Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Nord Fortress  (Read 7005 times)

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nord Fortress
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:49:09 pm »

Being dirt poor, I haven't had enough money to buy Skyrim. Being unable to play this amazing game, I went for the next best thing.

Enter the fortress of Anriztirist. It is in a cold biome surrounded by mountains. Here are the following restrictions I will be playing under:

The entire city will be above ground.
Trade caravans will be kept outside of the city walls, always.
There will be a separate space for nords dwarves born in the city and those born outside of the city.
The S7 and their relations will get a special pantheon in the center of the city.
All non-norddwarf members will sleep in darkened alleyways, recieve the worst food, and generally treated with less respect than the toilet paper used by the S7.
If a mayor makes a harsh mandate, there will be an uprising via tantrum spiral. Always.
If any dragons or other special monsters show up, it will be the task of a signal nord dwarf to defeat it. This nord dwarf will be treated with great respect, and given the title Dovakhin.
All nordic dwarven dead will be in an intricate tomb beneath the city. If a necromancer is available, it will be locked down their to ensure that all bodies are undead. Always.
All non-nordicdwarven dead will be dumped outside and left to rot.
The fortress will drink mostly mead. When honey production becomes stable, it will drink nothing but mead.

This thread will chronicle the story of this fortress.

Comments? Suggestions?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Re: Nord Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:56:09 pm »

If only you could take up arms and walk amongst your dwarves, this would be better than Skyrim.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02:46 pm »

when the Sucker Dovakin is killed a new one is chosen at random from the untrained imigrants living in the slums.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:17 pm »

Well that's pretty much how you have to find the real Dohvakiin.
My Steam Account

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:33:18 pm »

Go back as an adventurer...

But before you do! Make sure to build a LOT of buildings, more than you would ever need, covering the entire embark. Store lots of useless crap in them, along with coins, low quality copper-iron weapons (all nords own weapons!), food and the likes. Then you can enjoy your new version of Skyrim.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:37:39 pm »

Markarth always reminded me of Dwarf Fortress...

"Even the beds are made of stone!"
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 11:43:15 pm »

I wish we could do that :(
My Steam Account

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:49:55 pm »

Mods.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 05:34:23 am »

Mods.

Or a lucky artifact
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:40 am »

Okay, embark.
I'm using the standard Stoners build, with one alteration; instead of a second miner, I'm getting a second mason (to build faster).

Also bringng some flux; I'm going to need steel, and without and flux to speak of in the embark (that I know of, anyway), I'll have to trade with the caravans.

Embark! Strike the earth! No, none of that.

Okay, embarked. Aaaand... holy shit. A great wide forested plain just ripe for building a city, with mountains ion two sides forming a natural fortress, with a river running through the middle? Yes please.
Okay, the experimental mine is three layers down. Aaaand.... holy shit. Iron, jet (for building), and DOLOMITE? Turns out there is flux here. Layers and layers of it. This is going to be one to watch.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:19:26 am by Casp »

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:10:04 am »

You don't have 60 dollars to buy Skyrim? Or is it just that you can't justify buying it at this time.

It just strikes me as odd that someone with a computer, access to internet etc wouldn't have 60 dollars of spending money to their name.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 08:17:53 am »

No, I'm not dirt poor, that was just a fun introduction to this thread. I'm not buying Skyrim because it's not really my sort of thing, and I did this for lulz.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 08:53:52 am »

I was wondering if anyone would pick up this idea. When I remembered DF had Mead in it...

Still good luck! I like to make settlements, but I end up always getting displeased with my town layout...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 09:21:55 am »

You don't have 60 dollars to buy Skyrim? Or is it just that you can't justify buying it at this time.

It just strikes me as odd that someone with a computer, access to internet etc wouldn't have 60 dollars of spending money to their name.

You'd be surprised.  Life isn't always clear-cut or sensible.  I have internet, a computer etc. but that's because I needed it for job hunting.  Many people do, and it doesn't leave much for extras.  I don't have skyrim because this laptop is too low-powered.

nyway, back on topic, this looks Fun, and I'll be watching.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 09:50:42 am »

So yeah, got a farm and a stock pile, working on getting the workshops going. The summer migrants arrived, had to build a bridge across the river. All useless, except for a skilled beekeeper, which, considering all the mead we'll be drinking, is pretty much a godsend. When food production is stable, I'll start work on dividing up the bedrooms. Right now, everyone just sleeps in the grass, but they're mostly fine with it. The farm isn't really being used due to lack of seeds, but when the stocks of food we brought on embark run out, they oughta start eating the strawberries that an herbalist gathered and start growing them.
Pages: [1] 2 3