Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: City of Heroes (Free to Play now, limited a bit, former subs not as much)  (Read 6162 times)

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Heroes (Free to Play now, limited a bit, former subs not as much)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 06:29:59 am »

Hmmm. According to the wiki, my hero(lvl 14) is approaching the max level(15) for the earliest task forces and the earliest trial. I don't wanna miss out on them, but I don't have anyone to do them with :(

EDIT: Wait, there's time travel in this game? Does it extend to task forces, I wonder? Need to do more reading.

You can access the earliest taskforce, Positron (part 1), at level 10. There's also the "Death From Below" trial that can be done at level 1. In most taskforces, all the enemies appear at the highest level for the TF.

The taskforce (free-to-play and premium players have access to) levels are:
Positron (part 1): 10-15
Positron (part 2): 11-16
Cavern of Transcendence Trial: 12-15 (Requires someone on the team to have unlocked the contact)
Synapse: 15-20
Sister Psyche: 20-25
Moonfire: 23-28
Terra Volta 1: 24-33 (Respec)
Citadel: 25-30
Hess: 25-30 (Requires someone on the team to have unlocked the contact)
Twilight's Son: 25-34 (No team needed to start)
Katie Hannon: 30-34 (Requires someone on the team to have unlocked the contact)
Manticore: 30-35
Mender Lazarus: 30-39 (No team needed to start)
Terra Volta 2: 34-44 (Respec)
Numina: 35-40
Imperious: 35-50 (Requires access to Midnighters' Club)
Abandoned Sewers Trial: 38-40
Eden Trial: 39-41
Dr. Quaterfield: 40-44
Sara Moore: 40-50
Justine Augustine:44-50
Faathim: 44-50
Terra Volta 3: 44-50 (Respec)
Lady Grey: 45-50
Dr. Khan: 45-50
Statesman: 45-50
Mender Silos: 46-50 (No team needed to start)
Cathedral of Pain Trial: 10-50 (Accessed by super group computer)

As for time travel, there's a zone called Ouroboros you can access at level 25 with time travel related story arcs and features the ability to play (or replay) story arcs you've out-leveled. Its also a convenient way of getting around the city. To get to Ouroboros, you need to use the Ouro portal power, which you can get from doing a story arc pertaining to time travel (such as the Faultline arcs or Ubelmann the Unknown (a lv 25-29 arc)) or hitchhiking on someone else's portal (I think you need to grab the exploration badge if you're using this method, which I think is on the metal bar over the pool).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:50:06 am by Flying Carcass »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 10:22:30 am »

Huh. Okay, I might have to load this up. Me and some RL friends used to play quite a bit back in the day before WoW came out. We had a couple of different supergroups:

The Color Guard (All the characters were based around a color: Red Threat, White Devil, Orange Crush, Grey Hare, Blackheart, Gold Bug, The Blue Beatnik, etc.)
The Mighty Mites (All characters were minimum height and maximum width. Basically, a bunch of dwarfs!)
The Department of Public Works (with characters like The Street Sweeper, Jackhammer, Major Paver...) 

I think we had another group of fantasy-themed characters, but this was about the time we were getting tired of the level grind up in the late 30s.

We briefly toyed around with City of Villains when the open beta came out, but that was about the time we were ditching CoH.

I'd be curious to see how many Reward Point I racked up from all that time playing. I'd be interested in a B12 supergroup, because CoH was definitely one of those games that's a lot more fun in a group than solo.

I've also recreated Red Threat and White Devil (no, he's not a "demon" toon, he's a guy in white and red tights with fire powers and super-jumping) over on Champions Online F2P if anyone plays that.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:33:46 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 10:30:57 am »

I tried this recently but the character model is almost invisible during character creation :S, tried running it in safe mode, same thing. I checked the forum and it seems other people are having this issue when CoH became CoH freedom.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 12:58:46 pm »

City of Heroes is free to play now?  Damn.

This was the MMO of choice with my group of friends like five years ago, and I got into it occasionally.  I have terrible luck with any game I can't pause, my life will be boring as shit for days and then I turn on the MMO and the world is beating down my door for reasons to distract me.  And I wasn't confident in making monthly payments.

But yeah, this actually was a pretty good game, as "grindy" as an MMO should be while still letting you have some fun with it.  Not a bad way to screw around with friends.  None of the Hero builds were all that interesting to me, they were either too fragile or too boring.  It took me until Villains that I figured out why: they're all designed to work as a team, so none of them can solo particularly well.  Whereas most of the Villain builds can, especially Masterminds... But I never really played alone, so my friends and I ran around as a group of up to five Masterminds at a time.

Just to see if anything was shaking, I signed up for one month earlier this year and logged in for the first time in ages.  Our old server was a ghost town, at least in the noob area.  Kinda depressing.  But being free to play, there's probably more people in there now, at least the ones who weren't snagged by DC Online first.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 03:04:47 pm »

Just FYI, all the archetypes are available for both heroes and villains now. (Though to access controllers, masterminds, khelds, and VEATs, one needs to be at a certain premium tier, or VIP)

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 04:22:26 pm »

Wait so the max level is 15 for free players?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 04:25:47 pm »

Wha? No, as far as I can tell you can get to the current maximum of level 50. You are somewhat limited in costume choices and some power sets, and some features like the auction house are limited or off-limits.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 10:28:43 pm »

I tend to be on pretty randomly unfortunately. I sometimes get on during the day and sometimes late at night. It depends on what my sleeping schedule is at the time.

I'm about to get on in a few minutes for a while to see if I have any messages and stuff though.

EDIT: Replied to you Boka, also should be 500k influence in your mailbox.

My buddy's girlfriend also plays CoH and has the next two weeks off from work and plans to grind something fierce in CoH. If anyone on Freedom server wants to team or if anyone just wants another friend for their global list, her global name is @vamptemptress

She might be on more than me Boka so if you are on Freedom and want a team feel free to send her a global invite. /friend @vamptemptress for her, /friend @Ya Dead Homie for me. I'll ask my buddy if he wants his global name on here or not also, haven't spoken with him yet.

City of Heroes is a great game. I played off and on (mostly on) for a number of years between its release and issue 14, so I was quite pleased to get back into it when it went free-to-play. I was a subscriber long enough to have pretty much all the content I had when I stopped playing; the only thing I don't have access to is the invention system, which I never really was a fan of and had only one character with any number of IOs (and mostly simple damage IOs at that). As of late I've been leveling a brute hero-side on Freedom server called "Captain Enterprise", currently in the early 40s, so give a yell if you want to team. Of course, I haven't been on since Skyrim released... >.>

Cool, well if you get on send a /t to @Ya Dead Homie

I sent one to @Captain Enterprise but it didn't seem to go through, so I assume your global name is different.

EDIT2: Also @vamptemptress doesn't have the Tier rankage to send global tells to people who aren't her friend yet, so you'll have to wait until the global friendship has been mutually accepted before exchanging messages (I think)

EDIT3: Redking and Aqi, I'd be down to team with you server and availability permitting.

EDIT4: Ahahahaha @vamptemptress has some of the special dance emotes, freaking funny as hell
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:42:33 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 12:57:15 am »

Yeah, my global is @Flying Carcass

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 07:15:44 am »

Installed it last night, and I was underwhelmed. Even with "Ultra Settings" for graphics, the game looks like ass compared to later iterations like Champions Online. I had also forgotten the really annoying part where every character must have a unique name, which means at this point almost all the good names are taken. While it was nice to see that my 18 months' paid subscriber time unlocked me a ton of freebies, it still doesn't seem like some things are available that should be. I spent my last token on new combat pets (wisps, fairies, and something else) but I don't see a way to build those into a character powerset?

Also, the character designer interface is a PITA compared to the improvements they made in Champions. All in all, it feels like a regression: Like going back and playing Asheron's Call after all the evolution that's occurred in MMORPGs since then.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 09:45:43 am »

Cool, I've never played Champions Online so I can't compare the two. The upside of not-as-good-graphics means that it doesn't lag so bad on my system though.

That combat pet should be in your temporary powers list. Basically it's a free power, you don't have to expend a power choice on it.

Also if you played MMs before, they made them less of a hassle by upgrading all the pets at once in an area affect when you use the upgrade powers.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:48:24 am by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 06:16:51 pm »

The problem with Champions Online, or at least the free version, is that you are stuck with only about 8 pre-set class builds. Every single free character uses the same fire blasters and ice shooters. With CoH, you have much more variety for no cost.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 02:44:41 am »

i started playing 2day i made 2 characters, its a pretty fun game.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 03:47:54 am »

i started playing 2day i made 2 characters, its a pretty fun game.

Cool. If you'd like I can email you some game cash. I've got millions from back when I played that I don't really need as I can't use Inventions (the system that requires a bunch of game cash)

What was the name of the first character you made? Or do you know your global name? It will start with an @

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 06:59:46 am »

I Started playing again, too. I'm still in the tutorial, though. Any other Villains?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND
Pages: 1 [2] 3