Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: City of Heroes (Free to Play now, limited a bit, former subs not as much)  (Read 6156 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

I searched for a thread about City of Heroes, the old one was pretty old. Anyways it's free sort of, and I'm playing it for free when I catch my long lost buddy online, but mostly it's worth coming back to if you played it before. New people are limited a bit. As many months as you paid for back whenever you played count as these things called Reward tokens, or something. There's a bunch of different reward merits, paragon merits, vanguard merits, etc but the type you get for having put money in the game in the past is what gives the most valuable type which unlocks features. The disappointing part is that depending on how many months you had subbed it may still not be enough to unlock some things that you had while being a subscriber. The plus side? None, really, as that money could have been better utilized elsewhere silly. The neutral side? It's free now all the time, plus if you lived in the days when subscribing to games wasn't as much of a budget breaker if you had it subbed for a good period you get most of the stuff VIP gets. The exception is Invention origin enhancements usage and basically anything that you would use the market for are very high on the unlock tree which is unfortunate, but I suppose it would have to be to be functional. Also requiring VIP is the content allowing you to gain what appears to be an extra level once you reach the max. This would play a large role in the voluntary PVP due to the maths at work and thus pvp is somewhat sparse due to the doubly stacked playing field between free players, premiums (which are returning former subscribers) and VIPs in that not only can VIPs gain an additional level via Incarnate status but also use IO's to flatten opposition.

However that's OK with me I suppose since PVP is pretty rare now from what I've heard and I'd mostly limit it to me and whoever else wants to go dogpiling onto whoever we find anyways.

The PVE game is also pretty cool. You can fly, jump, teleport and superspeed around a city, which is pretty cool. Fighting is pretty fun in groups and it's easy to set a suitable difficulty level. I tend to increase difficulty settings for the group until people start dieing and then keep it there. It's pretty well balanced as far as gameplay goes; but expect to take a great many bullets as it's a health points type game.

From this thread, it seems that Freedom is the server to play upon if you seek B12 companions as of 12/8/12
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:42:18 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Heroes (Free to Play now I suppose, limited of course)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:42:27 am »

I played for a bit. I got tired of every other character in the game being a demon, and quitted.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:21:16 am »

I played for a bit. I got tired of every other character in the game being a demon, and quitted.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It might have been a new powerset is my guess. That tended to happen back when I played years ago, where everyone made a new character with that powerset to try it out.

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Heroes (Free to Play now, limited a bit, former subs not as much)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40:24 am »

What a coincidence, was thinking about making a thread about this game as well.
I started playing again since a week and immediately bought VIP in order to unlock all slots and my old demon toon :p
Anyway, I'm playing on..freedom I think and it might be fun to team up with some fellow B12ers. Perhaps even start our own supergroup and build our heroic fortress?:)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:59:27 am »

Yeah, I noticed that too. It might have been a new powerset is my guess. That tended to happen back when I played years ago, where everyone made a new character with that powerset to try it out.
What's a powerset? I thought it was just a hoard of 13 year olds...
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:26:13 am »

What's a powerset? I thought it was just a hoard of 13 year olds...

Oh, haha, my mistake, I apologize. I guess it could have been, it is a free to play game and children are notoriously under-compensated in monetary earnings at their educational facility. I probably either play MMO's at night or when they are at school due to the hours I work when I have a job. I suppose there is some overlap and I do change my schedule a lot though. I don't remember seeing kids on but then again I usually keep global-type chats on a tab I don't watch and I don't go around asking players how old they are either, since that information won't affect me and would be kind of weird and unnecessary for me to know...

I thought you meant all the characters were being followed around by a bunch of demon pets. On the villain side one of the archetypes is the Mastermind and I've recently seen a lot of those with the Demon Summoning primary, which of course lets them have demon pets.

Powerset is a set of a powers that you choose at the start of the game for the superhero/villain you play as. Basically you're a superhero or a supervillain. As you level up you choose which powers in your Primary and Secondary power set to unlock, and can also choose from power pools that any archetype can choose from, rather than the archetype specific powersets.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:43:07 am by Duuvian »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:59:45 am »

Heroes nowadays can choose mastermind as well, just like villains can pick controllers :) Since praetoria(sp?), everyone can be anything ^^

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 09:16:55 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh, haha, my mistake, I apologize. I guess it could have been, it is a free to play game and children are notoriously under-compensated in monetary earnings at their educational facility. I probably either play MMO's at night or when they are at school due to the hours I work when I have a job. I suppose there is some overlap and I do change my schedule a lot though. I don't remember seeing kids on but then again I usually keep global-type chats on a tab I don't watch and I don't go around asking players how old they are either, since that information won't affect me and would be kind of weird and unnecessary for me to know...

I thought you meant all the characters were being followed around by a bunch of demon pets. On the villain side one of the archetypes is the Mastermind and I've recently seen a lot of those with the Demon Summoning primary, which of course lets them have demon pets.

Powerset is a set of a powers that you choose at the start of the game for the superhero/villain you play as. Basically you're a superhero or a supervillain. As you level up you choose which powers in your Primary and Secondary power set to unlock, and can also choose from power pools that any archetype can choose from, rather than the archetype specific powersets.
Nope, they made chars with wings and customized them to be black and red demons. And then took the flying travel method and ran around with names like coolguy666. How I love to hate free games.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 10:51:41 pm »

Dammit, I started playing this game a few days ago and totally missed this thread.

I've got a hero character on the Union server and a villain on Triumph, but no friends or anything on either server. So ronery ;_;

If I could get some friends to play with I might even decide to spend money on this game.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:55:38 pm »

if more people from here play it ill join too :D

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:00:49 am »

I used to be a premium player, and had lots of fun. I'm thinking of reactivating my old account and starting some new chars as a free player.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 12:44:10 am »

Hmmm. According to the wiki, my hero(lvl 14) is approaching the max level(15) for the earliest task forces and the earliest trial. I don't wanna miss out on them, but I don't have anyone to do them with :(

EDIT: Wait, there's time travel in this game? Does it extend to task forces, I wonder? Need to do more reading.

EDIT2: Ah, so you automatically exemplar downwards if your level exceeds the max. That's nice to know. Now I don't have to worry about overleveling anymore.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:10:18 am by Boksi »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 03:06:39 am »

Hey everyone, sorry about not keeping up on this thread. The best way to contact me in CoH is through the email system in game. You will have a global chat name which you can use to communicate even over other servers and when the recipient is offline. I think your default global name is the name of the first character you log in as (though it's changeable). Mine is @Ya Dead Homie since that was the name of the character I logged into first when they released that addition a long time ago.

Basically just send an in game email (it's on the chat window) to @Ya Dead Homie and I'll get it.

You can also send me tells via /t @ya dead homie, text here

even if you are on another server and I'm offline. There is a limit to the number of offline messages the game stores. I'm not sure about emails but you should be able to reach me in the near future that way. I'll usually login at least once during the day to see whether the dude I used to group with in CoH is on or not and send him some messages if not or team up if so.

I'll read this thread now and edit in some answers for questions and stuff that I know about, though there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge, especially about newer features.

Hmmm. According to the wiki, my hero(lvl 14) is approaching the max level(15) for the earliest task forces and the earliest trial. I don't wanna miss out on them, but I don't have anyone to do them with :(

EDIT: Wait, there's time travel in this game? Does it extend to task forces, I wonder? Need to do more reading.

EDIT2: Ah, so you automatically exemplar downwards if your level exceeds the max. That's nice to know. Now I don't have to worry about overleveling anymore.

Yep. They made it significantly easier to form groups during my hiatus and you don't have to worry about missing out on stuff.

Also,

How I would recommend leveling up is this: Do your contact's missions. If you can get a group, do so because with time travel you can go back and learn all the intricacies of the story at any time, and you'll be a little more powerful due to having more slotting in your powers by that time (though enhancements scale down to roughly to the effectiveness they should be at that time, there are also more of them.)

The exception to this are the bank missions, which give a useful temporary power. This is because you are introduced to contacts through a 'broker.' This broker will contact you after you do a certain amount of newspaper missions, at which they will direct you you to rob/defend a bank in an alternate instance city zone (these are fun and tricky missions to be handled slowly and with care). If you succeed you get a temp power (low level villains get a jetpack for instance that lasts for 1 hour of in game usage. I recommend conserving by only using it to jump over obstacles, especially if you saved a power pick by only taking superspeed as a travel power  in City of Villains, as the Rogue Islands are about as well fortified as you'd expect from a paranoid super villain mastermind.)

Ooh, actually can you even contact me via global as a free player? I sure hope so, that would make it a lot easier to give you some guidance. I remember there were some limits on new free players (not premium which is what I am I guess since I had a subscription at one point) regarding zone wide chats, but I'm not sure if that covers global chat or not.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:50:04 am by Duuvian »

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 03:59:45 am »

City of Heroes is a great game. I played off and on (mostly on) for a number of years between its release and issue 14, so I was quite pleased to get back into it when it went free-to-play. I was a subscriber long enough to have pretty much all the content I had when I stopped playing; the only thing I don't have access to is the invention system, which I never really was a fan of and had only one character with any number of IOs (and mostly simple damage IOs at that). As of late I've been leveling a brute hero-side on Freedom server called "Captain Enterprise", currently in the early 40s, so give a yell if you want to team. Of course, I haven't been on since Skyrim released... >.>

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 06:10:03 am »

Nice to know.

I'm @Bokahilla then, according to the menu. I've got a character named that on the Union server, too. And I can't send you an email because I either need to reach the next tier of Paragon Rewards or be a VIP to send emails :(

In fact, I don't think I can even send tells, either, though I can use /reply. I can use the friends tab in chat though. This is what I've read, anyway.

Another thing that might be important is time zone, since I'm on GMT +0. What are yours?

Pages: [1] 2 3