Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Finally I have Dwarf Fortress going over 700fps  (Read 7863 times)

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finally I have Dwarf Fortress going over 700fps
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2011, 03:38:16 pm »

I have an intel core i7 920 overclocked to 3.2ghz (originally at 2.67).
6 gigs high end gaming ram (it's been awhile...corsair I think)
I also built my rig myself about two years ago. Just my heatsinks and chip fans are the size of a football.

I have a decade old (in game that is) fort with 209 dwarves and everything else standard. I pasture all my animals save a few cats for vermin patrol.

I'm averaging 40fps. I want to pull my hair our that my comp can handle Skyrim (granted, I also have a top of the line video card, which DF doesn't even use I don't think) but can't get at least 100fps at this stage of my fortress.

Is the solution just waiting for better computers, or is there some way the code can be optimized to run better? What's the fun of turning off weather, water, embarking on 2x2, etc. I really want to embark on like 3x5 (perfect to zoom out with on a widescreen monitor) but I can only imagine how slow that would be. Sigh.

The solution is getting an i5 2500K or i7 2600K :P You've got a 3-year old processor and things have changed a lot in that time - and there's no point in waiting for the new LGA 2011 cpus, on a single-thread process like DF they won't be significantly better than a 2600K (and possibly worse if you're comfortable with overclocking). The next upgrade worth waiting for (for a game like DF) will be when we see the new Ivy Bridge cpus in April 2012.

If you upload the save, I can try your decade-old 40-fps fort on my 2600K @ 4.8GHz if you want an idea of the fps gain you'd get by upgrading (that goes for anyone else curious as well).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:53:06 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 08:05:12 pm »

The i5 may be slightly better for DF, since DF isn't multi-core and thus doesn't benefit from multi-threading.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »

What is this VBO graphics mode of which you speak?

Thanks for the offer Anathema but I think knowing how fast your comp could run my fort might lead to more sadness rather than less :P

I always hated upgrading processors and mobos because you have to start from scratch, while you can just swap out a drive, ram, or video card and don't have to reinstall OS and lose all your games and programs and be forced to spend hours reinstalling everything.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2011, 10:43:13 pm »

The i5 may be slightly better for DF, since DF isn't multi-core and thus doesn't benefit from multi-threading.

Hyperthreading doesn't slow down singlethreaded apps though, at least not in any significant way. That's a myth that just refuses to die - it had some truth to it in the early days of HT, when it was less efficiently implemented and OSes weren't designed to handle it, but not anymore. The 2600K is a slightly faster version of the 2500K with some extra features (such as HT) that don't help DF, but it's still a faster cpu.

(A better explanation of HT than I can give, with pictures!)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/308546-28-hyperthreading-affect-multithreaded-performance

Now you can definitely make the argument that the 2600K isn't cost effective compared to the 2500K for things like DF - you're mostly paying for extra features DF won't use, and you might not consider the small clock speed improvement worth the extra $100. Which is why I mentioned the 2500K, it's the better deal if cost is important, but it's certainly not going to beat a 2600K in absolute terms. For that matter the 2700K is a little better still (I've read they can consistently hit 5GHz+) if you want to spend more and can find one.

Oh, so - 'VBO' is one of the settings for PRINT_MODE in your init file (Dwarf Fortress\Data\init.txt). init.txt and d_init.txt contain a lot of useful settings, some of which affect performance, it should all be self-explanatory (Toady documented it well). I'm with you that it's not worth making the game less fun by turning off anything gameplay altering (temperature, weather) for the sake of fps, but there are some things in there that don't affect gameplay that might help.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:05:33 pm by Anathema »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 01:22:25 pm »

I have an intel core i7 920 overclocked to 3.2ghz (originally at 2.67).
6 gigs high end gaming ram (it's been awhile...corsair I think)
I also built my rig myself about two years ago. Just my heatsinks and chip fans are the size of a football.

I have a decade old (in game that is) fort with 209 dwarves and everything else standard. I pasture all my animals save a few cats for vermin patrol.

I'm averaging 40fps. I want to pull my hair our that my comp can handle Skyrim (granted, I also have a top of the line video card, which DF doesn't even use I don't think) but can't get at least 100fps at this stage of my fortress.

Is the solution just waiting for better computers, or is there some way the code can be optimized to run better? What's the fun of turning off weather, water, embarking on 2x2, etc. I really want to embark on like 3x5 (perfect to zoom out with on a widescreen monitor) but I can only imagine how slow that would be. Sigh.

The solution is getting an i5 2500K or i7 2600K :P You've got a 3-year old processor and things have changed a lot in that time - and there's no point in waiting for the new LGA 2011 cpus, on a single-thread process like DF they won't be significantly better than a 2600K (and possibly worse if you're comfortable with overclocking). The next upgrade worth waiting for (for a game like DF) will be when we see the new Ivy Bridge cpus in April 2012.

If you upload the save, I can try your decade-old 40-fps fort on my 2600K @ 4.8GHz if you want an idea of the fps gain you'd get by upgrading (that goes for anyone else curious as well).

Shelling out the money for a new motherboard and a new CPU for the comparatively marginal gain in speed is kind of silly.
A first generation i7 still is a very capable CPU.

Whilst the Sandy Bridge CPUs certainly are faster single-threaded, it's not that much of an increase to justify what basically is a total system overhaul.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2011, 08:22:06 pm »

Shelling out the money for a new motherboard and a new CPU for the comparatively marginal gain in speed is kind of silly.
A first generation i7 still is a very capable CPU.

Whilst the Sandy Bridge CPUs certainly are faster single-threaded, it's not that much of an increase to justify what basically is a total system overhaul.

Well, it's individual opinion how much of an upgrade justifies how much of a cost, can't argue with that - I was just offering to test a fort to provide some more solid data as to how much of an upgrade it would be exactly, so one could make a more informed decision.

Anyway it's hard to say without testing the same fort, but I suspect it's not a marginal upgrade - Sandy Bridges are reputed to have ~15% better clock-for-clock performance over the last generation due to architecture improvements, and a conservatively OC'd 2600K (say 4.4GHz) is another 37% raw clock speed over the conservatively OC'd 920 mentioned previously.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:24:42 pm by Anathema »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:40 pm »

When are these coming out? I assume they will need their own dedicated mobo architecture.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2011, 08:06:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2011, 10:59:18 am »

You know posting a screenshot right after unpausing doesn't count!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2011, 12:51:00 pm »

My jaw was about to break through the concrete floor. Then I realized you took a picture right after unpausing :P

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2011, 01:12:00 pm »

Actually, that was atleast a minute after unpausing!
It takes a heck of a long time for it to normalise to about 600 with everything on, and ~60 dwarves and ~250 animals, and even then it's all yackety-sax like. :3

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2011, 02:39:06 pm »

Oh god, slaughter some of those animals. You could feed the whole fortress for a few years if you killed a chunk of those dogs I'd bet...

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2011, 03:22:20 pm »

Dogs? Oh no!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2011, 06:44:54 pm »

To write that text...

Did you just build staircases down from above or did you cheat with DFReveal?
[Signature]

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2011, 08:15:21 pm »

Looks more like standard digging designations to me :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5