Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Things you miss really, really badly  (Read 3239 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Things you miss really, really badly
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:43 pm »

That cereal from the late '90s that looked like little slices of french toast and tasted like syrup. I forget the name.
French Toast Crunch? I loved that cereal.

I wonder, why are all the good things shut down so quickly and easily? I suppose too many people that take a first glance at such products and whatnot are just too damn pessimistic about their output, or potential popularity. Sorta like Firefly. Awesome show, Fox canned it because they didn't think people would be into a sci-fi western.

A few things I used to miss, thanks to recently taking up freelancing, and several different means of acquirement, I have been able to rekindle at least. From old PSX games and such, and hell, even taking a bike out around the block taking my old routes through town (at least, the neighborhood part). Such a colossal difference between going around the block in my car, and riding a bike along the same path. I've noticed I've been going outside for a bike more often again. Heck, even my old imagination while biking has been recharging. Had some fun games running in my head everytime I went out for a ride. Essentially made myself a Panzer Dragoon style game that uses the landscape of the neighborhood as the course my dragon takes, passing cars and such as some targets to take down, and boss fights were endurance runs, risky paths, or looping around a condo parking lot a few times as if I'm battling a colossus.

Seems a bit weird doing this stuff again as an adult, but it feels good diving back into the past again.

And I agree about the installers of olde. They were pretty awesome and well made. I sorta wish I had some jobs where I got to make some of those.

Oh, and when it comes to the "unknown", you can always imagine things up, and try to place meaning in them, or better yet, exercise your imagination even further and give no initial meaning to them and 'research' them, their origins, and how they work, and why they work like they do. I came up with some of my best works that way. (SEE- Deathmask Frigate or the Darksul Race; surprisingly elaborate from such a simple idea to start from)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:22:55 pm by Itnetlolor »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »

I didn't know how badly I missed the DF music and intro movie until I listened to/saw it after resetting the init. For some reason, it gave me such a feeling of nostalgia - I haven't heard/seen them in about a year and a half. I have them on now.

Being able to feel like a total badass for owning a N64.

Hell. I feel like a total badass now because mine still works, and I have a really nice game collection. Kirby64 is the one that always ends up being stuck in it, though.

I miss legal gunpowder and when you could actually see things go boom in physics/chemistry

fixed that for you.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 10:36:26 pm »

Back in the early 2000's, when Digimon was the best thing ever, there was this online Korean game called "Digimon Online". No, not the godawful RPG. It was very much like Gunbound, except....better in every way. And Digimon-themed, with surprisingly attractive 2D graphics.

Me and three or four friends played the hell out of it at the time. Then, one day, abruptly, it was gone. There'd been some kind of event weekend where everyone got the normally-subscription-only bonuses just before it went, but not being able to read Korean we didn't realize what it signified until it was over.

I loved that game...and because it was online-only, it's really and truly gone forever. There's barely even any record on the internet of it ever existing now. Neither Gunbound nor Worms or any other similar game has ever been able to fill the hole it left in my heart.  :'(

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 12:50:42 am »

Hey, I think I played that once. I loved it too.

I miss those shoestring potatoes. They're kind of like french fries but cold and smaller and a lot crispier and probably healthier too. I stole got some from a friend but then I ate them all and now I don't know where to get any besides stealing from asking him.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 04:17:40 am »

I was just reminded of another thing I miss:

Sitting out on the sidewalk, playing Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh with the other kids on the cul de sac. Extreme battles, intense card trading, and getting ripped off by the older kids during said card trading. Good times...

oh, and feeling like a total badass for having a holographic card.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 05:34:19 am »

I miss living in the city I was born in, and all the places I have such great memories of as a kid...
I also miss Cartoon Network, heh! Especially Scooby Doo. Love that show. And Ed, Edd & Eddy, Cow & Chicken and all the other shows that made me the unbalanced weirdo I am today.

I miss my friend who moved two states away, and I miss the old mascots on things like Coco Pops and Kraft Peanut Butter. Seriously, what the hell is with the new guys? They look freakin' retarded, did the companies seriously pay someone to design them?!
Did they have complaints from people about the old ones or something?! Argh!!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:41 am »

Being able to eat and drink whatever I want, and not get fat.   :'(
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS. Made painfully clear to me with Thanksgiving, even though I didn't eat that much.

Also, I miss having friends who I actually did things with in the physical world on a regular basis. Even if was just go out to eat at a new restaurant. The last couple of years it feels like my core circle of real-world friends is more distant than some of my online friends. Doesn't help that I suck at staying in touch with people.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 12:35:22 pm »

1) Talespin. I used to make lego versions of the Seaduck and fly them around.
2) Free time to spend learning totally useless things.
3) Some friends, who've changed into people I don't recognize now.
4) How safe and utterly content I felt as a child.
5) Entire weeks dedicated to reading a new book series.
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 03:30:15 pm »

However weird this may sound, i miss the time where math was really easy. Like, add-two-numbers-together easy. Those were times, man! I didn't particularly enjoy the school though, good riddance to that.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »

However weird this may sound, i miss the time where math was really easy. Like, add-two-numbers-together easy. Those were times, man! I didn't particularly enjoy the school though, good riddance to that.

Funny, when I read this the first thing I thought of was missing basic integration from calculus, heh.  Strangely enough, I find calculus so much more fun and interesting than the statistical nonsense I'm frequently subjected to in graduate computer science classes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 04:58:33 pm »

Another thing I miss is doing random stuff with friends, nowadays it's mostly getting drunk or sitting in a bar talking the whole evening, where the hell did the adventuring and doing stupid thing go to?

Did we all just get older and grew out of that phase or am I not the only one who misses chasing around the park or playing hide'n'seek in an abandoned building, and this isn't childhood stuff either (it was a bit more extreme back then) this is stuff we did regularly a couple of years ago.

Dammit I hate growing older and I hate others doing the same X(
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 05:02:34 pm »

The touch of a woman.
The companionship of friends.
The belief that other people are generally good.
My ability to concentrate on something positive.
My belief that the future has to be better.

Now I am depressed.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 05:15:06 pm »

The touch of a woman.
The companionship of friends.
The belief that other people are generally good.
My ability to concentrate on something positive.
My belief that the future has to be better.

Now I am depressed.

There, there.

It can always get worse you know, like a zombie apocalypse or something.

Plus, it's mostly a thing of perspective, for example that belief in people that you lost now means that they can only suprise you pleasantly now, so there's something to look forward to ^^
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 05:19:23 pm »

Another thing I miss is doing random stuff with friends, nowadays it's mostly getting drunk or sitting in a bar talking the whole evening, where the hell did the adventuring and doing stupid thing go to?

Did we all just get older and grew out of that phase or am I not the only one who misses chasing around the park or playing hide'n'seek in an abandoned building, and this isn't childhood stuff either (it was a bit more extreme back then) this is stuff we did regularly a couple of years ago.
Aw shit, now i miss that too. :c
Fortunately i still have my bro to go on (mis)adventures with, if we feel like it. The frequency is declining though.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 08:05:13 pm »

The point.

Very annoying in exams when I read a question the wrong way.  :-\
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5