Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: using axedwarfs as lumberjacks. Is it possible?  (Read 602 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
using axedwarfs as lumberjacks. Is it possible?
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:44:06 pm »

Here is my situation: I embarked with one hunter, 2 axes and 2 picks. I thought: since I have so many weapons it would be good if dwarves who work with these tools could use these weapons right away. So I created a squad with one marksdwarf (and assigned him his crosbow), 2 axedwarves (assigned them their axes), two miners (assigned them their picks) and two poor fellows - wrestlers. I used no-uniform template and just assigned each of them individual weapon.
The idea was - when I will need military - I'll just order them something and they will immidiately obey, as they are already equiped.

For some reason they just remained standing still regardless of designations (some digging, some copping.)

When I ordered them to move as a squad - they took their weapons and moved.
When I cancelled station order - they dropped their weapons and hurried to the wagon to chat.

So my question is: is it possible to have dwarves use their weapons as tools? Or any assigned weapons are excluded from tools pool?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: using axedwarfs as lumberjacks. Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:55:14 pm »

Hunters, woodcutters, and miners have an invisible uniform that precludes them from wearing any other so long as those labours are active.

Short answer: no, you can't have a dwarf use a job-weapon as a combat-weapon, and vice versa. The exception (sort of) would be the fortress guard and their crossbows, which are used at range on enemies and in melee on criminals.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 02:56:55 pm »

Currently active miners, woodcutters, or hunters have a unstated "uniform" that almost always conflicts with their military ones. As such it is extremely difficult, if not downright impossible, to have hunters, woodcutters, or miners function as military dwarves while still having those labors enabled.

Edit: Arrghh! Ninja'd! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 03:07:11 am »

There was another thread recently that had the solution to the invisible uniform crisis (anyone got a link?). Basically, it's done through assigning specific weapons. Assign the specific weapon the dwarf uses for it's civilian job and another specific weapon for fighting weapon. They must both be separate and specific, and not in use by another dwarf. I haven't tried it myself, it sounds very tedious.

If they are in civilian mode, they will still run away unless cornered. However, a civilian with a crossbow will still shoot it if they are far enough away to not be scared.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:30:55 pm »

I can't even give my miners waterskins. I definitely seen an advice to give miners watersins somewhere on the wiki. Is this a bug in current version? or am I doing something wrong?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:38:17 pm »

I can't even give my miners waterskins. I definitely seen an advice to give miners watersins somewhere on the wiki.
It can't be done, since equipping waterskins requires putting them in the military (which you cannot do). Please find exactly where on the wiki you saw that advice so that I can remove it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 05:08:16 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Exploratory_mining#Dangers
Dehydration - dwarves are quite task oriented and may forget to break for a drink! (Consider giving miners waterskins)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:21:09 pm »

Said comment has been removed - not only was the solution invalid (due to uniform conflicts), but the danger itself is nonexistent (it was due to a bug which was fixed about a year and a half ago).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.