Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners as viable soldiers?  (Read 580 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Miners as viable soldiers?
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:19:44 pm »

So, I read that the the Mining skill determines the skill with a pickaxe, both in working and in combat. This said, does that mean a legendary miner with good armor will devastate goblins in combat?

Edit: If the mining skill actually effects combat skill with a pickaxe that is.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Miners as viable soldiers?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:27:30 pm »

If you can get the miner fighting with a pick and not just defending themselves when cornered, yes. Picks are good weapons. To do this you'd need to skill the miner up and then put them in the military like any other dwarf. Like any other dwarf, they need to have the Mining / Woodcutting / Hunting labours disabled first. Then they need to have a uniform that specifies 'pick' as a weapon.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:28:41 pm »

If the mining skill actually effects combat skill with a pickaxe that is.
It does. See the above comment, though.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:30:33 pm »

They apparently work a lot like spears, so keep that in mind for what purposes you send them out for.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:31:30 pm »

This seems exploitable?
Train up a couple hundred (no not actually that many) legendary miners, give them good picks and armor, then disable their job and make them warriors.
My Steam Account

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:33:50 pm »

It is, but for some reason it's not used very often. Maybe because by the time you've got miners to spare, your forces are trained anyway and have better defensive skills than a miner recruit.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:36:47 pm »

I tend to have tons of legendary miners before I have skilled soldiers, maybe I'm doin' it wrong. Really wrong.
My Steam Account

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 09:58:28 pm »

Depends on what you called skilled. If you mean Skilled, then that's odd. If you mean Legendary in everything like in 40d, that's pretty standard.

When it comes to military I leave them in small squads, have them train all the time (and give them their own rooms, right next to the barracks, to offset bad thoughts), and reduce downtime as much as possible by using waterskins. I recently found out that active military dwarves won't use the fancypants dining room like everyone else, so backpacks will cut down on eating time even if dwarves do refill their backpacks every time a meal is consumed. Really, reducing downtime is the most important thing. If they're wandering around pathing to a bed or a food or drink stockpile or standing around for a couple of days with a barrel clamped against their lips, they're not training.

You could keep them in larger squads and have fewer of them training, but having the same dwarves training together all the time pools their skills better. All you need is one dwarf to show the others how it's done.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:00:29 pm »

Aight thanks for the quick replies.
My Steam Account

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:28:12 am »

Bear in mind, though, that training mining trains some pretty important attributes too, like Strenght and Endurance, and considerably faster than conventional military training. Even if you don't use pick as a weapon, it pays to train your soldiers as miners.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 12:09:36 pm »

Bear in mind, though, that training mining trains some pretty important attributes too, like Strenght and Endurance, and considerably faster than conventional military training. Even if you don't use pick as a weapon, it pays to train your soldiers as miners.

I tend to disagree with this. Sparring gets physical stats up pretty quick, and more importantly, it trains agility as well as strength and endurance. Any time that you spend having your soldiers mine is time that you should have been letting them spar.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 02:41:21 pm »

If you don't mind cheaty face approaches, you can actually use a danger room to train miners - that way you can get miners who can mine minerals without creating massive holes in the earth that suck your FPS (the invers of mining to train for combat).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 02:51:49 pm »

I tend to disagree with this. Sparring gets physical stats up pretty quick, and more importantly, it trains agility as well as strength and endurance. Any time that you spend having your soldiers mine is time that you should have been letting them spar.
The thing is... you can MAKE them mine. They only spar if they feel like it.

I can have my solder miners cut a swath through the mountain pausing only to eat and drink and sleep. If I set them to spar they will sometimes do so... then sometimes they'll attend useless dodging demonstrations which never get organized, and other times they'll sit around the barracks doing nothing.