never mind, then.

Jkjkjk answer the question, smartass.

Sorry, I was under the impression that you had already made up your own answer for me. Which you did. But to humor you, I answered that question from Mormota directed at Nilum because it was a question that I could answer while also throwing in a bit of my own opinion.

1) Don't answer questions not directed at you.
2) You can state your opinion without using somebody else's post to segue into it. This helps you avoid 1).

Mormota: At this point I'm thinking that either you or Andrew are scum. You are scum hunting quite well, and Andrew is seeming to be an active lurker.

You are completely at odds with yourself if you say you suspect Mormota and you say he's scumhunting quite well, because scumhunting is not a suspicious action.

And Andrew425's been posting frequently enough and well enough that he can't really be called an active lurker.

Jim: Thanks for the help. My suspicions are mainly on Andrew. The reason why I haven't made a case yet? Because of Mormota prodding. I wanted to make sure of the validity of his answers and making sure HES not scum, as that will just backfire on me.

But, you see, you could be asking them both questions if that's what you were worried about.

Don't let a silly thing like imagined obstacles get in the way of you finding out who is and isn't scum.

Andrew: It's time to hang, scum. Why is it you have been showing us all lies from the very start?

This question is loaded bullshit. You are not going to get anything out of it. You might look 'tough' but looking tough is not an acceptable contribution.

Make your case on your suspects, and try voting them, else you are lying, cowardly scum.

You still haven't answered this:

Jim: I want to know everyone's favorite roles to play, as it may have a chance to actually be the role they have, as was proven with Shark last BM.

How does this help you find scum?

I didn't consider it WIFOM so much as optimal play. Here's another scenario: let's assume for a moment you're scum. Mafia. Andrew has flat-out said that he will protect the cop if one "appears". It's day 2, and there are 7 players left alive -- 2 scum, 5 town. This is the earliest any cop would claim. Tomorrow will be Lylo if no one is protected and town mislynches again. If a cop claims, and declares he's found scum, it would be in your best interests to leave him alive -- killing him would damn either you or your scumbuddy. As a doctor, protecting the cop would be poor play.
Once a cop has laid out his allegations, it's better he be killed (ideally nightkilled, rather than wasting a lynch) so his allegations can be confirmed. Andrew was saying he would actively work to prevent this from happening. I would rather have a dead cop and a confirmed scum than ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Even a dead cop and confirmed town is better than the alternative: NOTHING. Who are the only people who want to deprive the town of information? Scum.

Optimal play?

Optimal play???

OPTIMAL PLAY??????

Your scenarios are completely ridiculous speculation and it's not realistic to expect that either of them will come true. Instead of thinking up wild scenarios, you should stick with the facts: what people have said and done so far. Don't lose your head in speculation.

My point was this: It's not reasonable to string up Andrew425 because he somehow damages the town in a totally fantastical scenario you just made up on the spot. I can come up with one right now where you're screwing everyone over, but what relevance would it have to whether or not you're actually scum? Zero. None at all.

The question becomes: why are you holding this as a reason to suspect Andrew425 when you have no business doing that?

We have 2 (real) days to go until the day is over. Right now, I'm more concerned with getting lurkers (like Halmie) out here than jumping on the Andrew bandwagon in an effort to do what, exactly? He's scum. He's going to slip under pressure, and placing him at the top of my list achieves everything a vote would, while freeing my vote to actually influence other players.

So, Halmie. Get out here, and tell me: who's scum. Why are they scum, and who's their likely scum partner?

There's what you think you should be doing and then there's what the IC is telling you what to do. Until these two things are the same, you should do the latter.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2011, 08:28:55 pm »

Jim: The roles people are playing may influence their decisions. By asking them what roles they would like to play, it may be what they are playing in the first place. By active lurker I mean he's not a lurker, but he is posting things without any substance. He is only answering questions driven to him by Mormota. If you'll have noticed, my vote was on him since the very beginning.

Andrew: Why is it you're only answering questions from Mormota? Why is it, that you're not actually asking questions to people in return? You're not scumhunting at all; you're just answering questions.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2011, 09:07:04 pm »

Andrew: Why is it you're only answering questions from Mormota? Why is it, that you're not actually asking questions to people in return? You're not scumhunting at all; you're just answering questions.

Yawn, if you aren't going to try, then why should I have to spend my day answering your pointless questions.

For the record.
No i'm not.
Actually I am.
And how do you come to that conclusion?

Nilum
Buddy more, scum.

Hey guess what's a great way to find scum? Call them town, scum love it, and you can really tell when they parrot around how much people think they are town.

Show me a lie. Please.

Mormota I think I can see where you are coming from. I disagree with it, but
The moment that I started "buddying up", as he'd say (he stole that term from me, by the way),  with you was the same as the moment I started attacking him. Why do you think I asked him that question in the first place? Also, what do you mean by "adding one more 'helping' hand to the lynch"? I legitimately don't understand what you're trying to say by that.

could you explain that to me because I can't.

Ansontan You haven't contributed anything to the discussion, content to sit at the back and try to snipe. You're being a lurker.

Helmie Where art thou? What do you think about this?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2011, 09:14:53 pm »

So you don't have jack shit then, else you could present it for me.

You see, this is why you're not town, because somebody who was town would want to present their case to people to try and convince them to come to their point of view. This is how the day game works. People make arguments on other players. Other players might ask about those arguments. The arguments are clarified. If the arguments are good, then the other players will agree and vote with you.
Okay, I can see the logic there. It's very important for me to convince people that Andrew is acting scummy because -- oh, wait. Most of the players have already acknowledged that Andrew is acting scummy. Do you really expect me to spend an hour compiling quotes and responses just to satisfy you? You wouldn't vote for him even if I did because that would be too easy.

Ah, hell. I guess I'll do it just for the practice. Here goes nothin'.

Fanofgaming,

My read on you is that you are acting fairly town, how will you keep up your appearances?
Remalle
Andrew: I'm flattered that you'd pick me as your partner, but do you really think having played together before is the best qualification?  What would your ideal scumbuddy be?

My ideal scumbuddy would be someone who could lead a crusade, you did that fairly well last time and had some good intuition on when or if to claim so someone like you only more experienced and maybe less gutsy.
This is buddying. I've said it before, and now Nilum has also said it. It's not an extremely solid scumtell, but it's hard to ignore.

Fanofgaming
Andrew, Why did you think I appeared town? Do you still think that I do?

I thought you appeared town because up to yesterday you were doing everything right a town should do. Then you buddy up with Mormota on his idea that fakeclaiming is a good idea. So no.
Oh, look. One of his prospective buddies decided that he was acting scummy, so he doesn't want to be friends anymore. I find it very amusing that he's actually stealing my accusations on him and then he tries to use them against me.

Unvote; Andrew, you now have the most votes. What do you think about that? Even though it's early in the game, do you have any reads on anyone yet?

Besides Mormota admitting he's scum? No, everyone else is doing a decent job but then again it is very early into the game.
Slight buddying, but more importantly, misrepping.
Fanofgaming
Okay, so you thought I seemed town until I started attacking you. I see.
Misrepping...

Mormota
You point out where I said that right now. Or I will see you hang, liar.

Would you Fakeclaim?
"most definitely"
Misrepping!
Mormota
saying that you will lie to us in the future if you're in danger means that you are willing to lie. Only scum need to lie, thus you're saying that you're scum. No getting around it.
FUCKING MISREPPING!
Of course I was going to ask that question again, because I couldn't believe that you would say it. Not only did you confirm it (That fakeclaiming is an okay tactic for you) you also say to Remelle that this isn't your first time playing so you don't have any excuses.
This is bullshit. It's obvious to me that he's playing this angle as best he can to seem like he is defending everything it means to be town. Especially because almost everything he's argued so far has revolved around this fakeclaiming crap.
This is also bullshit. As I said before, a forced claim of indifference. I don't buy it for a second. Even if he were town, I strongly doubt he'd be so 'meh' about being lynched.

PEdit:
Ansontan You haven't contributed anything to the discussion, content to sit at the back and try to snipe. You're being a lurker.

Helmie Where art thou? What do you think about this?
I might be mistaken, but isn't prodding lurkers a minor scumtell? I seem to recall that coming up in the last BM.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2011, 09:39:49 pm »

Andrew: Not just lying, misrepping and buddying. All you have done so far is try and force the lynch onto somebody else. As for not asking more questions, i would like you to look back on your posts and give me a instance of you asking a question.

Fanofgaming and Andrew: If you were the scum, what qualities would you like you scumbuddy to have?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18