Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Starting with a Doctor  (Read 6188 times)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting with a Doctor
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »

I see this in a lot of starter builds, but am starting to wonder, is it really necessary?  Most often its a few points in diagnostics, and one point each in the other !!medical sciences!!, but that just seems like a waste to me.  I almost always get another diagnostics type dwarf in among my migrants, and far as I can tell, having only novice ranks is a complete waste except for certain skills where it opens a specific menu.   Add this in with the fact that enemies are fairly easy to hold off in the early years, and it just starts to feel.. meh.

So far Ive been trying out things like mixing my doc with my broker build, but most of the time the dumb bastard ends up becoming an accomplished flower picker/wood chopper, or otherwise sitting on his hands.  Of course, I have a horrible time of constantly starting a new game, and as of yet have not witnessed a full on siege. 

So I ask you, bring a doctor on embark, or just keep your extra (and actually useful) dwarf out of harms way until the real McCoy comes along?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Starting with a Doctor
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »

All of my doctors are either migrants or conscripts, I never put any points into the medical skills. I have a pretty high rate of infection but that's probably also because by the time my forts big enough to worry about things like soap non-fatal injuries aren't very common.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:07:12 pm »

The only reason I could see for starting with a doctor is:

*Megaproject/!!SCIENCE!!;
*Aesthetics/Self imposed rules.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:15:37 pm »

You might want a doctor if you're embarking in a particularly dangerous embark. Otherwise it's just insurance incase you just get migrants with terrible skills.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:21:16 pm »

You might want a doctor if you're embarking in a particularly dangerous embark. Otherwise it's just insurance incase you just get migrants with terrible skills.

But if you need a doctor early on, you're pretty much already screwed.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:27:33 pm »

I embark with a dwarf with Diagnostician and Engineering skills pumped up.   I figure, there's not that much difference between building a spear trap and fixing a dwarf's heart, right?

From what the forums and wiki seem to have gathered, Diagnostics is one of the the most important medical skills, as a poorly-trained diagnostician can make the wrong diagnosis, which can end up with dwarves dying.  The other skills, surgery, bone setting, etc, are apparently more a matter of how quickly and cleanly they happen as opposed to how effectively.

I also have lousy luck ever getting diagnosticians immigrating.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 05:31:33 pm »

The only time I ever invest in medical skills when I give my craftdwarf suturing.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 05:36:46 pm »

But if you need a doctor early on, you're pretty much already screwed.

Debatable. Out of my last few embarks, I haven't ever gotten any migrants with any medical skills...

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:56:27 pm »

Even though I probably don't need one, I embark with a doctor.  Other skills are fairly easy to train on the job, but there tends to be a shortage of patients, so doctors can't just train up from nothing the way a miner or a mason could.  I'd rather waste the couple points on a doctor than have to resort to making Urist McButcher a makeshift surgeon.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good way to train doctors?  Giving random dorfs wounds without killing them outright seems fairly hard.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:57:43 pm »

I always start with one of my dwarves dedicated to medical skills.  Admittedly, this may be a waste of a starting position as I've almost never needed a doctor within the first year, and he mostly ends up being a hauler till I get a hospital built.  It does have the advantage of letting me get a good look at everyone's personality before picking who gets to be the doctor.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 06:10:55 pm »

Even though I probably don't need one, I embark with a doctor.  Other skills are fairly easy to train on the job, but there tends to be a shortage of patients, so doctors can't just train up from nothing the way a miner or a mason could.  I'd rather waste the couple points on a doctor than have to resort to making Urist McButcher a makeshift surgeon.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good way to train doctors?  Giving random dorfs wounds without killing them outright seems fairly hard.

1, 2~ drop

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 06:11:28 pm »

I need help with this as well.  After two Forgotten Beasts, I realized all injuries my soldiers sustained were either negligible or fatal, so my doctor had nobody to practice on.  I tried to have a dwarf deconstruct a tile beneath himself to fall one z-level, but it turned out that it was an up stair which supported a down stair above.  The deconstructor died immediately, another dwarf suffocated a few seconds later, and a third died before reaching the hospital.

I am apparently terrible at "controlled accidents."  What do you guys do?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »

Use a retractable bridge :)

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 06:20:35 pm »

How far do you drop them, and how bad are their injuries?  I'm afraid I might blow off their limbs and have them bleed out.

I was thinking of making a room separated with an impassable channel in the middle.  Have victims future patients stand on one side and then collapse a constructed wall into the other side, letting the cave in dust hit them.  ...Reading that, it sounds a lot more dangerous than it did in my head.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »

Assign them full armor except gauntlets and place them in a danger room, eventually they'll shatter a finger and they might become a little badass at the same time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4