Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: THE JEDI ARE ATTACKING!  (Read 6227 times)

Crozarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
THE JEDI ARE ATTACKING!
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:52:36 am »

I was doing pretty well for my self of DF when suddenly a goblin ambush, made entirely out of LASHERS.

They're like fucking lightsabres. They block everything my Axedwarves throw at them, then suddenly counterstrike, lash my guy in the thumb, then pierce his skull through a masterwork copper helm with one shot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say, everyone who has even SEEN one of the Axesdwarves from a distance has a temper tantrum, during which most of my Medics had their faces eaten.

/Tantrum Spiral

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: THE JEDI ARE ATTACKING!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:01:27 am »

And goblins are green, so they're sort of like yoda.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Crozarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:17:19 am »

So, in the rapidly descending pit of depravity that was my fortress, a Farmer jumps up and makes one of my Dwarves into a necklace.

I've gathered my 'Sane' Dwarves and moved them to the Mausoleum and locked the doors, where they can be safe with the food I've put there and they can wait out the raging madness above. On that note, I'd better seal the fortress as well. On the other hand, that guy JUST broke the lever. Well fuck.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:25:06 am »

In my most recent siege, there was a goblin master lasher leading a group of bowgoblins. The master lasher had a silver scourge and was fighting all 10 of my heavily equipped warriors at once.

The Goblin Master Lasher lashes The Warrior in the left hand with his silver scourge, fracturing the bone through the adamantine left gauntlet!

Then he lashed by militia commander in the upper arm, bruising the muscle through an artifact adamantine mail shirt.

Soon after, he had his weapon arm cut off and died quickly. Scary stuff.

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:27:05 am »

Well Lashers are the scourge of every living thing in this game.

Basically anything that feels pain in Dwarf Fortress is bonked in the backside because a Lasher will make him his bitch.

I suggest If you manage to win against those goblins you take their whips and scourges and create your own squad with whip bastards.
Goblins will rue the day they use superior weaponry on dwarvenkind.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:49:44 am »

Well Lashers are the scourge of every living thing in this game.
I sure do hope that this is an unintentional pun.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:41:18 am »

Well, I guess someone here explained it quite good a while ago (dunno who):
Dwarfes have the Atomsmasher-bridge
Elves have mighty beasts
Humans....are poor.
As an answer to the first 2 races, the goblins invented the atomic whip, all of it's weight centered in one atom at the tip, creating nuclear explosions by splitting the molecules of whatever they hit.
That is their effectiveness....
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 10:04:13 am »

Then he lashed by militia commander in the upper arm, bruising the muscle through an artifact adamantine mail shirt.

Soon after, he had his weapon arm cut off and died quickly. Scary stuff.

Addy mail shirts are horrible at lashing protection - they're blunt weapons like anything else.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:12:15 am »

Yeah whips basically function as lightsabers in the game. They just slice through everything like the whips are a hot knife, and your dwarves are butter.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:53 am »

I pretty much mod out lashes if I want the combat to be enjoyable. Call me a heretic, but losing a bunch of lightsaber wielding goblins is no fun to me.

It also kind of puzzles me why this hasn't been remedied yet in the vanilla game. I imagine even a small number tweak could improve the situation ten fold.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:17:29 am by Jelle »

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 11:18:34 am »

I pretty much mod out lashes if I want the combat to be enjoyable. Call me a heretic, but losing a bunch of lightsaber wielding goblins is no fun to me.

It also kind of puzzles me why this hasn't been remedied yet in the vanilla game. I imagine even a small number tweak could improve the situation ten fold.

There is some kind of suggested fix somewhere I think. The ideal solution is to just kill Lashers from a range instead of engaging them in melee.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 01:31:41 pm »

This topic may explain why in a recent arena test of my Pokemon mod how Venusaur sliced off one of Blastoise's hydro-cannons(which should be made of steel, while Venusaur's vines use what I think I copied from wood defaults) in a single hit, then each subsequent attack caused severe internal damage until Blastoise died. Then again, I might have to tweak the [NATURAL_SKILL:WHIP] tag considerably.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 02:14:40 pm »

The problem with whips, I belive, is that they are supposed to be flexible, but DF thinks they're not. This, plus a very small contact area, results in lightsabers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »

I lost one of my greatest dwarves ever because she was swarmed by lashers. had a bunch of pages of her dodging the constant attacks, before finally taking a shot to the head.

Now, I find the method that works best for me, is to swarm them with as much soldiers as I can before that have the chance to counterattack.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 03:31:48 pm »

The problem with whips, I belive, is that they are supposed to be flexible, but DF thinks they're not. This, plus a very small contact area, results in lightsabers.
Also due to their insanely high speed multiplier. But yes, essentially its because DF isn't handling a whip correctly.
Pages: [1] 2 3