Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So far, my shortest fortress - I should have called it "Bullseye"  (Read 1034 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The seven had just set down the cart with their meager belongings, when the miner felt the urge to dig a singular long stairway down, looking for caves or the nice warm stone that indicates magma for the forges. If there were any caves, he missed them widely. He never found warm stone, either.

Then, there were two messages: "Raw adamantine! Praise the miners!", shortly followed by something about "howling" and "eery glowing pits"...

The fun was short.
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
Re: So far, my shortest fortress - I should have called it "Bullseye"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:11:33 pm »

Hahaha that is such tremendous bad luck...

When the message about adamantine came up and paused the game, I think you would have had time to notice the raw adamantine floor the miner was about to dig in to.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:21:40 pm »

what about if you simply did some exploratory mining on the average magma/caves level?
I did that on a fort where I missed caves and found out I missed them for some tiles on a floor.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 02:01:30 am »

what about if you simply did some exploratory mining on the average magma/caves level?
I did that on a fort where I missed caves and found out I missed them for some tiles on a floor.
Well, digging down to the magma sea (or at least the warm stone on top of it) is something I usually do as starting move. I usually find the one or other cave on the way down, and have to work my way around it. But to know where the magma for the forges is[1] helps me laying out the general plan of the fortress.

After that, I usually dig out a bit of clay for the temporary living and working areas, and only after that I have a serious look at the caves.

With my current "main fort", I also missed the caves on the first dig. I found one by prying a gem from the staircases' wall ;)

Christian

[1] I'm not (yet) fond of moving magma all over the place
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!