Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXIX - [3/7, 1/2, 1/1] - Game Over - Scum Win  (Read 38825 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXIX - [7/7, 2/2, 1/1] - Elimination Round - D1
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 03:44:17 am »

ansontan2000, you suspect someone as a cop, but your night action says they are town, how do you proceed?

I would aggressively push them hard until I can figure it out by their actions.

Andrew425, I've seen you around here before, in previous games when reading them. If you were a doctor, how would you choose your target?
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 03:47:03 am »

ansontan2000, you suspect someone as a cop, but your night action says they are town, how do you proceed?

What are you talking about? Only the cop can see the scum.

Remalle

We've played before, how will you apply the techniques we learnt last time to this game?

Fanofgaming

How did you react when you read your alignment?

Anston
Andrew425, I've seen you around here before, in previous games when reading them. If you were a doctor, how would you choose your target?

Randomly at first then if a cop appeared I would try to save him. Otherwise i'd just rely on my gut and try to protect the anthill pokers.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 03:49:55 am »

Please elaborate. By anthill pokers, if there were more than one, how would you choose them?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 03:50:59 am »

Remalle

Blue text is typically reserved for FoSing, which stands for finger of suspicion, an indication that you suspect somebody additionally to your primary target, which is indicated by voting with red text.

It's not really appropriate to use it this early in the game, unless you actually suspect that person. Random votes suffice until the game gets going.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 04:43:05 am »

Hello.

I would like to play a game with you. The game is called Mafia. My name is irrelevant, but for the sake of convenience you may call me Dariush. Soon you will come to hate me. Or maybe not. I am the embodiment of your darkest nightmares blahblahblah. You get the idea.

Remalle, last BM you claimed Doctor despite being a regular townie. Are you going to retry the same trick again?

Andrew, what did you mean by 'only the cop can see the scum'?

Random votes suffice until the game gets going.
The above quote is kinda misleading - sure, you may choose to waste the RVS (aka random vote stage) away by useless questions and wait for something to happen, but it is a better idea to push someone suspicious meanwhile, thus forming an opinion of them based on their response. (and yes, I know that the original quote referred to the inadvisability of FoSes this early, but someone may get a wrong opinion from reading it)

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 06:51:33 am »

Fanofgaming

How did you react when you read your alignment?
I was a bit disappointed, to be honest -- I was hoping to be scum. I also found the PM to be extremely misleading, what with the "WE ARE ALL MAFIA" thing.

So, Jim. Let's assume for a second that you're scum. Do you think the fact that you're an IC would give you a massive advantage in remaining undetected?
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:31 am »

What are you talking about? Only the cop can see the scum.

Andrew, that question was not directed at you. Why did you respond? If you were scum, who would you want your scum partner to be?

Dariush, if you were doctor, would you protect someone N1?

Ansontan2000, if you were townie and it looked as if you were about to get lynched, would you claim a role?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 10:15:10 am »

Mormota: It depends on the situation. If someone quite obviously has shown that they're that role, then it could very easily backfire on me. However, if I had that role, I would have told it out to prevent myself from being lynched if possible should I know who the scum are.

FanofGaming, If you were about to get lynched and you were scum, what would you try to do to convince the others to not lynch you?

Dariush, if you were a godfather and a cop investigated you, and came up with town, what would you do if he said it in the thread?

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 10:38:30 am »

Unvote, Nilum, say you are scum, your scumbuddy is in trouble. Do you lynch him to make yourself look better, protect him and risk getting called out for it or try to ignore his predicament?
Meh.

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 10:44:14 am »

Nilum, I've never seen you around here before, so answer me a question. Let's say you're scum and somebody's been somewhat successfully hounding you all of Day 1. Do you kill them during Night 1? What if they've been unsuccessfully hounding you? What if they've been very successfully and you only made it through Day 1 by a miracle?
A battery of questions right off the bat. To answer:

If someone were pursuing me unsuccessfully and I were scum, I doubt I'd kill them. On the other hand, if they managed to turn the entire town against me, and I just barely survived -- I'd definitely consider killing them. I mean, leaving them alive would be dangerous, and chances are if they failed to lynch me the first time, they'd get it the second. If I screwed up enough to be hounded so relentlessly, I'd probably kill my accuser in the night and then suggest my scum partner bus me the next day to draw suspicion away from himself.

Halmie, assume you're a cop and town is dead-set on lynching a lurker who you know to be innocent. What would you do? What if instead of a lurker, it were an active pro-town player?

Andrew, assume you are a doctor, and N1 you save someone and there is no nightkill. The following day, town is trying to lynch the person you saved. Do you claim, or otherwise attempt to deflect suspicion?

Unvote, Nilum, say you are scum, your scumbuddy is in trouble. Do you lynch him to make yourself look better, protect him and risk getting called out for it or try to ignore his predicament?
I would lynch him immediately. Busing is rarely expected.
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 10:44:58 am »

Let's go team scum guacamole!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 11:07:20 am »

Mormota: It depends on the situation. If someone quite obviously has shown that they're that role, then it could very easily backfire on me. However, if I had that role, I would have told it out to prevent myself from being lynched if possible should I know who the scum are.

That's not an answer. Obviously you wouldn't claim a role already claimed.

FanofGaming, If you were about to get lynched and you were scum, what would you try to do to convince the others to not lynch you?

This is a bit similar to my question, but not too much. This, however:

Dariush, if you were a godfather and a cop investigated you, and came up with town, what would you do if he said it in the thread?

This is the exact opposite side of the situation Halmie asked you about. Why don't you come up with your own questions?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 11:08:29 am »

That's a somewhat silly question. I'd probably just keep scumhunting. I might claim doctor (maybe cop, but not likely) if it looked as if there were no other way out and if my scum partner were alive.

Nilum, You seem to have directed your vote at the person who voted for you. Why would you do that?
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 11:15:25 am »

Mormota, Yes I would claim a role if possible, should it make the rerst of the town not lynch me.

Fanofgaming, if your scum partner was going to be lynched, would you bus him to look less scummy when there could be a chance that he could be saved?

I need to hit the hay, see you all later.

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 11:27:43 am »

Nilum, You seem to have directed your vote at the person who voted for you. Why would you do that?
Because I'd written most of the post before he had even voted for me. I spent more than the interim 6 minutes composing my message, and even though he voted me before I actually hit 'post', my reasons for questioning Halmie still remained. I'd think it scummy to refrain from questioning someone out of fears of sending a null tell. Do you disagree?
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18