Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Captive general  (Read 3561 times)

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Captive general
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:00:22 pm »

Something odd just happened, and I'm trying to figure out if it's just coincidence. In a recent goblin siege, I captured the goblin general in a cage trap. After this, for a while all goblin aggression ceased -- no sieges, no ambushes, no thieves (that I detected). Eventually I got around to killing the general, and sieges started up again almost immediately. There are three possibilities that I can see:
  • It's just coincidence, and the captive general had nothing to do with the absence of sieges.
  • This is an intentional feature, the goblins not attacking while I hold their leader hostage.
  • There's some sort of bug that prevents them from launching new sieges while their general is still on the map.
Anyone know what the deal is here?
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Captive general
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:04:36 pm »

If the general wasn't able to leave, then the SIEGE tag at the top of the screen probably never went away, which I think prevents other attacks from occurring.

EDIT: Just noticed it said he was caught in a cage trap, which normally wouldn't be able to prolong the siege even after the goblins had fled. Maybe it's an exception for high-ranking siegers?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:37:25 pm by King DZA »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:21:43 pm »

I caught a goblin general once. I dug a 1x1 pit to the 3rd cavern layer and dropped him in.

Though I don't think holding a general stops invasions; sure it wasn't a coincidence?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:26:40 pm »

Just noticed it said he was caught in a cage trap, which normally wouldn't be able to prolong the siege even after the goblins had fled. Maybe it's an exception for high-ranking siegers?

No, the siege definitely ended.

Though I don't think holding a general stops invasions; sure it wasn't a coincidence?

No, I'm not sure. That's why I asked.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 04:41:41 pm »

Probably coincidence.

The only thing that capturing a general should do is prevent him from showing up again.  Same as with any other notable members of the goblin civ. 

I've caught/killed the leader of the nearby goblin civ a couple of times and all that does is prevent any subsequent invasions from having mounts.  You should still get sieges and ambushes and whatnot.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:42:28 pm »

Probably coincidence.

The only thing that capturing a general should do is prevent him from showing up again.  Same as with any other notable members of the goblin civ. 

I've caught/killed the leader of the nearby goblin civ a couple of times and all that does is prevent any subsequent invasions from having mounts.  You should still get sieges and ambushes and whatnot.

Yeah, capturing generals only stops mounts from appearing, until they elect a new one.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 05:49:36 pm »

If the general wasn't able to leave, then the SIEGE tag at the top of the screen probably never went away, which I think prevents other attacks from occurring.

EDIT: Just noticed it said he was caught in a cage trap, which normally wouldn't be able to prolong the siege even after the goblins had fled. Maybe it's an exception for high-ranking siegers?

Just to clear this up, you can get multiple sieges, even if you still have the siege tag.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:03:34 pm »

hm, really? I could of sworn the siege tag prevented something from happening...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:05:01 pm »

hm, really? I could of sworn the siege tag prevented something from happening...

Think its migrants... Don't quote me on that though. Migrants keep getting killed on my maps so often...

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 06:34:09 pm »

In the Soaplanterns story they captured the goblin general, and it stopped the goblins from having mounts. But they still continued to send sieges while the general was held captive.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 07:31:07 pm »

Think its migrants... Don't quote me on that though. Migrants keep getting killed on my maps so often...

(As far as I can tell) That is true, gone several seasons without migrants while a siege was active. Not getting the message "The fortress has attracted no migrants this season" either.

EDIT: However, you can still get migrants with any number of ambushes on a map. I am not sure if this works for elven sieges as they act hidden as ambushes do, but I would imagine they would come until the siege force was discovered.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:58:31 am »

you can most certainly be subjected to multiple sieges whilst one is already on the field. by both the already present race and other races.

have seen it many many times playing fort defense mod
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 12:59:46 pm »

you can most certainly be subjected to multiple sieges whilst one is already on the field. by both the already present race and other races.

Yeah, same in vanilla too. (3 Goblin lasher sieges, one elf).

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:25 pm »

Yeah, same in vanilla too. (3 Goblin lasher sieges, one elf).

Question: Can two different races launch a siege against you at the same time?  As in elves and goblins?

If so... Do they fight each other?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 01:22:58 pm »

They will fight :)
Pages: [1] 2