Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: More Ghost Science!  (Read 31872 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: More Ghost Science!
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 06:47:41 pm »

Have you done any art desecration--train up to mastery, engrave destroy, repeat.  I think it is an huge happiness blow--far bigger than losing a family member.
That was the original plan at Chirpacted 1, it's difficult and time consuming to train them up and art desecration is base damage/number of masterpieces so theoretically destroying a hundred masterpieces from a dwarf with 100 masterpieces isn't any bigger of a mood hit than destroying 1 masterpiece from a dwarf with 1 masterpiece. Pet death does a fixed amount of unhappiness each time it occurs and is much much quicker.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 07:08:06 pm »

This is pretty epic.  Posting to watch.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 07:15:44 pm »

Are dwarves that have failed a mood different from dwarves that have gone insane because of unhappiness?  If not, why don't you just wait for your first moody dwarf and then make sure he fails.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 11:57:16 pm »

Because that would be less fun than this torture !!SCIENCE!!.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

mendota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 01:56:02 am »

The notes from the experiment are just pitch-perfect. I don't think anything quite sums up the insanity of dorfish science than what's happening right here.  :D

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 11:04:09 am »

Have you tried to put something burning into a nearby pit? The smoke may be just enough to drive them over the edge.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 11:21:37 am »

IF you want insane dwarves, do what I did. Let him become friends with other dwarves, then kill those friends. It generates more ghosts, too.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 02:35:22 pm »

Have you tried to put something burning into a nearby pit? The smoke may be just enough to drive them over the edge.
I'll try that with one of the subjects but even being choked with smoke and set on fire wasn't enough to keep Subject 2 down. For the moment my objective is to put out the fires because because coal burns for a REALLY long time. My dwarves are pouring water into the pit but it turns to steam before it gets high enough to reach the fire. On a positive note I'm now integrating dwarven incinerators into all of my fortresses, the coal is burning hot enough to melt the stones on the floor into DIY magma.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 02:41:56 pm »

It might be quicker and easier to just build a new test chamber.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 03:15:43 pm »

I'm rather disappointed that subject two was killed instead of appointed to the highest position of honor in the fortress, however it just may be more interesting to see what he does in undeath.

Also, everything about this study was dorfy BEFORE you made your own magma, now it's just mind blowing. I may have to get genesis and see what happens when a dorf walks through molten steel. Best case scenario a dorf will never lose a foot. Worst case scenario the dwarven mafia will be the first to reliably have dorfs wear -Lead Shoes-
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 03:40:42 pm »

2 Timber 6

Subject 3 has been chosen. Olon Fokerfikod, Miner has fallen in love with Zuntir Itod Expidition leader. He will be driven insane and then killed to test two fold the impact of mental state on a ghost and the effect of relationships in life on behavior after death. He has been assigned to chamber one we have begun pelting him, with garbage depriving him of basic necessities and assigning him pets to murder. The waiting game has begun.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 04:47:30 pm »

Hahaha!

This is so cool.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 04:56:42 pm »

Posting to watch.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 04:57:03 pm »

4 Moonstone 6 Chirpacted II

Subject two's resilience has left us with a very small number of dogs, butchering anymore would result in a population too small to reliably breed in the near future. The dogs which were assigned to Subject Two will instead serve in death to torment Subject Three. We've filled the chamber waist high with water and created a vile slurry of fetid dog tallow and scraps of dog flesh. He will live and sleep in the slop and it will provide his only source of food and drink as well.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 05:03:18 pm »

Shit man, !!SCIENCE!! is brutal.
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9