Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cannot deconstruct old wagons..  (Read 1995 times)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cannot deconstruct old wagons..
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:33:06 am »

So I was fishing for a good smithy, and hit the wrong button a couple times.. long story short, I have a few wagons from my old, aborted embarks sitting on my (awesome) property.   There is no problem highlighting them, I can even see they are full of items and such, but when I mark them for deconstruction, nothing happens.  My carpenter goes about his business making beds and things, then sits around on his arse and ignores the job.   Ive tried resetting the job several times.. nada.   

What gives?  Is it a reclaim bug?  Kind of annoying, as they are sitting right where I would like to build a drawbridge over a deep chasm. 

On a similar note, is there some way to remove the site as an embarked upon site in my world file?  Would like to have the world just fresh, just in case.  I am getting "failure to generate text" error messages already as it is. =(

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot deconstruct old wagons..
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:59:53 am »

Is the wagon, or its logs, forbidden?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:01:50 am »

You can't remove sites. You can get the worldgen details by pressing Escape and exporting a local image of the map, which will put the worldgen parameters in the folder DF is in.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 02:20:51 pm »

Hmm.. i didnt notice the possibility, will check to see, hope its as simple as that.   EDIT:  I can neither claim nor forbid them, there simply is no such option.  Of the few items I can see inside of them, I can forbid/claim the rotting meat and the seeds, but not such things as an anvil or some malachite ore.   

You can't remove sites. You can get the worldgen details by pressing Escape and exporting a local image of the map, which will put the worldgen parameters in the folder DF is in.

Lolwut?  (/laughing pear picture)  Worldgen details, does that mean I can recreate the entire world, rather than removing the site?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:29:36 pm by daggaz »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:29:07 pm »

Yep. It's all generated from a seed.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 02:31:16 pm »

oh sweet, thought i had read that this game produces wildly variating worlds from the same seed, but maybe that was because somebody was modding or something or other.   Will read up on seeds and try that out, im not very far along with my fort at all.  Thanks guys.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 02:43:06 pm »

World generation is pseudo-random instead of truly random, which means that if you enter the same worldgen parameters twice using the same RNG you'll get the same world twice. If you go into the DF folder and then data/init/world_gen.txt you'll see the full parameters for each of the presets. There are four parameters missing from those: SEED, HISTORY_SEED, NAME_SEED, and CREATURE_SEED. The first of these controls the geography of the world, and the rest of them what goes into it and what goes on in it. Once you export a local image you'll get a big list of parameters which is like the presets, but has those four parameters set.

From there you can make certain tweaks to the parameters and still get essentially the same world. Changing the worldgen end date is safe enough. I've used that to embark the year my civ should be dying out.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 02:54:52 pm »

Try if it's deconstructed by a cave-in. Build some floors on the z-levels above it, etc, etc.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:00:03 pm »

Just want to point out a few things about world gen relationship with seeds. First of all changing almost anything in the raws can result in a different world. Adding more minerals, for example, can effect the terrain of a given world. Also the other thing is that the Mac, Linux, and Windows versions each use slightly different methods of rounding values. While this often has no effect, sometimes said rounding will result in the rejection/acceptance of a world differently from on a different OS, therefore resulting in a completely different world then before.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »

so i went into advanced world gen and input those four seed values.. and.. does it usually take this long to gen the world?  when i use the normal world gen function, it maybe takes 1 or 2 minutes, my comp has been at it for like 10 or 15 now.  (and this is the same world supposedly that my comp already built once)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 03:50:30 pm »

Did you use the same world size? Are all of the other parameters the same?

The seed values alone are only sufficient if you're using an established set of other parameters (e.g. "LARGE ISLAND", "MEDIUM REGION", etc.).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:53 pm »

Did you use the same world size? Are all of the other parameters the same?

The seed values alone are only sufficient if you're using an established set of other parameters (e.g. "LARGE ISLAND", "MEDIUM REGION", etc.).

lol, no just realized that the history was running WAY past the normal length, paused gen and check and its not even close to teh same world.  I should have known nothing in DF would be simple, especially not world generation.  =P

(in blasphemous minecraft, you just enter the one seed.  how frightfully...  undwarfish.) 

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 04:32:33 pm »

In case any other newbs are reading this,  in another thread which took me awhile to find:
That's what ext0l was saying. Go into your saved game, push escape, go to export local images and choose to export. In your Dwarf Fortress directory will be a bunch of stuff including the exact worldgen parameters with seeds. You just copy that information into worldgen.txt (give it a custom name so you know which it is) and you can regenerate the world clean from there.

So what I did was export my local images, find the parameters file that is generated with those images (you can click the bmp to check its actually your world), open that file, and copy it the text.  Then I went into data/init/ and found the worldgen parameter txt file.  save a copy of this file as something else beforehand (like worldgen_DEFAULT or whatever).  Now go in, and paste your wanted paramters into the correct section, and save the file without changing the name. Then load up the game and hit advanced world gen.  There should be an option at the top right where it says create and lists a seed number, which matches the one you just copy pasted in.   Go ahead and hit this.  Everything else just happens automatically and you get the same exact world.

Just adding this in, cuz it took me a half an hour now to figure it all out with liberal use of google-foo. 

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 04:56:28 pm »

You dont have to save a copy of the world_gen file and/or paste over the info already in there. You can just paste to the end of the file and change the title line to something you want. (for example [TITLE:Awsome world])
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »

Hmm.. i didnt notice the possibility, will check to see, hope its as simple as that.   EDIT:  I can neither claim nor forbid them, there simply is no such option.  Of the few items I can see inside of them, I can forbid/claim the rotting meat and the seeds, but not such things as an anvil or some malachite ore.   

You tried using mass reclaim with d-b-c, I presume? Is it also impossible in the z-menu inventory?
Using "t" on the wagon, does it list 3 forbidden logs? (or in the detailed inventory z-screen)

Could be a bug, though.
Pages: [1] 2