Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXIX - [3/7, 1/2, 1/1] - Game Over - Scum Win  (Read 38763 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXIX - [7/7, 2/2, 1/1] - Starts Tonight
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 01:44:22 pm »

Think, haven't you missed Nilum from Jim's link?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »

Mafia rule #76 - never explain yourself before being asked to. Keep valid excuses as aces up your sleeves.

This isn't exactly the sort of thing I want you to emphasize as an IC.

I want them to learn how to play good, solid, fundamental town games, not a bunch of dirty scum tricks. They can figure those out on their own or they can pick them up from other players on their scumteam in other games.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:05:11 pm »

Mafia rule #76 - never explain yourself before being asked to. Keep valid excuses as aces up your sleeves.

This isn't exactly the sort of thing I want you to emphasize as an IC.

I want them to learn how to play good, solid, fundamental town games, not a bunch of dirty scum tricks. They can figure those out on their own or they can pick them up from other players on their scumteam in other games.
I didn't expect this from a man who had that 'harder ball' quote for his signature for quite a while. :P But really, explaining something before being asked to may be considered an overdefence.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 03:14:11 pm »

People don't seem to realize that when it comes to beginners I am a big fluffy ball of love and kindness.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 03:41:48 pm »

Wait, that was a link? Crud. If Nilum replies soon, then he goes in instead of Juhuotar. Otherwise, Juhuotar is in.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 03:46:16 pm »

I'm in! I'm totally in. Er, if that's alright, anyway. Man, these things fill up fast.
Edit: By the way, thanks for the PM, Jim. I probably would've missed this otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:50:23 pm by Nilum »
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 03:48:28 pm »

I'll wait for next one then.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 03:51:47 pm »

Somebody will probably need replacing before this game is over.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 03:58:25 pm »

If one of the town ICs went nonplaying, we could fit in another new guy...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 04:07:33 pm »

Yeah, Johuotar, you'll be first on the replacement list at the bare minimum. I'd rather keep the game at 2 playing town IC's so that there's a chance there will be an IC alive on day 2, but if experienced people think it'd work with 1 playing IC, then I'd be down.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 07:30:49 pm »

I don't have the time right now to do double duty ICing (in a few days I will), and the start of the game is where the most ICing needs to be done. I'd prefer to have the second IC around.

Alternatively, we can kick out previous BM players out who probably don't need to play another one.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 02:38:00 am »

Alternatively, we can kick out previous BM players out who probably don't need to play another one.

There's no need for that, now that I think of it, I might be busy enough with the test mafia game I'm running for my friends right now.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXIX - [7/7, 2/2, 1/1] - Elimination Round - D1
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:44 am »

Day 1 has begun!

You are members of the extremely inglorious organization MAFIA. Your infiltration of the agency TOWN has failed, agents LNCP, Shark, and Shoesandhats all caught and arrested. The cause has been traced to two moles within this group of new MAFIA agents. As such, the nine of you have been locked into this room until you can find the moles. Kill each other til you find out if need be. Once we have been provided the bodies of the moles with evidence, you will be let out.

Day ends Monday 9:00 PM PST.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 02:59:01 am »

Why not just kill everybody instead? It's only nine people.

Now that the game has started and I am now responsible for teaching seven of you how to play a game, I will say the following first.

I will be a completely impartial source of advice that I will freely give at every opportunity, whether I am asked for it or I decide to give it on my own. You can trust that everything I have to say will be given in good faith, even if it comes at a personal cost to me in this game. If you do not listen to what I have to say, for any reason, you will severely hamper your ability to learn how to play the game. So, to reiterate,

Listen to what I tell you.

If you don't, then what's the point of me being here?

For those of you who don't know what to do, games usually start with the Random Vote Stage. You should pick a target randomly, vote them, and ask them a question. The sole purpose of this is to get conversation going when there would otherwise be no reason to do that. I'll start.

Nilum, I've never seen you around here before, so answer me a question. Let's say you're scum and somebody's been somewhat successfully hounding you all of Day 1. Do you kill them during Night 1? What if they've been unsuccessfully hounding you? What if they've been very successfully and you only made it through Day 1 by a miracle?

Ideally you should ask game related questions in the RVS. Asking what kind of flavor of ice cream is a player's favorite does absolutely nothing to help you find scum, which is your primary goal.

And because it bears repeating: Your primary goal is to find scum. Everything you do should help you towards that goal. And I do mean everything.

If you're scum, you will obviously have a different goal: Avoid detection until the end of the game. The best way to do this is to look like you are trying to find scum.

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

Additionally, before anybody else does anything, I will stress the importance of activity. You should be as active as possible. A good guideline is to get one good post in a day, but if you can post productively more often than that it's generally a good idea to do so. As a player, town or scum, being active and visible is very much an asset, as you're out there making yourself readable, and this is considered a town quality. While there are very good personal benefits to being active, the reverse is detrimental to the whole game. Low activity makes games hard to play or outright kills them. This is fun for absolutely no one, so make a good effort and be active.

If you played a Beginner's Game before you probably recognize this spiel, but it's good all the same.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 03:26:06 am »

ansontan2000, you suspect someone as a cop, but your night action says they are town, how do you proceed?
Meh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18