Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melting Pot Cities/Civilizations  (Read 1425 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Melting Pot Cities/Civilizations
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:14:36 pm »

Hello there.
I'd like to present my little idea I had during a long walk.
I think, as many have discussed before, that there should be a possibility of non-dwarven immigration. While the people immigrating should be able to do all the jobs accessible to them, there should be an option to declare different laws regarding non-dwarves. Here the player can define in which way the dwarves let them interact with them, eg. He decides that all humans must become furnace operators. Furthermore he could have no laws, which would increase or decrease tension between the two different races. Every bad thought produced by a member of a different race should add to a prejudice score. So if a dwarf feels sad because a human insulted him or killed a friend he becomes scornful. After a while a trend could cause upstarts and riots amongst your people. They would try to force them to leave. On the other hand, through good guidance, they could become loving and dependent on one another, Which would be incredibly difficult to maintain a good functioning happy elve/dwarven fortress.
A different way to rule your migrants would be by noble hand. This means that the higher nobles are able to create laws for immigrants. This could range from having your elve ladies being forced to dress in leather tongues and high heels, or it could mean that humans could rise to nobleman level, depending on your prejudice score. Prepare for fun, when your noble wants all Elves to become woodcutters.

In addition i'd like to see hobbits added in. They could begin building hobbit huts in your land, possibly destroying your well laid out underground passages, and other fun, but they would be very adept at making certain luxury products as hats and tobacco. Hobbits and dwarves should get along rather well in the usual, unless they destroy their rooms and furniture.

So how do you like my idea?

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
Re: Melting Pot Cities/Civilizations
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:29:14 pm »

I like this. Personally I would just murder them and throw their corpses into magma (OR A WOOD CASKET FOR THE ELVES :D) but it's still a cool idea. I do think that instead of people just migrating to your fortress, you should have to have a pretty famous reputation. For example, you wouldn't get many human migrants until you have traded with and otherwise aided the humans, and after that the liaison and your leader could draw up an immigration agreement.

Also, in addition to racial prejudice due to past events, I think that races should have different general preferences. Humans would probably tire of eating mushrooms and living in dark underground compartments, and would probably prefer above ground crops and housing. They also shouldn't drink as much alcohol. You could also maybe have leaders of that race among your people, making requests and eventually rioting or not working until their demands are met.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:39:58 pm »

I like the multiracial fort idea, I believe I even said something about it in a topic I've long since forgotten. Though I think you should only get migrants of other races if your fortress seems to cater somewhat to their culture. Seem to be respectful toward nature? You get some elves that want to join you. Running a very inventive/luxurious fortress? Humans start arriving, ect.

Also, it shouldn't be all bad, of course. To balance out having a harder to run fortress, you should be able to enjoy the some of the advantages of the other races as well.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:08:46 am »

Well after studying your copious amount of links I have come to the realization that nobody suggested a feature of immigration laws, and laws regarding those immigrants of other races, therefore you should add to the discussion instead of waving your "I have been on the forum forever" flag.

I like your idea king DZA, for instance having elfs in your fortress could make gaining wood harder, but also you would learn how to gain wood without killing the tree and you'd learn how to create bows.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:27:57 am »

I like this idead, and it would be nice if your dwarfs "cut" their connection with the hive mind and start murdering every other human on the fort, this could generate conflicts with the local human civ and your mountainhomes would intervent in the conflict causing a lot of !!FUN!!.
Or this could make your relations with the humans improve, you received their people, geve jobs to them, food, houses and other stuff. The human caravans should bring offerings to your fort or sell things at a lower price or the Human king himself could visit your fort and stay there for a season or two.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:31:13 am »

Oh great fun. when your Fell Mood Dwarv decides to go for the human king.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 12:54:54 pm »

I think that non-dwarven migrants should come at different times, maybe once a year per race (spring for elves, summer for humans, (rarely) winter for goblins), and only after a diplomat of that race has chatted with you about it and you agree, or else some goblin leader agrees to send you a bunch of workers for his/her freedom, or whatever. They shouldn't come unannounced. Also, elves and humans should have some tag ([SURFACE_DWELLER:X]?) that makes them unhappy to be underground for extended periods of time, with humans usually being fine with once a season and elves becoming miserable to go a month without enjoying sunlight and the scent of flowers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:18 pm »

Decent idea. Kobold military anyone?

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:03:48 am »

Is it wrong that, right after reading that, my first thought was "Human/Elf/Dwarf war contained in one city"? Also, I think it would be fun if say, you had a bunch of humans in your fort, and then your civ goes to war with the human civ and the city gets divided into Loyalists and dwarf lovers.
Hello. Have a nice day.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:21:38 am »

Great idea!  It would be neat to have some elven bowmen and human halberdiers as part of the military.  It would also be cool if some of the underground races could also immigrate once your breach the caverns.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:23:35 am by VerdantSF »