Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How to fix corporate corruption  (Read 5082 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: How to fix corporate corruption
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:35 pm »

As far as I'm aware it wasn't illegal, just highly deceptive and unethical. And from a business standpoint, self-defeating in the long-term since you typically paid out more for an employee as a contractor (middleman inflation) than you did when they were on the payroll. So you doubled the labor cost, but on paper you slashed the in-house labor cost and made the company profitable. So the CEO got rewarded with a big fat bonus and then skipped town before the company collapsed. It's like playing a serious exploit game of Capitalism or a Railroad Tycoon game where you abuse the hell out of the stock market and wind up using your railroad/corporation as your own personal money spigot, without any care for the damage you cause to the corporate bottom line or the shareholders.

(Which is one reason I love Railroad Tycoon, because that shit actually happened...railroad financial shenanigans nearly destroyed the US economy half a dozen times in the 1800's.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 03:58:20 pm »

As much as I hate corperate lobbying, there's no way to completely stop that, since they already have "fundraisers" and "committies" just so they can get around those kind of things, and get a tax reduction as a bonus.

I'd reather prefer complete trasparency. They can donate as they like, but then people will be able to see it.

003): Goods by a corperation that have been made outside of their home country (such as via outsoursing) will be subject to tariffs

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 04:14:19 pm »

As much as I hate corperate lobbying, there's no way to completely stop that, since they already have "fundraisers" and "committies" just so they can get around those kind of things, and get a tax reduction as a bonus.

I'd reather prefer complete trasparency. They can donate as they like, but then people will be able to see it.

003): Goods by a corperation that have been made outside of their home country (such as via outsoursing) will be subject to tariffs

Meh....high tariff protectionism isn't really the way to go either. For one thing, get ready to pay a shit-ton more for every electronic device you own. Because semiconductor production is massively outsourced to East Asia and has been for roughly 20 years now. The vast majority of clothing is made in South Asia or Latin America. There's any number of products that are made overseas which even with the tariffs would be cheaper for the parent company to produce overseas. Meanwhile, they'll just pass the tariff cost along to consumers and blame Congress for the increase.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 04:14:58 pm »

Nowadays they use employment agencies. That way, not only can they take your benefits, they can lift an additional 2$ from your hourly wage!
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 04:15:53 pm »

004) Any profits moved overseas still count as profits, with the maximum potential tax on them being equal to the difference between our tax rate and the tax rate the profits are declared in.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 04:22:05 pm »

As far as I'm aware it wasn't illegal, just highly deceptive and unethical.
Technically, the way a lot of companies do it is extremely illegal. There are legal ways to do it, but most companies don't bother. I forget the name of the agency that enforces it, but they've been underfunded for a while. They do act, but their reach is limited and the consequences are minimal, often being reduced to what is basically a warning.

The IRS is often not so big on it as well, since the companies that do it usually screw up their taxes in the process.

It's possible yours did it the "right" way of course, which is still pretty despicable.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 04:47:21 pm »

Meh....high tariff protectionism isn't really the way to go either. For one thing, get ready to pay a shit-ton more for every electronic device you own. Because semiconductor production is massively outsourced to East Asia and has been for roughly 20 years now. The vast majority of clothing is made in South Asia or Latin America. There's any number of products that are made overseas which even with the tariffs would be cheaper for the parent company to produce overseas. Meanwhile, they'll just pass the tariff cost along to consumers and blame Congress for the increase.

Ugh, good point. In all reality, most products are sold for several times more than what the good going in them cost, and it's hard to believe the extra cost is from labor when it was probably made by some kid in Taiwan or China in a sweat shop for pennies an hour. But your right, any cost increase on their side would just cause prices to shoot up again and the politic game keeps going. Of course prices go up anyway for stupid reasons. Gas prices are so fickle that someone farting over in Saudi Arabia would cause them to go up another quarter. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:00:57 pm by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 04:56:40 pm »

I agree with 001 and 002, and I'm a no for 003 and 004.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 05:09:35 pm »

I don't mind paying more for electronics if I have a job making semiconductors. It's better than scavenging what I can without one probably.

That said, you are very right about tariffs. I would think that in order to combat an initial reduction of supply caused by tariffs a domestic industry would have to be shaped prior in order to be able to beat foreign prices just enough that the tariffs are effective while at the same time meeting enough of demand that the initial price spike is less severe before manufacturers can fully meet demand.

As for clothing, I just did a quick google search, found a made in America store, and learned that a pair of jeans cost 50$. While I won't make comparisons on quality, my desire to not spend money on foreign goods (due to the concept of money supply rather than a superiority complex) is greatly diminished at that price.

Historically, when things like these prices happen, people choose substitutes for their normal purchases. In this instance it's the cheaper foreign made good. Often this is a cause of monetary issues, in this case I would say it's partially due to the dollar's gradual decline and mostly due to the money supply. Specifically, the fact that wealth is accumulating in the hands of fewer people. While this might initially sound like an uninventive liberal proclamation, the fact is that it in fact has severe economic repurcussions. Three I can think of are 1: The people who have money can spend more. and 2: Those that do not have money don't spend much at all, and 3: The people who have money often let it 'sit' in  a bank somewhere, and who knows what mystical dimension they keep it in. Of these three the 3: is arguably the least important in this case and probably the most difficult to fix. Yes, I know bank money doesn't 'sit,' it's fairly active in stocks and loans and such but by doing these things they contribute to 1 and 2 over a period of time, and it still 'sits' for the people who made the deposit at record low interest rates.

1: is a problem because if they are willing to pay more for the luxury goods, it will raise prices due to business being able to charge that much. In non-luxury goods such as clothing in times like these most people make do with substitutes (foreign goods in this case) because they don't have the money to buy American Made. This contracts the money supply of most of the population as at least a portion of it flows overseas.

2: is the most severe problem, as people don't have the money to spend. This is because not only is it the case where only the wealthy can hold onto their money supply over the long term, as in a clothing example American made costs more; but also because economists have become dreamy eyed at the thought of finding the spot of the most profit per item instead of finding the way to produce the most at a profit in my opinion.

That said, would tariffs affect these issues positively? In the long term, yes, they could be a very good thing. That said, tariffs have proven so volatile in the past that politicians probably HATE them. That said, oftentimes it felt when I was reading about them that they were often poorly implemented and not well thought out. I'm probably forgetting an attempt somewhere that was but oh well. Mostly though it seems like a tariff would be something you would have to start planning say 5 years in advance?  ;)

That way the government can do what it does anyways and spend money for business in shaping a new (old?) domestic industry, but this time it would be more constructive than usual in that it wouldn't be in a layman's (myself included as I shouldn't have to worry about this stuff for free) view the standard 'Here's your loan, do whatever the hell you want with it as long as we get paid before the next election."
EDIT2: Auto bailout was great though, unless the companies pulled a fast one that I don't know about. Houses in Detroit could be bought for 10$ at that time. Probably not a lot better now but at least Detroit doesn't have the national guard stationed where it used to be.

EDIT:

EDIT3: Also

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monetary_base

and

EDIT3?:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So the poor people have little money, the wealthy have too much, and money supply is high but concentrated and prices are increasing despite and because of this.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:36:08 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 05:15:52 pm »

Can I suggest an adaption to 003?

Perhaps have a scaling tariff that's based upon the income the manufacturing employees make in the other country. If their base pay is roughly in line with ours, then the tariff is low, or even non-existant. But if the overseas employees (manufacturing employees, specifically.) are being paid signficiantly less than, just for example, the minimum wage here, then the tariff goes up. That way overseas companies are given incentive to pay people reasonable wages.

I do realize I haven't thought this all out. One of many possible consequences is the potential to completely wreck a developing economy if suddenly you have a lot of people making 8 currencies an hour when they used to get 1 or 2.

But if anyone can further refine this, feel free.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 05:21:52 pm »

I agree with 001 and 002, and I'm a no for 003 and 004.
So, what exactly is the problem you have with 004?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 05:26:01 pm »

005): This.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 05:33:05 pm »

The purpose of this post is to begin a discussion concerning what 10 edicts (totally arbitrary) could be made, that could significantly curb corporate greed. Even if not ever implemented by the Government, corporations could pledge to follow these edicts.
That's not a edict, its a book.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 05:59:37 pm »

Ugh, good point. In all reality, most products are sold for several times more than what the good going in them cost, and it's hard to believe the extra cost is from labor when it was probably made by some kid in Taiwan or China in a sweat shop for pennies an hour. But your right, any cost increase on their side would just cause prices to shoot up again and the politic game keeps going. Of course prices go up anyway for stupid reasons. Gas prices are so fickle that someone farting over in Saudi Arabia would cause them to go up another quarter.
This stuff reminds me of Jennifer Government, in particular this reminds me of this bit of it:

... “Now. What do you know about Nike Mercurys?”

Hack blinked. “They’re our latest product. I haven’t actually seen a pair, but... I heard they’re great.”

The Johns smiled. “We started selling Mercurys six months ago. You know how many pairs we’ve shifted since then?”

Hack shook his head. They cost thousands of dollars a pair, but that wouldn’t stop people from buying them. They were the hottest sneakers in the world. “A million?”

“Two hundred.”

“Two hundred million?”

“No, two hundred pairs.”

“John here,” the other John said, “pioneered the concept of marketing by refusing to sell any products. It drives the market insane.”

“And now it’s time to cash in. On Friday we’re gonna dump four hundred thousand pairs on the market at two and a half grand each.”

“Which, since they cost us—what was it?”

“Eighty-five.”

“Since they cost us eighty-five cents to manufacture, gives us a gross margin of around one billion dollars.” He looked at Vice-President John. “It’s a brilliant campaign.”

Has anybody noticed that the only thing the economics of scale seems to work in favour of is profit margins of the top percentile?

Just a thought.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 06:01:51 pm »

I've never heard of this book; thanks for the link. With the power of Project Gutenburg it is on my phone, to be read during my daily commute. Thanks.

Can you summarize it to a sentence or two, to fit our 10 edicts format?

twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4